Desire to play games only intermittently?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 10:35 pm

Does anyone else ever have a desire to play video games that sometimes is there and sometimes isn't for weeks on end? I suppose it is more so when I particularly am trying to win a game that I feel addicted to playing, but after I've completed the campaign of a game then it is no longer as interesting. Like with the game Killzone, it was interesting to have a game that is actually a challenge to win, but after having won it I know all the locations of the enemy and where they'll go and what weapons they'll have, and so it is no longer suspenseful. It seems like, right now, video games are boring to me, but in a few weeks time I'll probably be addicted to them yet again. Can anyone relate to this?

Thomas246
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Aug 2010, 10:40 pm

Yeah, I used to get that a lot when I was younger you'll grow out of it.

Crimsonfield
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Aug 2010, 8:39 am

Yeah, I have it with strategy games. I can play Total war: Medieval 2 for 10 hours straight for a few days until I'm tired of it. Then I ignore it for a month or so till the addiction kicks in again. It's even worse with World of Warcraft.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 9:29 am

I actually tend to stop playing when I know I am close to winning because I know how I will feel once I beat it. Such games I have stopped playing because of the fear of never playing include Oblivion, Fallout 3, Dragon Age, various Pokemon games, I also recently got very attached to Borderlands, but I have stopped in fear that I am close to an end.

More to the subject I have gotten very adicted to some games to finish that it was like a huge interest in many different parts of it, but fizzled a bit afterwards: Halo Wars, I hated it at first, but months later tried again and once getting the hang of it I did little else but play until I beat the campain. Dead Rising is another, I finaly got the courage to complete it and I was up until 5 in the morning so I could get the mega buster, I did kind of return to it a little while back, but my attempt at playing perfect did not go well, and what was a two day obsession stopped. I got quite addicted to Silent Hill Homecoming aswell, while playing I thought that I probably should go for replay, but again the motivation dissapeared.

I also tend to not only get obssesed with playing the game, but checking up several game information while playing for some help, or looking at background information, TV Tropes pages, wikipedia, youtube and pictures.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 1:53 pm

I'm pretty sure I'm going off topic here...I don't exactly get that, but I do get cravings for specific games that come and go. Usually it's a seasonal thing...like when it gets really hot out, I feel like playing something seafaring like Pirates! Gold, Ecco the Dolphin, or Zelda: Wind Waker. Same thing with wintery games in the winter.

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 2:03 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I'm pretty sure I'm going off topic here...I don't exactly get that, but I do get cravings for specific games that come and go. Usually it's a seasonal thing...like when it gets really hot out, I feel like playing something seafaring like Pirates! Gold, Ecco the Dolphin, or Zelda: Wind Waker. Same thing with wintery games in the winter.

you know you can dress as a pirate and go to the beach :lol:

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 7:51 pm

I've been like that for the past year.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2010, 12:07 pm

Friskeygirl wrote:
you know you can dress as a pirate and go to the beach :lol:

And then I'll just feel awkward because I'm standing in the middle of tons of people, dressed like a pirate for no reason.

Either that or I'll go the extra mile, dress up like a modern day pirate, and get arrested :cry:

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 11:45 am

Yeah I have those periods where I feel like that too.