Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 7:50 pm

I haven't seen any posts (or searched well enough) about visual novels, so might as well create one.

If you don't know what a visual novel is, here is a nice article that explains what they are.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/VisualNovel

If you have played them, what are some of your favorites?

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?

Lecia_Wynter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Mar 2023, 10:35 am

When I was a kid I did one of those Story book games where your choices effect the outcome. It wasn't visual, but visual novels are pretty much the same. Strangely as an adult I don't feel much motivation to play Visual Novel games anymore even though I have purchased one on sale one time.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2023, 9:36 am

Do Renpy games count?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2023, 11:18 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Do Renpy games count?

Oh yeah of course.

Isn't that just a program to make visual novels?

~~~~

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2023, 6:56 pm

As soon as I can spare some cash and an urge to play them, I might try giving the Ace Attorney series of games a try.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2023, 10:12 pm

honeytoast wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Do Renpy games count?

Oh yeah of course.

Isn't that just a program to make visual novels?

Apparently. :oops:

There's survival horror, adventure and RPG games built using it too.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

OddPrincessPalace
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Apr 2023, 1:58 pm

My favorite are Dandelion Wishes Brought To You, Nameless the one thing you must recall, and amnesia memories. Love the ones with female protagonist and a bunch of magical boys with varying personalities. There’s a lady I watch who plays all sorts of visual novels Girl Got Game love her channel she plays mainly visual novels with cute boys female lead ya know

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2023, 7:24 pm

OddPrincessPalace wrote:
My favorite are Dandelion Wishes Brought To You, Nameless the one thing you must recall, and amnesia memories. Love the ones with female protagonist and a bunch of magical boys with varying personalities. There’s a lady I watch who plays all sorts of visual novels Girl Got Game love her channel she plays mainly visual novels with cute boys female lead ya know

I LOVEEEEE DANDELION WISHES!! !! !! !! !! !! ! You might like Magical Diary: Horse Hall. There's a character creation option, which I really like, and the diffrent guys are so cute. It's just a comfy VN.

I'll have to check out that youtuber!

~~~~

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2023, 7:29 pm

Clannad!! !! !

I also have Ef: A Tale of Two, but have yet to play it. I watched both seasons of the anime.

Also Steins;gate. I have yet to play Steins;gate 0, but the first was great. (The anime adaption of the first I watched after playing the VN. The aime is a pretty faithful adaption.)

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2023, 7:35 pm

colliegrace wrote:
Clannad!! ! ! !

I also have Ef: A Tale of Two, but have yet to play it. I watched both seasons of the anime.

Also Steins;gate. I have yet to play Steins;gate 0, but the first was great

I have Clannad but I have yet to touch it. I know it'll be a journey to get through it. One day I'll make the time and get through it. Steins;gate is also on my wishlist. I really want to play The House in Fata Morgana too.

~~~~

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2023, 7:37 pm

honeytoast wrote:

I have Clannad but I have yet to touch it. I know it'll be a journey to get through it. One day I'll make the time and get through it. Steins;gate is also on my wishlist. I really want to play The House in Fata Morgana too.

Clannad is beautiful, my top favorite VN fr fr :heart: You'll cry for sure, but you'll laugh a lot too.

Clannad Tomoyo After isn't as good imo, and the ending is utter bull. s**t. But if you really like that pairing it may be worth playing.

There are also extra side story DLC for Clannad that involves extra stories from each of the routes.

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2023, 8:13 pm

colliegrace wrote:
honeytoast wrote:

Clannad is beautiful, my top favorite VN fr fr :heart: You'll cry for sure, but you'll laugh a lot too.

Clannad Tomoyo After isn't as good imo, and the ending is utter bull. s**t. But if you really like that pairing it may be worth playing.

There are also extra side story DLC for Clannad that involves extra stories from each of the routes.

I'll have to look into it. :D Have you ever played Katawa Shoujo?

~~~~

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2023, 8:27 pm

honeytoast wrote:
colliegrace wrote:
honeytoast wrote:

I'll have to look into it. :D Have you ever played Katawa Shoujo?

I haven't. I have a few VNs I want to play. A Sky Full of Stars (I think?) is on my wishlist

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2023, 9:32 pm

Scarlet Hollow.

I've played quite a few but Scarlet Hollow is #1 without question.

Niacin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Mar 2024, 7:40 am

My absolute favorite VN is Umineko. Likely the greateat story I will ever read.
My second favorite is Chaos;Child, which I did not expect to go so hard, above and beyond its previous iteration which I also loved, Chaos;Head.
These are genuinely amazing VNs and I cannot recommend them enough. Both are available on Steam.

In the future, I will be playing the English-language version of the Tsukihime remake coming out this year on PS4 and Switch, and SubaHibi, a critically acclaimed denpa VN. I may also replay Chaos;Head in the form of Chaos;Head Noah.

My list of VNs I'd like to one day play is pretty large and I don't know if I'll ever get to all of them: Kamidori Alchemy Master, Sakura no Uta, Grisaia, Muv Luv, Utawarerumono, Phantom, Rewrite, Tsui no Sora remake, Lamento Beyond the Void and Dies Irae, Kara no Shoujo, Higurashi, White Album 2, Sakura Moyu, Slow Damage, Amakano 2 and Muramasa.

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2024, 2:03 pm

Niacin wrote:
My absolute favorite VN is Umineko. Likely the greateat story I will ever read.
My second favorite is Chaos;Child, which I did not expect to go so hard, above and beyond its previous iteration which I also loved, Chaos;Head.
These are genuinely amazing VNs and I cannot recommend them enough. Both are available on Steam.

In the future, I will be playing the English-language version of the Tsukihime remake coming out this year on PS4 and Switch, and SubaHibi, a critically acclaimed denpa VN. I may also replay Chaos;Head in the form of Chaos;Head Noah.

My list of VNs I'd like to one day play is pretty large and I don't know if I'll ever get to all of them: Kamidori Alchemy Master, Sakura no Uta, Grisaia, Muv Luv, Utawarerumono, Phantom, Rewrite, Tsui no Sora remake, Lamento Beyond the Void and Dies Irae, Kara no Shoujo, Higurashi, White Album 2, Sakura Moyu, Slow Damage, Amakano 2 and Muramasa.

Uminekooooo:heart::heart::heart: I still need to play the VN. I did watch the anime years ago on youtube in three parts, if you ever had to do that way back when. I had no idea about streaming websites or how to sail the seven seas. I'm sure you know that the anime is pretty subpar and does not go into depth like the visual novel.

Chaos;Child & Chaos;Head are both on my wishlist. I never seem to catch them on sale. I'll be more on the lookout for when they are and report back my thoughts.

I am going to be bias as all heck and insist that you play through Higurashi. The first chapter is free on steam and gives you a taste of what is to come. It is my favorite series of all time - one of the first animes/VNs I was introduced to in middle school. The characters are amazing (Rena is my waifu. She's literally me), the story is amazing. Then the anime (the first series) is okay, the new one that came out, Gou, is ....way better.

Muv Luv will make you sob. That's all I will say.

~~~~