Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

natesmom2000
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Apr 2008, 12:40 pm

Hello all! I write asking parents for their help. I am currently listening to my husband and son in the driveway trying to get together and help my son ride a two wheeler. He is 7yrs old and this would be his first time trying. He used to have issues spatially and has been doing terrific. I can see where he would have an issue with this but I have no idea how to go about helping. Help!!

jaleb
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 12:43 pm

well, I don't know how much help I can be since neither of my boys will so much as ride a tricycle! but I am working on it, one thing I did learn just yesterday though, when I would tell him to push on the pedal, he was trying to push with both legs at the same time!! duh, stupid me! think literal. After I told him to push with one leg and then the other he did do a little better.

"Be kinder than necessary,
for everyone you meet is
fighting some kind of battle".

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

19 Apr 2008, 4:38 pm

My 2 Aspie sons can ride their 2 wheelers. They were both about 7.

We started off with the 2 wheeler and training wheels.

Then when they asked we took off their training wheels.

We found a quiet road with a long, flat stretch.

Then we got plenty of exercise holding onto the back of the bike and running.

Then we would let go and our sons would be riding by themselves (but not knowing it). They would say, 'Are you still holding on Mum?' and I would lie and say 'Yes'.

(This is because when I told them I had let go they'd promptly panic and fall off their bike!)

Then they'd stop for a rest and I'd tell them the truth, 'Actually, you did that all by yourself, I wasn't holding on'.

Eventually, with lots of practice they were able to ride in a straight line.

Then it progressed to practicing turns.

Now they love riding. My 9 year old son is not allowed to ride by himself on the road because he has NO road sense. I let him ride with one of his friends or me.

Helen

Jennyfoo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Apr 2008, 8:10 pm

My 9 y/o DD could not ride a tricycle at age 6- couldn't seem to get the peddling and steering down at the same time. At about 7, we bought her a razor scooter to help her learn balance and steering, then at 8 1/2 we moved on to a 2-wheeler without training wheels and she picked it up quickly. She loves to ride now and I'm glad we're across the street from the elementary school so she has a safe, big, open place to ride when she wants.

My biggest advice is to have patience, and if your hubby doesn't have the patience, then you nee to teach him. MY hubby has little patience, so I taught ALlaura how to ride both her scooter and her bike.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 3:16 pm

took quite a while to teach son to ride his bike. lots of falls, and "i give ups"....he learned eventually, but i don't think he really did well until he was around 8 or 9

rachel46
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Apr 2008, 6:48 pm

My son loves to ride (he's 11) his bike but it did take awhile. One thing we did to calm his fears about falling was initially let him begin learnin on the grass. Luckily, we lived near a huge park with wide open stretches of grass. He graduated from grass to concrete and away he went!

aurea
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 2:46 pm

Hey,
J is 9 and still having some issues with riding a two wheeler. Lol namely stopping now, lol.
It took ages, we tried teaching on the grass, it was to hard to push on the pedals.
My older son(18) had much more patience for this than I did, he put J at the top of a slight hill (a drive way) and then taught him first to just get his balance, no feet on the pedals and concentrate on steering. The hill gave just enough momentum. Next he taught him to DIG with his feet one foot at a time and to kkep the pedal on the chunky part of his foot just under his toes. He also told him "dont look at your feet".
He was very good and broke every single step down and taught him one thing at a time. Oh yeah lots of running holding on to the back of the seat, and lots of "Ok now try and run over mum" thats the one that worked the best. Stopping without crashing into something is still a work in progress.

Temma
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Apr 2008, 8:55 pm

My son is 7 and is very reluctant to ride his bike without trainer wheels. I like the suggestion of 'run over mum', haha, I think we'll give that a go!

Temma

Gromit
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 11:51 am

natesmom2000 wrote:
I am currently listening to my husband and son in the driveway trying to get together and help my son ride a two wheeler. He is 7yrs old and this would be his first time trying. He used to have issues spatially and has been doing terrific. I can see where he would have an issue with this but I have no idea how to go about helping. Help!!

There was a thread on that topic about a year ago. I suggested taking the pedals off a bike to make something like this:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6SXLHbl-eU[/youtube]

And here is an instruction video for a similar bike from a different company:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AZz93R-RtE[/youtube]

Last year, Wendy was thinking of trying that with her 8 year old. You could ask whether she did and how it worked.

These learner bikes without pedals are sized for kids from 2 to 4 years. For anyone older, just convert a conventional bike by removing chain and cranks. There are two bike-specific tools you would need, a chain tool and probably a large spanner, or ask a bike shop to take cranks and chain off for you. Shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes. Then let your son run around on the bike, let him learn to use the brake, and when he is comfortable with all that and asks to go faster, put the pedals and chain back on. I assume the bike will have two brakes to start with, one of them not being a coaster brake that has to be operated via the pedals.