Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

rottenlittleboys
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 May 2008, 1:12 pm

sinagua wrote:
And I definitely now appreciate just how ignorant/unsophisticated I was as a teenager, even though I thought I should be treated like an adult. Btw, if he wants to be an adult now, then he should be cleaning his own clothes and preparing his own meals for himself - cuz that's what adults do. You could even ask him for, say, ten bucks a month rent. After all, he wants to be so "Adult."

;) I'm half-joking here, but only half. Seriously, all teenagers who think they're ready for adulthood should be given measured doses of adult responsibilities. With great freedom comes great responsibility.

I want to hug you right now. :) Especially for the Spidey quote.

Catster2
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 7:22 pm

Like I said dont worry too much about the bad language bit but I really hope you can get some help for him in other areas of his life. To me making kids intergrate with NT kids can be a good thing but only in moderation growing up my mum constrantly made me intergrate with Nt kids and it was torture most of the time the other kid didnt want to be there and made that clear and I didnt want to be interacting at that particular time. Forcing intergration is IMO both emotionally and psychologically damaging are you able to get a psych to tell the school this?

samssmom
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 May 2008, 9:29 am

Sadly, the school cares about one thing -- money. Their psychologist seems to go along with the district. Our IEP team was furious with us whne we brought a letter from my SS's psychiatrist stating that he was suffering int he public school setting. They said that because he'd not contacted them, he had no right to form an opinion based only on my SS's feelings about school. They have had some small successes with my SS, but generally speaking, I see that they are failing him.

My primary concern right now is that my SS recently used bad language in front of a very young child, whose father happens to be an attorney. He threatened to sue us if it ever happens again. I don't know if there's anything that he can sue us for, and I don't knwo that a judge would feel like it's a worthy case, but the idea that he could try and that we'd have to come up with money to defend ourselves is very frightening.

My SS doesn't understand that my huasband and I can get into a huge amount of legal/financial trouble for things that he does. It just doesn't register with him that we will pay the bigger price for the trouble he gets into, not him, until he's an adult.