Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

annie2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Aug 2008, 10:29 pm

Does anyone else's child appear to thrive on change, and get bored with familiarity? My son seems to go ok with a teacher for about a term, and then things pack in a bit (eg. meltdowns). He had his classes changed around, about 8 weeks ago (goes to three different classes at the moment), and he thrived on this for awhile (happy as and no meltdowns), but now the meltdowns are starting up in the different classes. Just wondering whether he is the type of child that gets bored easily and needs a change in environment on a regular basis? Any comments from parents or people with AS who experience this would be appreciated.

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 2:42 am

seems strange. i usually need an every day routine. well, i don't mind changing my life, like moving to another country, but i very quickly restore the routine after. its true that people bore me, but when they do i just don't pay too much attention to them. maybe your son has high expectations and then gets disappointed? it's difficult to understand.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 5:24 am

is it possible that after the teachers "get used to him & his needs", that they begin to assume that he no longer needs his accomodations-and therefore begin to eliminate them & change their expectations of him ?

Emen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Aug 2008, 3:46 pm

Hi there,
Just wondered - has he said that he gets bored?

Could it be that as he gets further into the work, it gets harder and he's struggling in some way? In which case the meltdowns may be an avoidance strategy.
Could it be something to do with the other kids he has to work with - eg. as he becomes more known to them are they discounting/ignoring his contributions, excluding him in some way?
Have you discussed it with his teachers and do they have any suggestions?

Sorry I don't have any answers, but asking some more questions might help you get to the bottom of it.

aurea
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2008, 4:16 pm

Hi, my son is often saying he is bored. I have heard or read some where that boredom in aspies is higher than in NT's. However my 9yr old son hates change.

Just wondering if he supresses his emotions/quirks when things change until such a time that he is either a) comfortable with the routine, or b) can no longer cope and the new change didn't live up to his expectations. Just as an after thought, perhaps (Icould be very wrong who am I to say) he may find happiness in learning the rules to each change, once he has learnt them he needs a new challenge.