a quick question if anyone can help...

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Krikkit
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Oct 2005, 4:39 pm

Hi! I babysit a boy with Aspergers and I have been trying to find out everything I can about it. I was talking to the boy's mom recently and she mentioned that when he begins to develop a new trait or ability, his previously learned skills sometimes draw back. She described it as if he pulls in and gets ready to emerge with new abilities or skills. Has anybody had any experience with this? Is it common? Thanks a lot!

Kristin :D

yealc
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2005, 9:40 pm

Is he imitation or really grasping the skills?

BTW: is your name from the hitchikers guide?

Y

"I never could get the hang of Thursdays"

25 Oct 2005, 10:18 pm

I think he's really grasping the stuff. He's learning to swim now...

No, my Dad always called me Krikkit. I don't know why though...

irishmic
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Oct 2005, 8:45 am

A wonderful trait of the aspergers mind is its ability to focus in, and learn the inticacies of a frame of thought or series of actions. Unfortunately, it can only focus on one thing at a time. In a young immature mind this may have a tendency to dissolve previously learned behavior from the concious mind. Rest assured, the old information is still there, it just is not currently accessable, or necessarily interesting to the child with Asperger's.

Science is still trying to figure out how much this has to do with the theory of Autism as excessive maleness.

yealc
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2005, 8:39 pm

irishmic describes what happens to me often. I always say it is in my head but I can't use it right now. It will come back when I need it and I will understand it all perfectly.

Y

"I never could get the hang of Thursdays"

lazy-Jane
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Oct 2005, 10:24 pm

Not sure its the same thing, but when little brother was young and learning to talk, everytime he would advance his skills he would stutter. Then he would stop stuttering and talk better then before. It happened several times before he finnaly just knew how to talk and stopped stuttering.