Starting our son on new meds today

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

inspiringmind
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Feb 2008, 2:00 pm

50 mg of Zoloft. We are using it mostly for his OCD, but when I got the medicine from the Pharmacy I was reading the little paper that comes with it and it amazes me all the different stuff it does help. Depression and social anxiety. I have been wanting to get him on meds for anxiety for years now. He took his first dose this morning and school ends in an hour and no calls. (Crossing my fingers/knock on wood.) I was reading some other threads here about Zoloft and I guess we will find out of it works for him in the upcoming weeks.

SoccerFreak
Toucan
Toucan

21 Feb 2008, 4:17 pm

watch his mood VERY closely as anti-depressants may cause suicide in children.

I took prozac in 3rd grade for depression, and it made my arms feel funny. :?

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 4:46 pm

Speaking out of my personal experience: antidepressants are a fake solution, yeah, of course they improve your mood, but they also take away a part of your personality, they daze you. I took them (Paxil, half of the average minimum dose) for 9 months, but they didn't solve any real problem, they just prevent you from feeling the pain, but the pain is still there, you gotta remove it in some other way. Of course this is ONLY my personal experience, but I know for sure that many professionals would agree. Best wishes

kattoo13
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2008, 4:51 pm

SoccerFreak wrote:
watch his mood VERY closely as anti-depressants may cause suicide in children.

I took prozac in 3rd grade for depression, and it made my arms feel funny. :?

that's exactly why i took my 8 year old son off of strattera. never again. he experienced the "black box effect" they warn you about..thoughts of death, severe mood swings.

i tried zoloft myself years ago and hated it. made me feel like i had a lobotomy.

greendeltatke
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Feb 2008, 5:27 pm

You know what else leads to suicide? Depression.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 5:57 pm

Rainbow-Squirrel wrote:
Speaking out of my personal experience: antidepressants are a fake solution, yeah, of course they improve your mood, but they also take away a part of your personality, they daze you. I took them (Paxil, half of the average minimum dose) for 9 months, but they didn't solve any real problem, they just prevent you from feeling the pain, but the pain is still there, you gotta remove it in some other way. Of course this is ONLY my personal experience, but I know for sure that many professionals would agree. Best wishes

yeah my friend stopped his anti-depressives because they made him feel happy when he wasn't happy and that was worse than not being happy in the first place

SoccerFreak
Toucan
Toucan

21 Feb 2008, 6:02 pm

greendeltatke wrote:
You know what else leads to suicide? Depression.

No one said don't take the meds. Just watch carefully while doing so.

kit000003
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2008, 12:52 am

deleted

ster
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 8:07 am

i think anti-depressants can help, if used along with therapy which , hopefully, will get at the root of the depression.

as with all medications, you'll need to keep an eye out for any negative side-effects. many anti-depressants & anti-anxiety meds have increased symptoms of anxiety and depression as a possible side effect........best wishes !

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 4:43 pm

Triangular_Trees wrote:
yeah my friend stopped his anti-depressives because they made him feel happy when he wasn't happy and that was worse than not being happy in the first place

Exactly, they make you a non-person. I have been nice to people I hate, I couldn't distinguish between good and bad, because everything seems good, oh, it SUCKS, and makes me angry to think about that, I've made things I would never do now that I'm myself once again, you (almost) completly lose contact with your emotions, and yes, I know many people here are uncomfortable with emotions (me included) but if there's one thing I've learnt from my battle with emotions is this: once you have completely lost contact with them you may as well die, it wouldn't make a big difference, you are already dead, even if you still breathe. I think antidepressants MAY be useful for a SHORT period of time when someone is experiencing a VERY painful moment, but they can't be a a long-term solution. As to me: NEVER AGAIN.

katrine
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 5:19 pm

My son's been helped greatly by medication (which of course never can stand alone.)
So good luck - I really hope it helps his OCD and anxiety!

beentheredonethat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2008, 11:40 pm

Find out if there are any studies or warnings about suicide in young children and teens. I, myself, am pro meds, but as someone who suffers from chronic unreasonable depression, I ease into a med VERY carefully. As someone else said, watch the kid closely.....and take the dose up VERY slowly. Also, read the article I posted above about "I'm not usually an alarmist, but...." And I'm not. I swear by Klonazepam, but my doctor was really careful when he put me on it, and I'm no teenager.

Good luck.

btdt