Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

aurea
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 3:15 pm

My 10 year old AS son has been experiencing de ja vu (that he has been telling me about) for about 12 months now, but lately it has gotten worse. He is frightened by it all, it only lasts a little while but he will freeze up or refuse to do what ever it is he was about to do because he is scared. He says he doesn't feel right.

I did a search on de ja vu, some sites say it can be related to seizures. I did have him checked for seizures last year, due to the It doesn't feel right statement and he was doing an eye rolling thing, he had two eeg's done, one awake and one drosey (cant spell) both came back ok apparently. The neurologist couldn't explain it and said it was probably AS behaviour. He hasn't done the eye rolling thing for a while now, at least 5 months. My son is also now seeing a psychologist due to his anxiety, but I'm now wondering if his anxiety is more than usual because of these de ja vu things. When they happen he is extremely scared.

Any input would be great thanks in advance. :)

SilverStar
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 3:38 pm

Here's a link about deja vu, although it doesn't really list any specific conditions that cause it. Interesting...

http://psychology.suite101.com/article. ... s_of_dj_vu

aurea
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 9:17 pm

8O Can no one else shed some light on this?

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 9:30 pm

My son gets deja vu all the time. he'll stop, freeze and say deja vu, this happened before. He isn't afraid of it though. It's kind of neat, actually. I've always had it as a kid too. Not so much anymore.

I never considered a seizure. I'm sure that's not what it is.

best,

equinn

ster
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 5:54 am

i have it all the time, but it doesn't scare me...........wish i could help more

FD
Raven
Raven

13 Mar 2009, 7:10 am

Are you sure its deja vu? Can he describe it? I do get deja vu quite alot, but it would never feel too strange or stop me in my tracks.

My husband has 'Alice in Wonderland Syndrome', which is a 'strange' experience that he doesnt really like. It is when things around you are distorted, maybe the wrong size, or time going too fast or slow.

For eg. his hand would look 'HUGE' and everything else look tiny at the same time. Or eg. things moving really fast around him and he is in slow motion at the same time. It all only lasts a minute or two at a time. I think it starts at about age 7yrs.

Maybe its not this at all, but it took me allot of research to find a name for this 'experience' and thought I would share it with you incase it is the same thing, cause its so hard to describe.

I have found out that it is not harmful and you grow out of it by adulthood. It doesnt happen to my husband anymore now. I did ask a question on this site to see if it is common in AS and a few people reported having it too!.

I'm probably way off the beaten track, but thought I share it with you anyhow. xx