How many hours of video games is unhealthy?

Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

27 Jan 2020, 4:25 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:
I can understand why those who enjoy playing violent video games would take solace in the above view, sold to them by the relevant greed lobby, but I don't see how any honest person can take it seriously. There are plenty of documented cases of violent criminals acknowledging that video games and films played a role in their actions, and the skyrocketing of violent crime that followed the relaxing of the restrictions on violence in media in the from the 60s onwards is also telling. I don't see why other people can't see it. Media and culture influence people, and this has been recognised since the beginning of civilisation. Those who are in denial about this are incredibly gadarene, which would be fine if they were only harming themselves, but they're harming others, too.

People also like to make excuses for their behavior...have they factored in how many of these violent criminals may be blaming that to try and look more like a victim? I like to play skyrim and it can be pretty violent like most of the missions are 'kill so and so person, kill so many of this animal...lots of killing quests, but its a game you don't go out and do that in real life.

I even played grand theft auto, I had the most fun grabbing as much weapons as I could and infiltrating in game police stations to see how long I could survive before getting taken down...never did actually play the quests or anything because over-all they seemed boring and hard to find. I just caused as much destruction as I could never once did I think about doing it in real life...but it was fun in the game, but its a game not real life. So I kind of feel a person could say oh so and so game made me do this, without that actually being the case.

Amen. When someone goes out and commits a violent crime, that person is to blame, not video games or music or movies.
I think I should post this here :arrow:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2020, 10:53 am

nick007 wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:
I can understand why those who enjoy playing violent video games would take solace in the above view, sold to them by the relevant greed lobby, but I don't see how any honest person can take it seriously. There are plenty of documented cases of violent criminals acknowledging that video games and films played a role in their actions, and the skyrocketing of violent crime that followed the relaxing of the restrictions on violence in media in the from the 60s onwards is also telling. I don't see why other people can't see it. Media and culture influence people, and this has been recognised since the beginning of civilisation. Those who are in denial about this are incredibly gadarene, which would be fine if they were only harming themselves, but they're harming others, too.

People also like to make excuses for their behavior...have they factored in how many of these violent criminals may be blaming that to try and look more like a victim? I like to play skyrim and it can be pretty violent like most of the missions are 'kill so and so person, kill so many of this animal...lots of killing quests, but its a game you don't go out and do that in real life.

I even played grand theft auto, I had the most fun grabbing as much weapons as I could and infiltrating in game police stations to see how long I could survive before getting taken down...never did actually play the quests or anything because over-all they seemed boring and hard to find. I just caused as much destruction as I could never once did I think about doing it in real life...but it was fun in the game, but its a game not real life. So I kind of feel a person could say oh so and so game made me do this, without that actually being the case.

Amen. When someone goes out and commits a violent crime, that person is to blame, not video games or music or movies.

I love that show.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

28 Jan 2020, 7:42 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
nick007 wrote:

I love that show.
I take what he said with a grain of salt. It may be true in general but I don't think things are always that extreme or black & white as he makes it out to be.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

AlexJNorton
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Feb 2020, 9:56 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:
In my opinion - generally zero. Tetris, solitaire, chess, early Pokémon, Mario Kart - fine. But there's not one game being widely played today that doesn't glorify violence, promiscuity, drugs, political extremism and intellectual vacuity. It would be immoral for anybody to play such games, IMO. Games like Grand Theft Auto should be banned by law, being responsible for countless acts of violence and a degradation in moral standards.

Video game violence is not responsible for real world violence. Countless studies have proven this.

ercising, coloring, writing and plenty of other things. I play for about two hours a day but I break up those two hours so they are not two hours straight. Is this unhealthy?

I prefer to do multiplayer with other people in the room so it's more social. For the most part, the majority of games I play aren't very popular and I only play what I know I'm good at and am familiar with.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2020, 12:02 pm

AlexJNorton wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:
In my opinion - generally zero. Tetris, solitaire, chess, early Pokémon, Mario Kart - fine. But there's not one game being widely played today that doesn't glorify violence, promiscuity, drugs, political extremism and intellectual vacuity. It would be immoral for anybody to play such games, IMO. Games like Grand Theft Auto should be banned by law, being responsible for countless acts of violence and a degradation in moral standards.

Video game violence is not responsible for real world violence. Countless studies have proven this.

ercising, coloring, writing and plenty of other things. I play for about two hours a day but I break up those two hours so they are not two hours straight. Is this unhealthy?

I prefer to do multiplayer with other people in the room so it's more social. For the most part, the majority of games I play aren't very popular and I only play what I know I'm good at and am familiar with.

Two hours a day with breaks is fine. A 30 minute break between sessions is recommended. I do so to prevent burnout.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2020, 4:28 pm

nick007 wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:
nick007 wrote:

I love that show.
I take what he said with a grain of salt. It may be true in general but I don't think things are always that extreme or black & white as he makes it out to be.

Well he is doing it for a show...so he's gotta be entertaining, also some of the stuff he gets into talking about is rather complex and I think he tries to simplify for the audience. But I think he tends to be pretty on point factually.

peterclark
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Feb 2020, 6:20 am

The amount of time spent gaming may not matter as much as whether video games are interfering in life. It’s not simply a matter of hours spent playing video games. Dr. Peter Gray (2012), a research professor at Boston College, explains that many people spend a lot of time pursuing hobbies and passions, but they’re not addicted to those passions. It’s the same for gaming. Someone can love video games, get much joy from them, play them for many hours every day, and not have a gaming disorder or video game addiction.

greyasp
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Jul 2020, 1:36 pm

I once completed Red Faction on ps2 in about 13 hours in a single hit.
I don't think it was healthy. And I doubt I could do it today..

Lately I've been hard to reach, I've been too long on my own, everybody has a private world, where they can be alone.

eyelessshiver
Toucan
Toucan

07 Aug 2020, 2:20 pm

There's really no simple answer to this question. "Healthy" is a very relative term. Think of it this way. Video games are basically neutral. They can be bad if they're distracting from other healthy things. A good example is the sedentary gamer who is addicted to games and never exercises. This was me during adolescence. They can be good if they're having a positive effect. A good example is a professional game reviewer who makes money and happiness from games, or a game enthusiast who plays games as a hobby as supplement to an otherwise balanced lifestyle.

If you're doing the other things required for maintaining your health, there is really no limit to how many hours of games you can play, and still be a very physically and psychologically healthy person. Think about people who play and review video games as their jobs. Who are we to judge if they're healthy or not? And I know for a fact these people basically play games all day -- just like others would go to a 9-5 job. Provided you are taking necessary breaks to rest your eyes, hands, etc., you won't find any physical problems resulting from video games, especially not any more so than your average desk computer job staring at the monitor all day.

Games can be vastly different in their design, and people play them for different reasons. So it's extremely hard to generalize. It depends upon the person, the circumstances, etc. There is literally no single right answer here, except to say that you should be doing other healthy activities as well, and not neglecting things due to over-focusing on games -- that's the most important part.

In high school, my friend and I would sometimes rent or buy a game, and then sit and play the game all the way through in co-op. It was a lot of fun. Only one time did I feel it was unhealthy when he kept waking me up when I was starting to doze off. This was because we got started too late and it required staying up all night. If we started early in the day, we could do it and not tax ourselves. Some games we did this with were Halo 1 and 2, Baldur's Gate for PS2, Timesplitters, Gauntlet Legends...some others (of course the shorter games were a breeze).

During that time I was healthy overall, doing well in school, etc. This was like a fun weekend activity we did to relax, very harmless. Even during the week we would play for a few hours straight sometimes, but I always made sure I had done my homework and went to bed by like 11. So you do need to have limits.

eyelessshiver
Toucan
Toucan

07 Aug 2020, 2:56 pm

The connection between real world violent crimes and violent video games is an interesting one. It's a fact that sociopathic individuals are drawn to otherwise harmless things (such as violent video games) in order to live out dark fantasies, but this also applies to violent movies, books, TV shows, etc. Basically, you can see that violence is attracted to more violence, on a basic level. I don't see this as a black and white issue at all, though. For the vast majority of individuals, this kind of media is essentially harmless. It can be a slippery slope, since this is like saying "guns are fine because most people wouldn't use them to kill someone".

I'm a fan of games. Yet I believe they should be kept from people who they would do harm to (and thus would result in them doing harm to themselves or others); but how can we do that, without getting rid of them altogether? I think in the big picture, the games these violent people may indulge in, are not highest on the list of what is pushing them over the edge. It can be hard to predict how someone will behave, and these violent outbursts do happen. And then we find out after the fact that the individual loved violent video games as well. So it doesn't look good, anyone can see that. It would appear that these violent games are indeed having some bad impact in society as result of these killers finding joy in them.

Yet what else correlates with violent criminals? Like I said, games aren't on the top of the list of correlations and possible causations. And I guarantee that next in line would be music, movies, tv shows, books. You're thus looking at a very much freedom, creativity, individuality, responsibility, entertainment, and culturally-compromised society. It could even be a very dystopian 1984 or Farenheit 451 kind of vision. Where do you draw the line? Cut out violent video games today...and tomorrow it's all games, then the same thing with movies, etc. Surely you can see how this could be taken to extremes and would be very bad.

A good middle ground is conscientious society where people take care of one another...and promote health, happiness, etc. So those ticking time bombs don't happen. They're treated before they go off. And they will go off, games or not. Also I feel taking the guns out of their hands is a way to start. That's controversial as well, but...they aren't killing people with video games, the games are just their sick entertainment while they plan things out or try to stay bottled up...if you look at the methods they're using, I think controlling the methods is a smart idea. As for what pushes them over the edge, it's really hard to know exactly what's doing that.

mitalivasandani
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Aug 2020, 12:43 pm

Ummm. It depends on the player :-) and the interest of the player of course!!
Well, let me explain!
If you're a game player, who is playing PC shooting games then you must be an expert to complete the game levels. If you are already achieved many levels, then well, you've overdosed :P

I've seen my neighbors who are playing PC games all day and when I asked them how they are winning then they suggested that there are cheats, hack codes websites where you can get cheats, hack codes. Using which you can surpass the difficulty level and it is just like to cheat a game by entering the available codes.

Duh! Is that really work?
I found there are many websites like IWantCheats which offers you cheats, codes on subscription, how you know that you have finished using working codes? You should check website reviews and also ask friends.

Arronax
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Aug 2020, 2:56 pm

I think context is much more important than the number of hours. For one, everything else that is going on in your life outside of gaming. Do you have a social life? Do you have a steady income? Are you looking for a healthy diet and do you do sports? If those things are sufficently met, I don't think any amount of hour that are put into gaming are too much. Now obviously, theres no way you would be able to play 16 hours a day and still have those needs met at the same time. Unless you're a really efficient sleeper.
It also depends what you're playing. Being social while gaming is always a good thing, unless it complete replaces any real life interaction, the nearer it comes to real life experience, the better though I think. Like skyping while playing with friends is better than just here and there texting.
The worst kind of gaming is the sort of games that treat you like a rat in a cage. You keep chasing after every dopamine hit and it just sucks the life out of you. Unfortunately often those are the ones that are easy to fall for.

charkie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Sep 2020, 11:23 am

Any fewer than eight hours of video games a day is plainly unhealthy, tbh

Lukario
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 8:52 am

Maybe just even 1 hour can have a bad impact on mental health, still if you enjoy playing games the answer could be very different :)