final definitive version of pokemon gen 1

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

MegamanJ
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Jul 2021, 12:23 pm

I've posted in a lot of these forums before and I've gotten lots of answers from all of you but this is the very last time I'll be asking this question about gen 1 of Pokemon. My question is which version of generation one should I play?
I have watched the Pokemon anime and I am going to read the Pokemon manga at some point but before I do read it I would like to play a Pokemon Kanto game for the answers I want to get I'd like to know which one of all the Kanto Pokemon games is a good game to begin to get into the Pokemon franchise such as the mechanics of the game, the plot and story, the interactions with the world, the best level of understanding the game, and the general quality fun of the game. Also, I know Mega Evolution is in let's go Pikachu and Eevee but unlike oras it is not a very big plot element in the game and can be skipped if you choose. I think so that's why I would like someone to answer which out of all the games based on the Kanto region is the most fun and awesome one to play and get into Pokemon and to become a fan of it. I hope whoever answers this can help me. I played a little bit of let's go Pikachu and Eevee but quit after losing to Lieutenant surge and I've played a bit of FireRed and LeafGreen but then I don't know, I got kind of bored after I defeated Lieutenant search. Then I played a little bit of yellow and stopped after the battle with my rival. Please tell me what you think the first kanto based game I should play.
Thanks!

Last edited by MegamanJ on 21 Jul 2021, 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2021, 12:25 pm

I like FireRed/LeafGreen the most but the OG releases, Yellow, FR/LG and Let's Go Versions are all slightly different games, they're not meant to be 100% interchangeable.

Play the one you like.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2021, 4:41 pm

FireRed and Leaf green are considered the go-to's for Kanto.

Red, Blue, and Yellow are still quite enjoyable imo. You just have to know what you're getting into when you start. Ie: the game is very unbalanced, certain mechanics don't work as intended, psychic types are OP (Kadabra can steamroll the game alone), TM's only have one use, lots of pokemon don't learn very good moves through level-up, Special Attack/Defense are not separate stats, etc.
Yellow is also slightly different. Yellow is good if you are a big fan of the anime, since it lets you get Pikachu at the start and then eventually the other 3 starters. Yellow is a bit harder than Red or Blue, though.

I would recommend against the Let's Go games. I think they were more intended to give today's younger gamers an accessible way to play Kanto that is more mechanically similar to Pokemon Go. The main thing being that you level up with candy and not exp. It's also probably going to be more expensive than a copy of FireRed or LeafGreen.

Tldr:
FireRed and LeafGreen would be my recommendations
RBY are good if you're a retro fan or a purist or just want to see where the series got its start.
Let's Go I would recommend the least unless you're a really big fan of Pokemon Go.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides