Australian Government - New Medicare Help for Autism

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

23 Sep 2008, 11:10 pm

From 1 July 2008, six items are available on the Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS) as part of the Australian Government’s $190 million Helping Children with Autism package. These items allow allied health professionals to provide services for children aged under 13 years (for diagnosis) and under 15 years (for treatment) with autism or any other pervasive developmental disorder (PDD). The MBS items have been developed in close consultation with allied health professional organisations.

These items apply to services provided by eligible psychologists, speech pathologists and occupational therapists. The items cover two specific types of services that allow allied health professionals to:

Collaborate with the referring practitioner (consultant psychiatrist or paediatrician) in the diagnosis of the child and/or development of the child’s treatment plan; and
Provide treatment to the patient for their particular condition, consistent with the treatment and management plan prepared by the referring practitioner.

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/autism-childern-factsheet

Temma
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Sep 2008, 3:43 pm

Hi Smelana,

thanks for posting that info.

There's been a bit of confusion about how many reduced payment sessions you get with an allied health professional. I've found out that it's 20 sessions in your child's lifetime, not 20 a year, which a lot of people think. (I called Medicare and got someone to explain it to me). After the 20 sessions have finished, you pay full price.

My son needs far more than 20 sessions with an OT and a speechie.

I'm not sure though if the 20 sessions mean a mix of services, such as 10 speech and 10 OT, or if it's 20 per professional, such as 20 speech and 20 OT.

Temma

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

24 Sep 2008, 4:04 pm

The 20 is total, not each profession. Still, it's a start.

Helen

leechbabe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Sep 2008, 4:24 am

Something is better than nothing.

:)

aurea
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 1:14 am

Well the pressure is on now to make the right choice. Where are my sons 20 sessions best spent? He needs them all now, however if we use them now, what happens next year and the year after that? We still have a long long way to go. The first few sessions would be spent with my son and the treating professional getting to know each other. There goes a few sessions before the real work takes place. Its not that I'm ungrateful, because I am. It just not enough. And what when he turns 15 he is cured? Nope I am anticipating or at least not ruling out the need for extra help. :roll: