Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 8:06 pm

if you had a nine month old and she was saying stuff like "dada, dadadada" and "buh-buh", would you think those are real words where she recognizes me as dada and the bottle as buh buh or just babbling putting together random consonants and vowels honing her tongue's dexterity?

I say they're random convergences of sounds but my wife says they're real words.

alexbeetle
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 8:38 pm

its real words
babies can communicate as young as 6 months using signs if taught them, I guess formulating words is a bit harder and takes longer

It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy.

sinagua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 May 2008, 10:21 pm

Our son's first word (besides mama and dada) was "fuf" - we learned this meant "flower" but actually referred to all plant life, from grass to trees. :)

We were delighted by this. :D

mom2bax
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 May 2008, 11:37 pm

i think it depends, it could definately be real words or just practice syllables, i guess you would have to look at it in context, although from your other post when she said dada as you held her i would say it is meaningful speech.

acannon
Raven
Raven

24 May 2008, 8:36 am

My five month old has said mmgee (as in hungry), hey, Mama, Dada, and "Hey, Dada" all as words, not just random sounds. Sometimes he does go dadada just randomly to try out sounds, but he will say words. The first time he said Mama for real, he was crying and I walked into the room, and he looked up at me and said, "Mama!" so we definitely counted that. His first word was hey. He'll sometimes say hey, and if we don't answer back, he'll keep saying it until we say hey back. It's cute.