Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

leftyswin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Sep 2010, 9:40 pm

Hey,

I'm a retro gamer and I've never really met anyone who likes what I like. I was just wondering what kind of gamers are out there. I have a few questions for you guys.

Who here is a retro gamer? What are your favorite games/systems? What are your least favorite games/systems?

My Answers:

I love all the old video games so much more than most of the new ones. My favorite system is the gameboy. My favorite, popular titbles are Zelda, Megaman (2), Pokemon (oldschool only), Metal Gear Solid, and a little Final Fantasy. There's probably more, but I forgot.

I'd have to that my lest favorite systems is the nintendo DS. I feel like Nintendo got a little gimmicky after that. Least favorite game is either Halo or Call of Duty. I'm not sure if I hate it because everyone likes it or because it's just so.. typical.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2010, 11:49 pm

I feel the same way, except the games I like are much older than those!

I'm talking games I used to play on an IBM 286 :wink:

leftyswin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Sep 2010, 11:59 pm

yellowtamarin wrote:
I feel the same way, except the games I like are much older than those!

I'm talking games I used to play on an IBM 286 :wink:

Haha, my school used to have old computers like that. Did you ever play Chip's Challenge?

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 5:20 am

I love retro games. My favorite system is the NES, but I also like the SNES and Sega Genesis (favorite games include Zelda, Bubble Bobble, Ninja Crusaders, Dr. Mario). Collecting them is something of a hobby of mine. It's surprisingly difficult finding people who enjoy them, though, and they are often so much better when playing with someone else.

My least favorite system is the X-Box. The fact that even the "small" controllers are too big for my hands makes me suspect the designers didn't even consider that some females do, in fact, play video games.

I like computer games, too, including the old ones, like Chip's Challenge (loved that one and Pipe Dreams as a kid).

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 8:44 am

Speaking of retro games I stumbled on this article the other day. It's about soviet era russian video games, there quite fascinating to look at seeing as they don't appear to use any digital electronic technology at all 8O

The Museum of Soviet Video Games

leftyswin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Sep 2010, 10:27 am

Kaybee wrote:
I love retro games. My favorite system is the NES, but I also like the SNES and Sega Genesis (favorite games include Zelda, Bubble Bobble, Ninja Crusaders, Dr. Mario). Collecting them is something of a hobby of mine. It's surprisingly difficult finding people who enjoy them, though, and they are often so much better when playing with someone else.

My least favorite system is the X-Box. The fact that even the "small" controllers are too big for my hands makes me suspect the designers didn't even consider that some females do, in fact, play video games.

I like computer games, too, including the old ones, like Chip's Challenge (loved that one and Pipe Dreams as a kid).

Yeah, retro games are so much better with friends. Right now I go to a small private school, so I don't have much of a selection with friends anymore. :( Dr. Mario was one of my favorites too. When I was I kid I actually hated it, I just played for the music. :P

I've never been a fan of the xbox stuff. I guess you could say I'm a little bit of a fan boy for Sony.. at least with the newer consoles I am.

Haha, pipe dream. That was one of the greatest. But it's only fun if I play the one I originally played on Windows 95. And Chips Challenge is one of my favorites too. I think that Chip's Challenge was actually the first game I ever played. I wish I didn't have a 64bit OP, or I would be downloading all these games right now. :(

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 12:20 pm

leftyswin wrote:
I wish I didn't have a 64bit OP, or I would be downloading all these games right now. :(

My friend got them to work, unless somehow she got a 32-bit version of Windows 7 Starter...

But otherwise you can just install Windows 3.x into DOSBox and they run okay that way.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 5:09 pm

leftyswin wrote:
Haha, my school used to have old computers like that. Did you ever play Chip's Challenge?

Hehehe Chip's Challenge. "Bummer!" :lol:

leftyswin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Sep 2010, 6:09 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
leftyswin wrote:
I wish I didn't have a 64bit OP, or I would be downloading all these games right now. :(

My friend got them to work, unless somehow she got a 32-bit version of Windows 7 Starter...

But otherwise you can just install Windows 3.x into DOSBox and they run okay that way.

Huh.. I'll have to look that up. Or maybe a way to emulate windows 95. So it'll be just like the good old days.

yellowtamarin wrote:
Hehehe Chip's Challenge. "Bummer!" :lol:

lol

BroncosRtheBest
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Sep 2010, 7:06 pm

Well on the 95 emulation, I think it's MESS that might do that; it emulates pretty much everything one can emulate.

My favorite retro system is the 64, if you can call that retro. Those games are epic. Some other favorites are WWF Wrestlemania for the NES and Oregon Trail for I think an old IBM. It was on a floppy...

leftyswin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Sep 2010, 8:54 pm

BroncosRtheBest wrote:
Well on the 95 emulation, I think it's MESS that might do that; it emulates pretty much everything one can emulate.

My favorite retro system is the 64, if you can call that retro. Those games are epic. Some other favorites are WWF Wrestlemania for the NES and Oregon Trail for I think an old IBM. It was on a floppy...

lol, I could never play Oregon Trail. The people always got scurvy.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2010, 12:49 pm

leftyswin wrote:
Huh.. I'll have to look that up. Or maybe a way to emulate windows 95. So it'll be just like the good old days.

I believe DOSBox will run 95 also, but not as well as it runs 3.x.

Or they have Virtual Machines too, but I've never really tried it for myself, so I don't know exactly how that works.

leftyswin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Sep 2010, 11:32 am

I just got a windows 98 virtual machine running. Time for some chips challenge! :D

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 12:01 pm

CHIP'S CHALLENGE!! ! Oh 95, how I miss you.... *smooches dead processor...*

I am a total retro gamer. I have a NES, SNES, Sega mega drive, N64, Sega Dreamcast, Game cube and PS2. I also have a GB pocket, GB advance and a DS lite. I have to agree though that the DS and all afterwards has been gimmicky.

I have a few games that are 'rare' apparently (a guy who lives next door knows WAAAY more about retro consoles than me... that's AMAZING!) including: Asterix (NES), Harley's humongous adventure (SNES), Unirally (SNES), a (apparently) pirate copy of Super mario kart and a copy of Dancing stage party edition which doesn't seem to look like anyone elses...

Overall though, I couldn't care less what is rare and what isnt... I just love to play them!

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 6:13 pm

For retro game enthusiasts, portable gaming systems, especially the Nintendo DS/GBA and iOS devices are an excellent option.

The DS/GBA is home to numerous good quality ports, such as Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI. On iOS devices, adventure games such as Broken Sword and Beneath A Steel Sky have made a return due to the strength of the touchscreen input for these sorts of games. Sega, EA, Activision and many of the console developers are also working on porting many old titles to the platform.

I play much more modern games than old ones, so I'm no retro enthusiast. But at the moment I'm having a ball playing Tyrian for iOS, which was a great shoot em up developed by Epic for DOS back in the 90s.

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 4:29 am

My first console was the NES. My favorite games for it were Mega Man, Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros 3, Duck Hunt, and a few others that I can't remember the names of.