Afraid of dogs, but wants one.........

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Tortuga
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Dec 2007
Gender: Female
Posts: 535

01 Aug 2008, 4:39 pm

My son is terrified of dogs. He's not afraid of them biting. He's afraid of them barking. He has an aversion to the sound of barking. When we walk around our neighborhood, he will avoid places where we've heard a dog bark before.

But, he begs me constantly to get a pet dog for him. He wants the dog to keep him company in the house. He thinks the dog will make him less fearful.

I'm wondering if he could get used to the sound of his own dog barking. I told him that all dogs bark some of the time. I don't understand his strong aversion to barking, so I don't know if he could get used to his own pet...or if it would be a disaster.



ster
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Sep 2005
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,485
Location: new england

01 Aug 2008, 4:58 pm

what about pet-sitting for someone ?......i just don't know that he'll get used to a dog's bark...



ViatorRose
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2008
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 61

01 Aug 2008, 5:37 pm

Have you considered a cat instead? This would provide some of the companionship without the barking.



Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jun 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,662

01 Aug 2008, 6:03 pm

Have you thought about getting a trained service dog. I have heard they have those that work well with aspies, and they wouldn't bark. The other suggestion is get a puppy... puppies don't bark for a while... and when they do it is such a cute bark that he probably wouldn't be afraid of it and can gradually get himself used to bigger dog barks. Then theres the fact that if you train a dog right, they rarely bark anyway (once of twice a day tops) so he would have 10 seconds of fear and 23 hours 59 minutes and 50 seconds of fun. Sounds well worth the trade off.


_________________
"we never get respect ... never a fair trial
[swearing removed by lau] ... as long as we smile"
Im tired of smiling.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D


DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Jul 2008
Age: 56
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,884
Location: Victoria, Australia

01 Aug 2008, 7:11 pm

Getting a dog could be fantastic for him. I dont know wether he will get used tho the sound of his own dog barking however there are a couple of options.
Get a Basenji they do not bark.
Or get a puppy train it well and if necesary get a citronella bark collar. One solution may be to teach the dog to bark on command and be quite in command, maybe having control like this will give your son confidence in the barking. I would suggest that you dont get any kind of small terrier, do research on the breeds that are more likely to be yappy. One more thing this may sound odd but two dogs are much easier to manage than one on its own.

check out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basenji


_________________
"I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance anyday"
Douglas Adams

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx


Mage
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Oct 2006
Age: 41
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,054

01 Aug 2008, 7:18 pm

I think cats should be the official autism spectrum animal.



EvilTeach
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 14 Mar 2007
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 196

01 Aug 2008, 7:49 pm

With a dog you are family,

With a cat you are staff.

In general an aspy will relate better to an animal that can bond with them.



zghost
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Age: 45
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,190
Location: Southeast Texas

01 Aug 2008, 8:16 pm

Quote:
Get a Basenji they do not bark.

No they don't, but most of them have no loyalty and run off at any chance. We had one, knew others with them too.

See how is is around friends/ other people's dogs. If he wants one, it would probably be okay.



Tortuga
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Dec 2007
Gender: Female
Posts: 535

01 Aug 2008, 8:40 pm

ViatorRose wrote:
Have you considered a cat instead? This would provide some of the companionship without the barking.


He is allergic cats, but not dogs.



Tortuga
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Dec 2007
Gender: Female
Posts: 535

01 Aug 2008, 8:41 pm

Endersdragon wrote:
Have you thought about getting a trained service dog. I have heard they have those that work well with aspies, and they wouldn't bark. The other suggestion is get a puppy... puppies don't bark for a while... and when they do it is such a cute bark that he probably wouldn't be afraid of it and can gradually get himself used to bigger dog barks. Then theres the fact that if you train a dog right, they rarely bark anyway (once of twice a day tops) so he would have 10 seconds of fear and 23 hours 59 minutes and 50 seconds of fun. Sounds well worth the trade off.


I did look into getting a service animal. They are so expensive, like $6,000-$14,000.



2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Jul 2007
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,192

01 Aug 2008, 8:47 pm

EvilTeach wrote:
With a dog you are family,

With a cat you are staff.


Your right there



DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Jul 2008
Age: 56
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,884
Location: Victoria, Australia

01 Aug 2008, 8:54 pm

zghost wrote:
Quote:
Get a Basenji they do not bark.

No they don't, but most of them have no loyalty and run off at any chance. We had one, knew others with them too.

See how is is around friends/ other people's dogs. If he wants one, it would probably be okay.


Dont want to sound mean but its like any working dog you have to train them and provide a secure yard that they cant get out of


_________________
"I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance anyday"
Douglas Adams

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx


chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Age: 48
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,065
Location: Idaho

03 Aug 2008, 11:43 pm

Purebred Border Collies hardly ever bark.