Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Sonic200
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Mar 2023, 3:05 pm

I tend to associate "video game" with games played on a console. I think of console games as "video games" and PC games as "computer games".

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2023, 4:13 pm

I think over here it was computer games,as no-one had consoles . Then it was console games.
Video games was the American term.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2023, 4:44 pm

Consoles are a type of computer.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

fiber bundle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Mar 2023, 12:07 am

yes

fiber bundle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Mar 2023, 12:14 am

Video games are actually a type of computer game, making a distinction with text games.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 8:16 pm

fiber bundle wrote:
Video games are actually a type of computer game, making a distinction with text games.

Strictly speaking yes, video games are more or less just games that use a screen as a sort of replacement for a physical board. Although, I don't know anybody that still sticks to that definition.

Computer games would be the ones that use a processor to do something beyond just display and randomization tasks. Which makes both consoles and computer computer games and probably also video games.

PeterHoping44
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2023, 2:26 am

They are. :P

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2023, 8:58 pm

My take is people are sloppy with words. So in the 1970s when we had ATARI console games, like pong, they were called video games. We had large quarter driven consoles, like PACMAN, and they were called video games, and in the late seventies we had personal computers like the TRS and Apple //, and they were called computer games, though I guarantee that people called them video games too. Regardless, they are all computer driven games. Of course it may vary from country to country, and most importantly, I may be completely wrong. I'm just recalling what was what at the time. In the '70s, I did not have an ATARI, although my brother in law did.

I appreciate the question. There are times I get fixated with the idea that what we see on YouTube are not "videos" because I come from a background where videos were associated with tape and YouTube has digitally recorded images stored on a huge array of hard drives. However, words evolve and I've accepted that YouTube has "videos," even if I personally refer to them as recordings. :D

This is what Wikipedia has to say about Video. It goes one step further, stating that originally video was reserved for live television transmissions.

I still type e-mail, not "email" because there was mail, and then we had electronic mail, or e-mail. Someone got really fed up with me once when I tried to explain why I thought e-mail was more correct. I really don't care anymore, even if I still type "e-mail."

(I know, this is all rambling...)