Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SirLogiC
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2010, 1:38 am

Well civ5 has been announced.

http://www.civilization5.com/

As a player of civ3 and civ4 I am looking forward to this. Also a case in point why sequels are better sells than original ideas :/

Anyway it looks awesome. Its moved to using a hex grid rather than cell grid. Looks like there is now swamp tiles. There is the standard graphics upgrade, it looks great!

Looks like "just one more turn" addiction will be back!

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2010, 2:13 am

Civ. Yes, I remember that. I became obsessed with it and my progress is Kaiser Wilhelm, leader of Germany, taking over the whole world! I think this may be one of the reasons one of my friends became less involved with me. I don't think I will ever play it again, or any other video games except the quarter machines occasionally.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2010, 2:55 pm

:D :D :D :D :D

I love Civ4, I guess I'll finally get the expansion packs for that this summer (mostly so I can play the up-to-date version of the Fall From Heaven mod).

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2010, 4:46 pm

I'd rather see a sequel to Alpha Centauri, but I'm sure I'll get Civ 5. :wink:

The year is still young.

Topcat16
Raven
Raven

21 Feb 2010, 8:04 pm

i sort of feel this game is the closest to perfection in its genre as a game when singleplayer, mind u i still strangely prefer civ 3 for some reason

Ravenitrius
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2010, 3:03 am

Isn't Civ3 where Sword vs Tank or Archer vs Tank and the former always win =(. Course I want a Alpha Centauri II too. Course looking forward to the mod support.

Topcat16
Raven
Raven

22 Feb 2010, 2:23 pm

Ravenitrius wrote:
Isn't Civ3 where Sword vs Tank or Archer vs Tank and the former always win =(. Course I want a Alpha Centauri II too. Course looking forward to the mod support.

yep

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2010, 2:47 pm

I like the switch towards a hex based map and the move towards actual proper frontlines rather than having super stacks of your favoured unit of choice to just spam the opposition with.

Will have to see how this works out. If they introduced the new style of map for expanded tactics and combat fantastic. If its just going to be like civ 4 but with a hex grid then might not be too impressive.

Also hope the end game turns won't take forever to processes like they do in Civ 4 at the moment.

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2010, 1:53 pm

Looking at the screenshots, it looks like the hex-grid will make it a lot easier to make defensive lines, which is something I'm excited about. I always wanted to have a game where I had something like the Maginot line.

Laar
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Feb 2010, 7:50 am

Topcat16 wrote:
i sort of feel this game is the closest to perfection in its genre as a game when singleplayer, mind u i still strangely prefer civ 3 for some reason

I also prefer civ 3 above civ 4. Civ 4 is just like many sequels, they put a lot more in it and it just makes it more complex then necessary/nice.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2010, 7:58 pm

pat2rome wrote:
Looking at the screenshots, it looks like the hex-grid will make it a lot easier to make defensive lines, which is something I'm excited about. I always wanted to have a game where I had something like the Maginot line.

Me too. :lol:
Beware! I gonna conquer the world with my defensive line!

NinjaSquid
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Mar 2010, 5:27 am

Alpha Centaury II well i really doubt that you could make Alpha Centaury anyhow anybetter...

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 7:37 am

NinjaSquid wrote:
Alpha Centaury II well i really doubt that you could make Alpha Centaury anyhow anybetter...

I could have a damn good try! :) I'd start with a move from tile-based to a 3d globe display (a la UFO, only with the capabilities of a modern machine), able to be zoomed in to any spot on the surface (a la FFE, likewise modernised so it wouldn't be all jerky and 'orrible); then throw in more visible effects of terraforming, civilian and commercial interests as a more real presence, factions within factions, improved diplomacy and strategic AI, faction government choices and technology having more visible effects on your cities and units, Planet as more of an active presence, more ecology, more terrain types and features, improved sea features, more landmarks, dynamic landmarks, independent settlements and stations... *pauses for breath*

But hey, that's only what I'd want. :D

The year is still young.

Cultus_Diabolus
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2010, 6:08 am

bin playing since civ 2, although im a little worried about the combat system, one unit per space(now hexagons), arches can shoot over spaces, i feer it will become to unrealistic, any one who plays civ noes one space = alot of land, and i don't think army's are spread out over hundreds of miles, it may be going the hearts of iron route and making it super detailed with little hexagons all over the map, but i think that will take a lot of the fun out of it.

Cultus_Diabolus
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2010, 6:16 am

Ravenitrius wrote:

the vast majority of the time, but there a small chance the archer would win, ive seen it happen, if i had a penny for ever hour spent playing civ, id be rich :P

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2010, 2:24 pm

Cultus_Diabolus wrote:
bin playing since civ 2, although im a little worried about the combat system, one unit per space(now hexagons), arches can shoot over spaces, i feer it will become to unrealistic, any one who plays civ noes one space = alot of land, and i don't think army's are spread out over hundreds of miles, it may be going the hearts of iron route and making it super detailed with little hexagons all over the map, but i think that will take a lot of the fun out of it.

I think the "one unit per hex" is a limit of one of each class of unit (two archers can't share a hex, but an archer and a warrior can). I also remember that Civ IV would distinguish between lakes and oceans, so I'm hoping that archers could only shoot over a water tile if it was a lake to prevent the "archer shooting over the British Channel" situation that some fear is going to happen.

I'm really looking forward to that, though; it ties into my excitement about the hex-grid. I can't wait to have a defensive line that's basically impenetrable backed up by ranged units pounding away at the attackers.