Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

natesmom2000
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Apr 2008, 12:52 pm

Its ironic that I stumble on this thread because I was just having this discussion with my sons teachers and even bought 2 books to help me to tell him...because I feel that maybe he should know. The teachers told me that it is a very personal decision and that my son is very happy etc and doesnt seem to be struggling so maybe telling him at this point may be a bad thing. But I sit and think about it and I wonder if he is doing so well because he has always been informed of whats going on....and I wonder if he isnt struggling because its easier for him just to do as the romans do and not just be himself? He is 7yrs old. I dont know. Any thoughts??

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 4:30 pm

Sometimes, though, kids will come to it on their own, when they're ready. You can plant the seed, but then I do think it's important not to go overboard and give too much information.

I'm not sure what my son thinks about himself. I don't mention it. He does have a para that he says he doesn't really need but doesn't want me to say anything (he clicked well with him).

I guess he doesn't mind the extra adult attention and I don't know that it bothers him all that much. It is hard to gauge.

AussieBoy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 4:50 pm

I'm nine years old and smelana is my mum. I reckon you should tell him because if he finds out about it the next step is that you can teach him more about it to help him with cetain stuff that he needs help with. Its better to tell him then keep making up excuses as I call them for why he can't do certain stuff. It helped me a lot when my mum told me I had asperges. Otherwise I would still be wondering why I have certain problems with things

Jimmy

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 9:03 pm

If he's old enough to understand, he's old enough to know the truth.

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 10:01 pm

Only the truth will set you free.

equinn

CRACK
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 8:22 pm

My views of myself and my world sort of turned upside down when I found out at age 16 that I was Aspergerian. But I could have ended up in a worse position than I am in now if I never knew. Because it is important to realise that the point at which I was starting to hate myself and really go downhill happened BEFORE diagnosis, which in turn LEAD to diagnosis.

missdoc
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Apr 2008, 4:15 am

well I didn´t read whole the thread but when it goes about the question of "telling the TRUTH" personally, I think this is a bit overrated,I mean a lot of people have AS and even don´t know about it, there is a lot of people who got the diagnosis in their thirties and although they dave never understood why what´s the difference between them and another people, they still had the chance to think that everyone differs in the same way and just not take it too seriously to let it harm their self-esteem. If I could step back in time and choose, I wouldn´t like to know I have AS. I haven´t been told by anybody and-except a few aspects, I am quite comfortable with what I have achieved in my life, though I had some mental troubles I just couldn´t solve.