Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2009, 5:27 pm

Dee_ wrote:
I am both ASD and ADHD

I have a daughter who is ASD
I have 2 sons who are ADD (actually one is ADD, other is ADHD).

Both of my boys exhibit ADD traits but function as NT's otherwise, outside the ADD behavior set... similar to me when I am having an ADHD moment which is dominate over me ASD things... Outside ADD things, they do not exhibit any ASD behaviors...

My daughter exhibits ASD behavior which is consistent.... very similar to me when I am in ASD moments which are dominate over ADHD things...

I noticed with me, in some cases, the ADHD behaviors are magnified or increased by ASD, in other cases the ASD and ADHD balances each other out (not quite but minimizes when 2 polar opposite behaviors are playing out and balancing two extremes into a middle ground somewhere)...

I do not think ADHD should be in the spectrum..

It is like saying color blindness should be linked only with being left handed

right handed (NT), left handed (ASD)
color blind (ADD/ADHD), not color blind (non ADD/ADHD)...

like,
I am left handed and color blind
my daughter is left hadned but not color blind...
my sons are right hadned but color blind...

some similar tihngs between ASD and ADD/ADHD but I believe ther eis too much differences between the two because they are derived from different sources...

ASD -> genetic - how the mind is wired
ADD/ADHD -> brain chemistry

how the mind is wired can have similar results as how the brain chemistry creates results that can be seen...

maybe other similar things can be an extention or result from autism and non-autism genes or other things.... there is a lot that is still not understood about the brain...

Doctors know a lot of things but you yourself know your own self more than anyone else.... Properly quipped with your own diagnostic tools, you can learn about yourself more than anyone else can learn about you...

My two cents worth...

also how the brain is wired will have differnt things than ADD/ADHD...

Actually, they are now talking about ADHD/ADD people having some of the same strengths/weaknesses of autism, and medicines apparently often work in the same odd ways.

And part of the reason for putting them on drugs is SOCIAL PROBLEMS.

jenny8675309
Raven
Raven

20 Apr 2009, 5:54 pm

*I* know what PDD-NOS means. Getting the diagnosis isn't easy when the doc doesn't get to see the kid in a social setting. :?

Ster, yes, let me know what the re-eval turns up and I'll do the same. LOL My son is getting a re-eval at school too.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2009, 6:11 pm

I think all neurological differences should be under the bigger autism umbralla, many of us have at least one.... myself a few, and to me unfortunately it’s still a bit like breaking open a piñata and depending on which direct you go, is what you get diagnosed with and what help you receive!

The way I see it apart from being on the autism spectrum I have many co morbid / associated conditions… in fact a whole list, not sure anyone has it right, including myself. Often our labels can get over complicated... and near impossible to know which bit is which, with many overlaps, but any label does not change who we are. I have my own simplified version - The center as I see it, is us - the Autism heart, differently minded part... Surrounding the center are a web with many chaotic paths, often disjointed and ineffective, as these neuro associated conditions, co morbid mental disorders (or misunderstood difference), environmental factors continue to circle around the most important part of us, our autism core, the very being of who I am.

More of my thought on this:
http://asplanet.info/index.php?option=c ... Itemid=125

ster
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2009, 5:08 am

asplanet- very interesting description :)
jenny- will do.....i'lll be curious to see what yours comes out like too

annie2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Apr 2009, 12:04 am

GreatCeleryStalk wrote:
. I'm not sure how giftedness belongs on a spectrum which deals with impairment, however.

Oh, there are definitely gaps (impairments) with giftedness. For a start, most gifted people have lower social skills or are quirky. Then there are the co-morbids: Aspergers, dyslexia etc. Then there are the gifted with learning disabilities (twice exceptional). Personally, I think most gifted people are on the autistic spectrum, even if it's only right on the edge.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 3:32 am

annie2 wrote:
I think most gifted people are on the autistic spectrum, even if it's only right on the edge.

I tend to agree, many of us on the spectrum seem to be on the edge of somethinkg :alien:
and as Asperges has not been around that long, what were all those interesting, deverse, differetly minded individulas called 8O

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 8:27 pm

asplanet wrote:
annie2 wrote:
I think most gifted people are on the autistic spectrum, even if it's only right on the edge.

I tend to agree, many of us on the spectrum seem to be on the edge of somethinkg :alien:
and as Asperges has not been around that long, what were all those interesting, deverse, differetly minded individulas called 8O

I know, I know!
Having been one of those for 56 years, I can tell you when I was well to do, they called me eccentric technical genius, when I was hard scrabble living in the tent, I was the crazy old cat lady with a mind like an encyclopedia." When I was a child it was 'willful, stubborn! with a beautiful voice," and I really thought this was part of my name "Oh, Merle, why do you always have to be different?

Merle