What would your resume look like

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

DomesticAdvocate
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Feb 2008, 6:02 pm

if you were to write down all of the attributes that makes you a successful parent of your special needs child?

AspergersGamer
Raven
Raven

28 Feb 2008, 7:10 pm

I can easly speak for my mom, she raised me alone,even though she did't know exactly what too she gave me 99% of my edjucation legally because I can't be around people at all,I broke down all the time, and could not pay attention because of my servere high fuctioning aspergers but she actually talked too me so I could pay alot more attention and so I got an amazing edjucation because she loved me so much and took great care of me by divoting her life too me

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 8:03 pm

AspergersGamer wrote:
I got an amazing edjucation

:D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:

Sorry, it's just too funny!

MomofTom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 8:15 pm

DomesticAdvocate wrote:
if you were to write down all of the attributes that makes you a successful parent of your special needs child?

I've been thinking about the same topic recently, in case I were ever able to re-enter the working world.
-detailed medical knowledge
-ability to educate medical staff and school staff on my child's specific issues
-occasional mind-reading
-over time has developed BDR, better known to us as "BS detecting radar" :lol: 8)
-keeps detailed records of correspondence, telephone calls, and treatment/therapy regimens
-ability to juggle the logistics of non-negotiable circumstances when dealing with the general public (ex.: severe food allergies on a school field trip or family gathering; knowing where the closest hospital is at all times; knowing who to--and who NOT to--deal with to help your child)
-coordinates schedule of multiple doctor visits, therapy appointments, school meetings
-awareness of legal issues that pertain to the situation (school adherence to IEP, or patient privacy laws, for example)
-ability to look at the big picture, knowing full well that the tiniest things can trip up a perfectly planned outcome...and still be able to roll with it
-knowing when to be serious and when to relax
-knowing when to say "no"; not being a doormat
-considers all life experience up to this moment has in some way prepared you for current experiences and future ones...that even the most inconsequential or bad things can in some way be used for positive growth

greendeltatke
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Feb 2008, 8:43 pm

AspergersGamer wrote:
I can easly speak for my mom, she raised me alone,even though she did't know exactly what too she gave me 99% of my edjucation legally because I can't be around people at all,I broke down all the time, and could not pay attention because of my servere high fuctioning aspergers but she actually talked too me so I could pay alot more attention and so I got an amazing edjucation because she loved me so much and took great care of me by divoting her life too me

You should show this post to your Mom. It would make her really happy. :)

DomesticAdvocate
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Feb 2008, 9:46 pm

thank you for sharing them with me. I too think about this a lot because right now my family is my job but sometimes I wonder what skills we have developed and what it would look like.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2008, 9:54 pm

Things my mom instilled in me include a love of education and reading and a love of animals.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2008, 10:59 pm

patient and understanding ( most of the time), flexible, knowledgeable about AS, willing to go the extra mile to get my child the services he needs to succeed.