Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

angelofdarkness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Nov 2021, 8:38 pm

anyone else into trying to play this? I had a online group myself and a few friends started but it fell apart cause of another guy taking control of my campign and bossing the players around and just being rude over my choices as a new dm. I kicked him and his gf that started all the drama from our discord server and my friends and i are starting a new campign where it shouldn't be all that drama

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2021, 8:53 pm

I personally am not into playing it, I think it's cool just seems like kind of a big obligation from my understanding games can take days to complete. I like the novels that take place in the DnD world though, at least the ones I have read. My brother was playing for a time with some people, but not sure if he still is.

My boyfriend was into Warhammer(mostly painting the minatures) when I met him and so I've become interested as well, and am in the process of painting some. But there are a couple sorta small-scale table top games for Warhammer which we are interested in trying. Sorta like little skirmish battles that may take like a half hour to an hour, but not a whole day or longer like some of their bigger games. Of course DnD and Warhammer are pretty different but both involve miniatures and table top games, and going to nerd stores.

angelofdarkness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Nov 2021, 8:56 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I personally am not into playing it, I think it's cool just seems like kind of a big obligation from my understanding games can take days to complete. I like the novels that take place in the DnD world though, at least the ones I have read. My brother was playing for a time with some people, but not sure if he still is.

My boyfriend was into Warhammer(mostly painting the minatures) when I met him and so I've become interested as well, and am in the process of painting some. But there are a couple sorta small-scale table top games for Warhammer which we are interested in trying. Sorta like little skirmish battles that may take like a half hour to an hour, but not a whole day or longer like some of their bigger games. Of course DnD and Warhammer are pretty different but both involve miniatures and table top games, and going to nerd stores.

never played war hammer but it seems just as involved as dnd

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2021, 8:59 pm

Gary Gygax wrote:
HANDLING TROUBLESOME PLAYERS

Some players will find more enjoyment in spoiling a game than in playing it, and this ruins the fun for the rest of the participants, so it must be prevented.  Those who enjoy being loud and argumentative, those who pout or act in a childish manner when things go against them, those who use the books as a defense when you rule them out of line should be excluded from the campaign.  Simply put, ask them to leave, or do not invite them to participate again.

Peer pressure is another means which can be used to control players who are not totally obnoxious and who you deem worth saving.  These types typically attempt to give orders and instructions even when their characters are not present, tell other characters what to do even though the character role they have has nothing to do with that of the one being instructed, or continually attempt actions or activities their characters would have no knowledge of.  When any such proposals or suggestions or orders are made, simply inform the group that that is no longer possible under any circumstances because of the player in question.  The group will then act to silence him or her and control undesirable outbursts.  The other players will most certainly let such individuals know about undesirable activity when it begins to affect their characters and their enjoyment of the game.

Strong steps short of expulsion can be an extra random monster die, obviously rolled, the attack of an ethereal mummy (which always strikes by surprise, naturally), points of damage from "blue bolts from the heavens" striking the offender's head, or the permanent loss of a point of charisma (appropriately) from the character belonging to the offender.  If these have to be enacted regularly, then they are not effective and stronger measures must be taken.  Again, the ultimate answer to such a problem is simply to exclude the disruptive person from further gatherings.
The above quote is an excerpt from the AD&D Dungeon Masters Guide (1e, p110, c1979).  I still have my original copy, as well as all the sourcebooks of that edition.

When do we begin?

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 9:29 pm

angelofdarkness wrote:
I had a online group myself and a few friends started but it fell apart cause of another guy taking control of my campign and bossing the players around and just being rude over my choices as a new dm.

Sounds like D&D to me.