Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 11:51 am

I do. I made a best FF topic and that got a few replies so I thought I'd make an overall RPG topic. WRPG or JRPG? When it comes to WRPG I couldn't get into Fallout 3 or Mass Effect. I like Final Fantasy,Golden Sun,Fire Emblem (I know it's Strategy RPG) The fantasy setting really pulls me in as does the story. I TRY to be a completeness so I try to do alot of the sidequests (not all but most) if the RPG holds my interest. :-) I'm currently playing FFX. :-)

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 12:02 pm

Yes :P

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 12:18 pm

I like RPGs, probably mostly Western rather then Japanese, probably the most important for me is the richness of the world, and the range of characters. I also like to have more freedom over my character whether it being in driver seat (direct control), appearance and choices from becoming kind saint or evil fiend, turnbase can be fun, but I have more fun going off a formula each doing one attack.
I am mostly playing Mass Effect, with a bit of Bioshock due to it's sequels release soon.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 12:24 pm

Another thing with RPG's are there are so many side quests and optional stuff it's not like say a Mario game where it ends there's stuff you can go back to do. IMO it's fun in RPGs while in say a Mario getting all the stars might become boring after awhile. :-)

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 12:42 pm

Yeah you get the sense that you achieved something by going out of the way, only trouble is figuring out what there is and what you have done. Well one though they were not optional was Majora's Mask which felt quite rewarding to have all the different types of masks, it also had a checklist that is pretty necesary for most nowdays. Another one Oblicion, has many sidequests from scaling fish, to stealing national treasures, to saving the world, to pulling off a god's sick joke. And Pokemon always has things like catching different pokemon and getting hold of certain items, oh how I have spent so long over different games just trying to catch different Unown.

AtomicKaiju
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 2:09 pm

I personally prefer JRPGs over WRPGs. No particular reason, I just do. I've played Diablo II and SW:KOTOR (just the two I can recall on the top of my head), and I thought they were both overrated. Although I did find KOTOR to be pretty fun with the large cast of charismatic characters, the karma system, and a deep story, I didn't particularly like the battle system, how linear the exploration became during the later part of the game (therefore being unable to finish some side quests I have started), and the game itself was just not as good or as memorable as everyone makes it out to be.

I'm not much of a completest when it comes to video games at all. I do like doing side quests, but I'll only do all of them if there's an alternate ending that can only be unlocked by doing so, or if I need to get an ultra powerful weapon to beat the last boss. However, if I can beat lets say Sephiroth without the Ultima Weapon or Omnislash, then I'm not going to waste my time getting them.

BTW, there are Mario RPGs with plenty of side quests.

SkittlesMcBingBing
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Feb 2010, 2:31 pm

I like RPG's a little, and wish I enjoyed them a lot more. I'm way behind on my Zelda games (about halfway through Majora's Mask) but I do love it when I sit down to play it. So I guess it's a matter of me deciding to go through the game, even if I have to check Gamefaqs once in a while for my puzzle-numb American brain.

I swear, if Navi were here, she'd have this **** figured out in a second.

I believe I am cousin.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 6:32 pm

I used to like JRPGs over Western RPGs, but in the last few years Western RPGs have made huge innovations, yet Japanese RPGs are still doing the same thing they were doing years ago. My favourite JRPGs this generation are Valkyria Chronicles and Demon's Souls (arguably the most original JRPGs this generation), whereas my favourite Western RPGs this generation are Fallout 3, Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age.

I think the Japanese market is particularly unfriendly to originality, with their most popular franchises being the ultra traditional Dragon Quest series and the Pokemon series, which I swear has not changed since its original incarnation. Their most recent Western-released Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy XII, was the most original in the series and was mostly shunned. The series has gone back to its traditional roots for the next iteration. The director of Square Enix acknowledges the lack of originality in Japanese RPGs compared to Western RPGs but doesn't really seem to know what to about it, as the company seems to continue releasing countless remakes and spinoffs.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 9:01 pm

Ya XII deviated from the norm and was shunned we will see how XIII goes as far as importers go it's VERY linear although after reading a top 10 like and top 10 dislike list FFXIII seems awesome and like any game it has its faults. :-)

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 1:43 am

I was surprised about hearing that FFXIII is incredibly linear, actually aparently there is some people going so far as to say that it is almost like a DVD with intereactive parts, though I assume it must also be quite entertaining. And the site I used to get a lot of news and heard a lot of criticism usually treats JRPGs and other Japanese things being far superior to the West, though I think I also remember them reporting on a lead designer of Bioware comenting that JRPGs are not changing enough, though this was followed by a bunch just saying that Biware sucks.

I hate it when fanboys hate on things for no good reason, or look at the good and bad things of everything and can't take any criticism.

SkittlesMcBingBing
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Feb 2010, 3:28 pm

I think the debate between the better type of RPG, linear or open world, is just folly. It's like comparing apple pie to a brownie sundae--both are equally enjoyable in their own right, and just because a game is linear/freeworld doesn't make it good or bad.

Ground up apple cores or generic shortening make it bad. It's the games that are problematic, not the style. Players are free to prefer one or the other, but that's because they're players with different likes and dislikes, who, for some reason, aren't able to see the appeal others see in the games we can't get into.

Does that make sense?

I believe I am cousin.

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 5:10 pm

Fable
Fable II
Oblivion: The Elder Scrolls
FF 10 and 7
Inuyasha: Secret of the Cursed Mask
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Perfect World Online (MMORPG)
WOW (MMORPG)

just to name a few...

AtomicKaiju
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 8:02 pm

SkittlesMcBingBing wrote:
I think the debate between the better type of RPG, linear or open world, is just folly. It's like comparing apple pie to a brownie sundae--both are equally enjoyable in their own right, and just because a game is linear/freeworld doesn't make it good or bad.

Ground up apple cores or generic shortening make it bad. It's the games that are problematic, not the style. Players are free to prefer one or the other, but that's because they're players with different likes and dislikes, who, for some reason, aren't able to see the appeal others see in the games we can't get into.

Does that make sense?

Yes it does. We all have different tastes in video games. The one thing everyone has in common is that we're all different.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 10:22 pm

I did back in the day during the late 90's to early 2000's but there just isn't a whole lot of good ones left anymore. I kind of got tired of the genre after 5 years or so.

"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people. I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. The best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes."

Fo-Rum
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Feb 2010, 4:54 pm

I played a lot of RPGs in my day. Too much in fact!

FF6 - Played this one too much, got every character to 99 with every spell and worked to unlock everything I could. Played though it many times. I was obsessive with this one, if the previous wasn't obvious to you!

Chrono Trigger - Obsessive with this one too, although I only got 3 characters to 99 (took a lot more work), but I did max all of their stats! New game+ made this fun to play through countless times for me.

Secret of Evermore - This was one of the coolest RPGs for me. I have the fondest memories playing this because I simply love the music and environments the most. The story is fun to play through as well. It lacks dialog, but some might find that an improvement. I wasn't as obsessive with this one though as the previous two games.

FF7 - Obsessive. I didn't play through it several times, but I played it enough to reach obsessive level! I stayed in the underwater ship and morphed baddies into sources so I could max my heroes' stats. Spent a lot of time doing that!

Monster Rancher - Not sure if this is exactly an RPG or not, I guess it is though. I loved this game, reached obsessive level with it as well. Not many of my friends played it like I did though, and for player face-off of monsters it was a bit lacking.

Of course, I've played a lot of other RPGs, including Diablo 1 and 2 (obsessive level), Ultima Online, Anarchy Online, WoW, LoTR online, and several text games but... I just don't feel they are as noteworthy as the games above. I had my greatest RPG experiences in my youngest years of gaming.

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2010, 9:59 pm

No, and I don't really get the appeal of them.