Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

No_YOU_get_over_it
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jul 2008, 8:18 am

Do you mean like dooce.com ?

Her daughter isn't necessarily Aspie, but initially had some physical developmental issues. Dooce has come under a lot of criticism for posting so openly, and is aware her daughter might hate her for it. I presume there's a lot she doesn't post; her style is in-your-face, so people seem to presume she's an open book. She's certainly more discrete and tasteful than are the myriad me-too bloggers who ape her monthly letter format.

Equinn, are you thinking of writing a book about your kid/s?

NB: contents of above post represent my opinion at time of post only. YMMV, NAYY, and most importantly, IALBTC!

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 12:43 pm

My AS son knows I post on forums and that I've been able to get useful information doing so. He can read over my shoulder if he wants to; I don't hide anything. Truth is, he doesn't really care. He knows it's annonymous and he simply trusts that I'm not exploiting him or being gossipy. I think he also sees the benefits as outweighing the costs. I can talk about him right in front of him; he's never impatient or rolling his eyes or anything; he just may chime in with a clarification or two.

My NT daughter, however, is very sensitive about my talking about her. And she has told me so. I've told her I do it because I love her, I'm proud of her, and also because sometimes I could use a sounding board on how to help her, but she still hates it. So, I'm trying to be respectful of that.

Bottom line, as your children get older, it's good to know how they feel about it, and respect that. They do have a right to some input on anything that concerns them.

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2008, 11:20 am

Thanks for all the responses.

I didn't mean this forum, exactly, I meant outside this forum as in an editorial. I've tried and feel guilty so I don't continue. I finally did write something but kept my son's name private.

Funny, when I was finished writing it, unexpectedly, my son asked what I was writing about (I always write and he never asks this question) and so I explained and sort of asked his permission and he said "No, I don't want someone coming after me." And that was that.

I have written fiction (180 pages or so), but that's another story. That I feel is okay because it is entirely fiction and the setting is in the past with fictional characters. This has helped me tremendously.

As for writing a book about my son, nonfiction? No way. I don't think I could do that. It's too revealing. If he wants to write about himself one day, that's fine.

I was speaking in terms of a shorter piece, informational, with some anecdotal parts thrown in there. I was wondering why it's hard to write and why I feel guilty about it? Your responses have helped me to understand better.

Also,my sons' response tells me he 1) doesn't exactly have an opinoin on the matter 2) didin't want to talk about it and probably isn't interested 3) is in complete denial about having autism and believes its my "obsession" -maybe he's right. : )

Imagine, I actually almost believe him? I do tend to get obsessed with my subjects. I tried to explain that its for his benefit, so I can help him. Initially, yes. But, now, I'll admit it's a fascinating topic for me. Anyone else feel the same?

equinn