Episode 1 out in 6 days! :D

Anyone going to buy?

The former things have passed away."

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 1:07 am

:lmao: "FINISH THE RECIPE!"

Shades of "Day of the Tentacle", kxmode, it's already on my pre-order list ye scurvy knave! A good looking remake of an incredible classic.

But I'm really quite worried: Do you think anyone living in today's gamer world would buy it... and if they did, would they appreciate something like this throwback to the days when games were really games? Or do you think they'll just grunt and go back to their latest FPS?

I worry that there is an erosion; no, a dearth of understanding of the underpinnings of what truly makes games great. Flash and pizzaz replacing style and substance. And while those of Ye Olde Skool carry the torch, I fear that the next generation may not understand what this is that they may be missing; dismissing it, as they may, as a feeble attempt to match today's "eye candy". They've just never known any better.

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 1:13 am

P.S. -- you were inspired by Chair, weren't you? :)

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Jul 2009, 1:16 am

I have no doubts lots of players will buy it! I think adventure games are making a comeback! LucasArts is usually not one to do something unless they feel they can make money. Well they're releasing a remastered version of the first Monkey Island soon!

This video switches between old Monkey Island and new Monkey Island so you can see how close to the original it is.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7XBJtEa2FI[/youtube]

A fun to watch history on M.I. :)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb_FaGcmTPM[/youtube]

The former things have passed away."

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 3:47 am

I'm going to buy ! :wink:

Speaking of Tell Tale games I've finished the first episode of Wallace and Gromit and tried the trial version of Sam & Max, both great and hilarious.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 2:10 pm

Hoping the new game is a lot better than the fourth one was :x

Not looking forward to the remake, don't like the art style. It's already a great game, it doesn't need extra pixels to try to prove itself.

Also, a lot of the humor was in the photo realistic close-up shots, that humor is now totally gone.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 7:56 pm

I'm really looking forward to the remake, but not Tales. I just haven't been impressed by the footage, and I thought that Telltale's "Sam & Max" episodes were a bore.

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2009, 12:33 am

Well, I'm stoked about both. One of my kids snapped my old Monkey Island Madness CD and my copy of CMI (my personal favorite adventure game of all time) is getting glitchy, and EMI... shoot, I only ever remember playing it through once (ook eep chee? Prosthetic intestines? Come on! Then again... "No! My grog!" wasn't a bad line... Not great...). I actually like the worked over SMI screens, and did I understand them correctly, can you in fact play the original version? That makes all the difference. I had actually, I kid you not, been musing recently to my husband how much I wished they would go back and make those old games playable on the newer platforms. He responded with the obvious, that there wouldn't be much percentage in that. And behold!! ! If this is the way they feel they have to do it, so be it. I liked hearing the actors saying the lines aloud, but I can see myself now with the kids saying, "Mom, play the one with the talking!" as I happily read through the old text version.

I am also pleased at the return of the actress who played Elaine in CMI. I love the accent. And putting it on Wii will work well for us. My kids are into the games too. I just hope the game does work well on Wii.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2009, 12:48 pm

irishwhistle wrote:
...EMI... shoot, I only ever remember playing it through once...

Yeah, I was playing through MI4, and there were a bunch of jokes referencing the previous games that I couldn't remember, so I had to replay the first three...by the time I got back to Escape, I realized it wasn't all that great. Hopefully this new one is much better.

irishwhistle wrote:
...can you in fact play the original version?

Actually, I found out yesterday that you can switch back to the original graphics. But the downside is that you can't have the original graphics and the voice acting at the same time :x

Makes no sense to me, but what can you do? I'm sure someone will "fix" this problem using SCUMMVM sooner or later :wink:

Phipe
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jul 2009, 8:56 am

I am waiting for it to come out for Wiiware. Untill then, i read some reviews.

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2009, 9:49 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
irishwhistle wrote:
...EMI... shoot, I only ever remember playing it through once...

Yeah, I was playing through MI4, and there were a bunch of jokes referencing the previous games that I couldn't remember, so I had to replay the first three...by the time I got back to Escape, I realized it wasn't all that great. Hopefully this new one is much better.

irishwhistle wrote:
...can you in fact play the original version?

Actually, I found out yesterday that you can switch back to the original graphics. But the downside is that you can't have the original graphics and the voice acting at the same time :x

Makes no sense to me, but what can you do? I'm sure someone will "fix" this problem using SCUMMVM sooner or later :wink:

I can see why. Some of us want to go back and see the original game we loved. That said, I've been happily playing the new version, since it has the same layout and the same feel with clearer characters. And it's hilarious, hearing the lines and reading them. They have such good actors.

Quote:
I am waiting for it to come out for Wiiware. Untill then, i read some reviews.

But this one isn't coming out on Wii. That's Tales of Monkey Island, the newest installment. This is the update of the first Monkey Island game.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

Phipe
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Jul 2009, 8:36 am

irishwhistle wrote:
]

But this one isn't coming out on Wii. That's Tales of Monkey Island, the newest installment. This is the update of the first Monkey Island game.

Ok. Then i wait untill it is on sale. Untill then, i play Tales of Monkey Island.

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 12:21 pm

Phipe wrote:
irishwhistle wrote:
]

Ok. Then i wait untill it is on sale. Untill then, i play Tales of Monkey Island.

:LOL: Fear not! As it is old, you can download it for $10! You do have to download and install Steam, however, to do so.

And Tales is now out on Wii, chapter 1 anyway. $10 a chapter. Now that's one that needs to go on sale...

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 1:23 pm

$10 is a fair price 8O $10 multiplied by five episodes makes $50, exactly what you'd expect to pay for a Wii game.

Whereas on Steam, each episode costs $35, muliplied by five makes $175...at that price, I expect the thing to come with fake plastic guitars :x

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2009, 1:05 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
$10 is a fair price 8O $10 multiplied by five episodes makes $50, exactly what you'd expect to pay for a Wii game.

Whereas on Steam, each episode costs $35, muliplied by five makes $175...at that price, I expect the thing to come with fake plastic guitars :x

The only thing I'm playing on Steam is the redone Secret of Monkey Island, which is on;y $10 complete (it's old, after all, even refurbished :wink: ). I got Tales for PC for $35 complete, or $30, something like that. If they're selling them by episode on Steam for $35 apiece, then there's been a mistake somewhere. I got mine from Telltale Games.

Daishi
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Aug 2009, 5:10 am

oh goodness, this game, i played it when i was younger and LOVED IT. i was terrible at it though and would keep making new games to go through the parts i could do. i distinctly remember laughing at the sword fighting bit, just how many options there were for insults and how strange they all were. almost as if that game was made for people living back then. i think that's as far as i got... kinda wanna get it again though and see if i'd do any better at it, know if it's available for Mac?