Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

aspieseverywhere
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Aug 2008, 12:29 pm

I was wondering if anyone can relate or provide advice. I have a step son with a huge issue with being touched primarily and often (not always) touching others. Has anyone worked on increasing tolerance for this? It is an issue as he was very briefly left in the care of my 7 month old and 2 year old while I went to the front yard- when I returned he had left because the little one had fallen and was caught in a toy in an unsafe position. So instead of rescuing her he ran???
I know this sensory issue impacts more than his time here so I was wondering if anyone else has worked on this to increase tolerance with their child or stepchild???

Thanks!

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 3:51 pm

And WHY do people want to hit him so? ***YOU*** may not look at it as hitting, but HE probably does, and it often IS by any reasonable definition!

As you can probably tell, I feel the SAME way, and I am over 40 years old. I "tolerate" it, but harbor resentment for those that do. If a waitress does it, she gets NO tip!

picklejah
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Aug 2008, 4:06 pm

First, you didn't mention how old your step son was.

My son went to Occupational Therapy for 2 years for Sensory Tactile Defensiveness. It has helped immensely. He still is very particular about his clothing because it's close to his skin. But as far as touching, he is much more tolerant.

I think what 2ukenkerl is trying to say is: To your step son, certain touch can feel like a hit to him. His sense of touch is very enhanced and pronounced.

Many children with Asperger's have different sensory systems. My son also has extremely enhanced hearing. He can hear things that many people can't. For instance: I asked him what noises in particular bothered him so that he could not concentrate on his work at school. His reply was "The sound of the other kids clothes making noise when they moved." He also is extremely sensitive to bright colors and bright light. He wears sunglasses most of the time.

Bunni
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2008, 4:08 pm

I'm confused by much of what the OP decribes.

As far as sensitivity to touch, for those that are, it's much like a feeling of torture to them. A sensory overload. It can feel painful or like burning.

I probably would not have left him alone to be responsible for two young children.

I also don't see where touch has anything to do with rescuing a younger child from a situation. Do you mean he does not like to be touched and does not like to touch others as well?

If that's the case, he can't turn it on and off because the situation demands it :) If things were that easy, chances are AS wouldn't be much of an issue for anyone :) Not simply a choice here.

That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger, and really pisses me off.

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 4:53 pm

unles he has been exposed to and trained what to do in any unique, novel situation he wont know what to do.
teach him all possibilities or to come running TO YOU when he sees something he cant cope with remember we rote lear, and act speak communicate by intellect and learning, not by intuition.