Games you won or progressed in without help/hints/cheats

Page 2 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2009, 4:26 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Jono wrote:
I completed all the puzzles in Myst without using walkthroughs.

I got stuck on the pufferfish maze bit :x

I even tried mapping it out, but either I was doing something wrong, or certain bits of track overlap others.

I ended up looking through the video files on the disc, and one of them was the old man telling you the password to get to the ending :oops:

Are reffering to that large maze in the Selenitic age? I think the trick there was to use the sound. Whenever that ship (shaped like a pufferfish) comes to stop you'll notice it makes sound, sort of like a beep. You should get a different sound whenever you enter a new section of the maze. If it makes the same sound as before you should backtrack and try a different path. I initially solved that a different way by trying to map out the maze and succeeded but that took a long time to do.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 7:26 pm

Every type of game except RPGs.

EarlPurple
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jun 2009, 5:22 am

I like doing codebreaker puzzles without any starters at all. Those are the crossword-type puzzles with numbers for letters.

It annoys me that I can't find such puzzles and they always print starters, eg on thinks.com, but I do have a book Big Word Codebreakers where the starters are in a place at the bottom of the page where you can cut them out (and I do).

Even then I find them rather easy.

I have searched for sites online where people discuss solving these and have never found any, although they are a very popular type of puzzle.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 12:52 pm

I guess most of my games, when I was younger I would cheat every chance I got, now days I rarely cheat, makes me think that I am cheating myself out of getting the full experience. Though I do look up hints such as a bit of stuff on Fallout 3 ;wanted a pair of sunglasses, and wonder how I should deal with the herbit situation (best mutant ever). For example I just beat Prototype without cheats (though I tried but eventua;y beat the final boss), and I have been going through Dead Space without hints even though horors freak me out and last time I only lasted 30 minutes. I guess one reason is that I played BanjoTooie with full cheats and it fealt like I might have been just cheating myself.

EarlPurple
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jun 2009, 12:26 pm

I think I'm the other way, in competitive games I cheat if I can now. Maybe too lazy or maybe I feel I need to in order to compete with everyone else who does.

Got me to give up an obsession of Bejeweled Blitz on facebook though. Once I found a cheat for it and could always achieve a top score I stopped playing completely.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2009, 12:50 pm

EarlPurple wrote:
Got me to give up an obsession of Bejeweled Blitz on facebook though. Once I found a cheat for it and could always achieve a top score I stopped playing completely.

I'm the opposite...I stopped playing online games because people who cheat just ruin it for everyone else.

Now I only play in private servers with my friends.

NarfMann
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Jun 2009, 5:54 am

Every game I've ever beaten I've beaten without cheats or help. It's not until the second time through that I look up guides for things I've missed, and the third time through I use every god-mode type cheat I can find.

MegaAndy
Toucan
Toucan

25 Jun 2009, 12:07 pm

erm most games ive finished 8O

Gifted-Monster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jun 2009, 12:34 pm

Morrowind
Command and Conquer
Dawn of War, WA, DC, SS
Homeworld
Homeworld 2
Dawn of War II
Oblivion (Main-stream. Needed help with Shivering Isles)

CobaltBlew
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jun 2009, 10:10 am

Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons of Liberties, Snake Eater and Guns of the Patriots. Also Grand Theft Auto 4, Max Payne 1+2 , Call of Duty 4, Deer Hunter 2005, Hitman Silent Assassin, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, Doom, Duke Nukem, Silent Hill 4: The Room and Manhunt. That's all I can remember at the top of my head.

Volkmire
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jul 2009, 3:34 pm

Quake, Serious Sam, Super Mario 3, Castlevania, Call of Duty, Doom and Double Dragon. I am sure there is more. I should try 1943 sometime. I remember that game being wicked hard when I was a little child.

Jaejoongfangirl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2009, 5:34 pm

Most games I've played. I usually don't rely on guidebooks/walkthroughs, but I'd be lying if I said that I never did.

Cheats, on the other hand, I never use during my first play through of a game. I did when I was younger (like 6 or 7), but the satisfaction just isn't there.

Although I won't use cheats that make a game easier(defeats the purpose of the game, really), but in multiplayer games or games like Tony Hawk or SSX tricky, I do sometimes enjoy the amusing cheats that make the people have big heads or rainbow blood.

Monsoon77
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Jul 2009, 10:26 pm

Every game but LoZ: OoT because of the damn Water Temple and Fallout 3 and Oblivion because there is just so much to do i wanted to make sure i did everything.

Sovryn
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Jul 2009, 1:14 am

Monkey Island III, Grim Fandango, GTA IV, Bioshock, Starcraft, Left 4 Dead, Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty IV, Sam and Max Hit The Road, Full Throttle, Leisure Suit Larry 1-6, and of course, Doom (old school version).

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2009, 2:15 pm

Lead_Enema wrote:
Monkey Island III...

The first time I played that game, I accidentally put it on "easy" mode, and I could not figure out the "hair of the dog" puzzle at all @_@

So I figured out my mistake and reset the game and played it for real and had no problems with that puzzle at all.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2009, 7:56 pm

Well, the only one i can't cheat at would be WoW <.< .