I can never bring myself to be evil/cruel in video games

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 3:17 pm

King0fSpades wrote:
I know it has always bothered me that Resident Evil 4 and 5 gave you the option to kill animals that were of no harm to the main characters.

Neverwinter Nights (and probably other RPGs) often allowed for that. Why wouldn't you be able to kill a wandering stray dog or a cow or a street urchin or whatever? The real issue is that no one reacts to it if they witness it. If you're openly a monster you should be stuck dealing with the stigma attached to it.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 3:22 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:
I know it has always bothered me that Resident Evil 4 and 5 gave you the option to kill animals that were of no harm to the main characters.

Neverwinter Nights (and probably other RPGs) often allowed for that. Why wouldn't you be able to kill a wandering stray dog or a cow or a street urchin or whatever? The real issue is that no one reacts to it if they witness it. If you're openly a monster you should be stuck dealing with the stigma attached to it.

Yeah I agree. But in Resident Evil 4 and 5 you are trapped in villages being attacked by zombie-like villagers so there really is nobody around to comment on Leon or Chris being cruel to animals.

I think in games like Elder Scrolls and Fallout where there is a legal system or karmic system the NPCs will react with hostility at least.

♤ The Military

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 3:25 pm

King0fSpades wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:

Yeah I agree. But in Resident Evil 4 and 5 you are trapped in villages being attacked by zombie-like villagers so there really is nobody around to comment on Leon or Chris being cruel to animals.

Then there's really nothing but one's own inhibitions stopping them.

Although, I feel like in a survival type game if there's animals and you can kill them you should probably also be able to eat them. Why have a mechanic but not make it serve the gameplay in a meaningful way?

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 3:36 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:

Then there's really nothing but one's own inhibitions stopping them.

Although, I feel like in a survival type game if there's animals and you can kill them you should probably also be able to eat them. Why have a mechanic but not make it serve the gameplay in a meaningful way?

I agree, at least in RE4 you could collect eggs from snakes you killed plus the fish you killed could be collected which when eaten would then would restore health. I have no issue with having to kill animals for food or if they are dangerous animals that can kill the main character.

♤ The Military

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 8:45 pm

I have to admit, I usually actually play pretty grey when given the option, I like being mostly good but paying evil unto evil when I can get away with it. I think my all time favorite for this was Fallout: New Vegas, it let me do things like blackmail a serial killer into leaving town, force him to give me money to keep my mouth shut, then murder him and toss his body down an elevator shaft anyway, which was awesome. I could also do things like work for Caesar just enough to get him to trust me to perform his top secret brain surgery, then "accidentally" botch it and talk his people into believing it was an accident, and other such amusing betrayals. Damn, I wish Bethesda would give Obsidian another crack at that series, they nailed the tone so much better than Bethesda themselves did.

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 9:13 pm

Dox47 wrote:

I have to admit, I usually actually play pretty grey when given the option, I like being mostly good but paying evil unto evil when I can get away with it. I think my all time favorite for this was Fallout: New Vegas, it let me do things like blackmail a serial killer into leaving town, force him to give me money to keep my mouth shut, then murder him and toss his body down an elevator shaft anyway, which was awesome. I could also do things like work for Caesar just enough to get him to trust me to perform his top secret brain surgery, then "accidentally" botch it and talk his people into believing it was an accident, and other such amusing betrayals. Damn, I wish Bethesda would give Obsidian another crack at that series, they nailed the tone so much better than Bethesda themselves did.

I honestly don't mind grey shaded characters, some of my all time favorite characters are rather gray shaded in morality like Ada Wong in the Resident Evil games. Plus she is a femme fatale and I'm a sucker for the femme fatale archetype regardless if she leans more towards good or evil.

I do try to create myself a femme fatale type character in The Elder Scrolls and Fallout games. For games like Oblivion and Skyrim I often find myself preferring to play as a mysterious dark witch and for Fallout 3 I like making a female mercenary who wears sexy pre-war dresses and glamour curls and she has her own sense of justice.

And of course I always give her the Black Widow perk, she uses her feminine wiles as a force of good (most of the time) like when she convinced Mister Burke not to blow up the town of Megaton. :smurfin:

♤ The Military

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 3:58 am

King0fSpades wrote:
I do try to create myself a femme fatale type character in The Elder Scrolls and Fallout games. For games like Oblivion and Skyrim I often find myself preferring to play as a mysterious dark witch and for Fallout 3 I like making a female mercenary who wears sexy pre-war dresses and glamour curls and she has her own sense of justice.

And of course I always give her the Black Widow perk, she uses her feminine wiles as a force of good (most of the time) like when she convinced Mister Burke not to blow up the town of Megaton. :smurfin:

But do you follow the slaver story line all the way through, tricking children into leaving the sanctuary of their little society so that you can sell them to evil slavers for caps? I usually follow that quest line just enough to get the mesmertron weapon, for enslaving random raiders who piss me off for some reasons or another.

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 7:38 am

Dox47 wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:

But do you follow the slaver story line all the way through, tricking children into leaving the sanctuary of their little society so that you can sell them to evil slavers for caps? I usually follow that quest line just enough to get the mesmertron weapon, for enslaving random raiders who piss me off for some reasons or another.

Honestly I never really did the slaver's story much. I'd just do something silly to earn enough 'evil' karma points (like hacking that as*hole Moriarty's computer over and over) and get in long enough to buy Clover as a bodyguard, then after I purchased her I would turn on the rest of slavers.

Clover is my preferred companion in the game next to Charon because they both remain loyal to your hero no matter what his or her karma level is.

Plus the idea of roleplaying a crafty protagonist who enters the slave master's realm and purchases brainwashed slave soldiers only to use them to turn against their own masters and lead a slave revolt reminds me of this awesome scene from Game of Thrones when Daenerys used the Unsullied in a similar manner. 8)

I'm not really a fan of the show but it did have some cool moments which I draw inspiration from. :)

♤ The Military

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

15 Sep 2021, 9:33 am

I’m the exact opposite. For example, in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, I killed every last NPC in Shanghai just because.

I’m Renegade in all the Mass Effect games.

Redpaws
Toucan
Toucan

16 Sep 2021, 5:17 am

I have no qualms about committing evil acts in video games. They're just video games.
It can be pretty entertaining to be as bad as you can in a game, be it by killing everyone/innocents and other violent content, or just giving the nastiest/ most insulting replies in in-game multiple choice conversations or making evil/selfish choices in choose your own adventure style games. It can be pretty fun and entertaining!

If it's not your thing, that's okay, but there's nothing bad about doing it either. It's just a game, no real person or animal is hurt/killed by it.

No terror, no war. No sympathy for terrorists or their supporters and sympathizers

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 7:41 am

Hmm... maybe I should give pretending to be evil in video games a shot? What the Hell? :twisted:

♤ The Military

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

16 Sep 2021, 8:09 pm

Redpaws wrote:
I have no qualms about committing evil acts in video games. They're just video games.
It can be pretty entertaining to be as bad as you can in a game, be it by killing everyone/innocents and other violent content, or just giving the nastiest/ most insulting replies in in-game multiple choice conversations or making evil/selfish choices in choose your own adventure style games. It can be pretty fun and entertaining!

If it's not your thing, that's okay, but there's nothing bad about doing it either. It's just a game, no real person or animal is hurt/killed by it.

Exactly! This.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 11:22 am

I’d say the majority of the games I play aren’t super violent. I will occasionally play Twisted Metal, Mortal Kombat, Heroes of Might and Magic (I play as the Inferno faction) and DOOM but for the most part I play Animal Crossing, Pokémon, Cooking Mama, Kirby, Sonic the Hedgehog, Mega Man, Nintendogs and various iPad games such as Candy Crush, Talking Tom, Clawberta and the Tamagotchi game.

I know violent games are just games but everyone has different tastes and reasons. The Hatsune Miku games are so much fun.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre