Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

javabuz
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Mar 2009, 3:50 pm

pedialyte popsicles. My kids live on them when they are sick. Forces them to sip slowly...they think they are getting a treat....the coldness sooths their throat. You can make you're own.

good luck

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 6:50 pm

It is probably the rotavirus or winter bug which causes gastroenteritis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotavirus

or it could be Norovirus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norovirus

Hospitals don't like it because sick patients and old people can get it. So they will try to get rid of you. If she gets tummy pain something warm may help.

Bare in mind that you might come down with it, so good idea to wash hands often.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 9:22 pm

digger1 wrote:
she's 19 months. She's not stuffy, no sneezing. Just coughing when she's about to vomit up what she ate.

anyone knows if there's an antiemetic for babies/toddlers?

DON'T give her an antiemetic!! !! ! If the vomiting is due to digestive problems, poisoning, etc... it is a GOOD thing! Frankly, when I felt like that, I felt BETTER after vomiting.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 9:23 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
If your daughter has symptoms similar to a cold, but also throws up, then she probably has a flu. Give her plenty of fluids and vitamins. And despite the hyped-up warnings in the media, I think it is best to give some cold medications, just so she wouldn't have to suffer. (Whoever came up with those warnings clearly forgot what it's like to have a flu as a child.) However, an old remedy goes like this: have your daughter take a hot bath before going to bed, then sleep under a thick blanket in a warm room. This is uncomfortable, but it's supposed to sweat the flu out of a person. I once tried it, and felt much better after a few nights of doing this. So if Olivia is willing to put up with the discomfort, this may be helpful. Another remedy, popular in most of Eastern Europe, is drinking strong hot tea with lemon and honey as many times a day as you can handle. The tea has mild antiseptic properties that weaken the flu virus, making it easier for your body to fight it.

Don't give her aspirin though!

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 9:30 pm

digger1 wrote:
the discharge instructions state it's the common cold and it makes mention to it being caused by a virus.

She can't even hold down water so we're giving it to her teaspoon by teaspoon every 5 minutes for the next hour.

She's not running a temperature. When they did her temp at the ER, it was 96.9°F.

When she vomits, she looses all the color in her face. her normally rosy lips turn very pale and she gets dark rings around her eyes. Shortly after her vomiting bout the color returns to her face.

We've been in constant contact with the pediatrician's office. The nurse has been giving us tips. We have an appointment for tomorrow.

She is very cuddly which is the best part of this.

Oh, I'm getting over a bad case of gastroenteritis and my wife has a new case of it so we suspect Olivia has it.

Believe me, if it were simply a cold and the sniffles, I wouldn't be so worried but she can't hold anything down including water and crackers and if she doesn't have anything in her gut, she throws up bile. So, yeah, I'm worried.

I would say hold off on the crackers until she stops vomiting. The fact that she is vomiting bile IS scary. I would say take her to ANOTHER doctor, and tell HIM or HER about that! Everything you said regarding her symptoms, catching the virus from you, etc... sounds logical, and fits. That bit about the bile is what I would be concerned with.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 10:48 pm

she's able to hold down more and more. We've been giving her increasing amounts of pedialyte since yesterday evening and she hasn't thrown up since. We're up to 1 oz. every 15 to 20 minutes and 1/2 piece of plain toast as desired (if she doesn't want it, we don't give it). She's certainly got her energy back! :D

ster
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2009, 8:41 am

so glad she's feeling better

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2009, 10:33 am

digger1 wrote:
she's able to hold down more and more. We've been giving her increasing amounts of pedialyte since yesterday evening and she hasn't thrown up since. We're up to 1 oz. every 15 to 20 minutes and 1/2 piece of plain toast as desired (if she doesn't want it, we don't give it). She's certainly got her energy back! :D

If it a virus then the vomiting is the first stage. But this stage is the most contagious. Make sure you wash you hands. You can get alcohol gel at the pharmacy. It is really good as it dries on, so you don't have to wash it off.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2009, 10:41 am

2ukenkerl wrote:
DON'T give her an antiemetic!! !! ! If the vomiting is due to digestive problems, poisoning, etc... it is a GOOD thing! Frankly, when I felt like that, I felt BETTER after vomiting.

You say this with what authority?

Vomiting can be bad. You can become malnourish very quickly if you can't hold anything down. I have reach dangerously low levels of potassium through vomiting, had to be kept in hospital with a drip over two days and have my heart checked. Especially as this is an infant this is even more important.

If you have an illness that is causing you to vomit profusely the high you feel after vomiting is very short lived if at all there.

Your advice on "digestive poisoning" is outdated and refers mostly to bacterial infections and not viruses. "Starving" gastric flu is not recommended unless you keep tab on your nutrients.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2009, 12:05 pm

no such thing as a stomach or gastric flu. Influenza is a respiratory infection.

I tend to agree with vomiting being a good thing to eject what's wrong but not when you're throwing up bile. Bile is harsh and tastes nasty. You both make good points. I was asking about the antiemetic after she started throwing up bile and after she couldn't hold anything including water and her BRAT diet down. She's only 19 moths old, she needs to stay hydrated and nourished. Fortunately the nurse was able to give us instructions on how to get her back on track. Now she's right as rain except her poo is green from the grape pedialyte. :?

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2009, 12:18 pm

digger1 wrote:
no such thing as a stomach or gastric flu. Influenza is a respiratory infection.

semantics, it is not actually flu it is just called that.

It is one think throwing up once or twice but if you are constantly retching bile that is another thing. Bile does not just taste bad it also burns the oesophagus. Gastric fluid has a pH of 1-2.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2009, 12:27 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:

You say this with what authority?

Vomiting can be bad. You can become malnourish very quickly if you can't hold anything down. I have reach dangerously low levels of potassium through vomiting, had to be kept in hospital with a drip over two days and have my heart checked. Especially as this is an infant this is even more important.

If you have an illness that is causing you to vomit profusely the high you feel after vomiting is very short lived if at all there.

Your advice on "digestive poisoning" is outdated and refers mostly to bacterial infections and not viruses. "Starving" gastric flu is not recommended unless you keep tab on your nutrients.

Well, then you should have some OTHER doctor look at her. YEAH, you can suffer a lot of damage, become dehydrated, malnurished, etc.... from vomiting too much. You can also DIE from NOT doing so. So you shouldn't just try to avoid it.
BTW poisoning is NOT just because of bacteria! It can be because of POISONS! And bacterias CAN create them, but other poisons can exist as well.

As for it being outdated? FUNNY, we just had a MAJOR recall in the US!! !! !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botulism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmonella

BOTH of those STILL exist, and cause vomiting and, at least Botulism is NOT caused by a bacteria, but by the toxin it releases!

And I wasn't talking about encouraging vomiting! I ALSO wasn't talking about vomiting to starve anything. I just don't want you to make a mistake. You MIGHT be right about the source of the illness, but the bile sounds bad. I would STILL say have a doctor look at her. If worse comes to worse, they can give her an IV, and something to make her relax and ride out the sickness.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2009, 12:33 pm

I wasn’t saying that bacterial infections don't exist. I said the advice you should vomit your way out of illness is wrong. There are other ways that you body clear itself of toxins. Vomit doesn't clean your blood. If you have drunk poison then stomach pump might be part of the solution but not necessarily the whole.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2009, 9:18 pm

Digger1, I am very glad you were able to get her hydrated and that she is now starting to feel better. That is all that matters; you found the information you needed.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2009, 7:40 am

0_equals_true wrote:
I wasn’t saying that bacterial infections don't exist. I said the advice you should vomit your way out of illness is wrong. There are other ways that you body clear itself of toxins. Vomit doesn't clean your blood. If you have drunk poison then stomach pump might be part of the solution but not necessarily the whole.

You contradicted yourself! You spoke of cleaning the blood, like that is important. It IS!! !! !! !! But you said there are other ways of the body to clean itself of toxins, other than vomiting. There really AREN'T ones that work the same way. There are really only about 3 ways....

1. THROW UP and get most of the new offending material out. Even with bacteria, the less you ingest, the quicker recovery can be.
2. Hope some defense(there is really no reliable one for most chemicals) acts on things to deactivate them, or prevent them from passing to the blood.
3. Clean the blood(this means you get the full effect of the toxins, and can stress out organs like the liver and kidneys.).

And throwing up IS like nature's stomach pump.

Anyway, I am just trying to help.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2009, 3:00 pm

First you are comparing chemical poisoning with infections. Yes some infection produce chemical toxins not all can be cleared by vomiting though.

This little girl had nothing left to vomit. It only takes a small number of vomits to clear the stomach. This is what I am talking about, she has already done vomiting. Continuing vomiting is not helping her.