Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2010, 4:36 am

I love boardgames, I reckon they are the ultimate social activity. Playing a boardgame with friends is better than...

...doing coffee. The focus is on the game so you don't have to come up with conversation, and it's a bit cheaper.
...going to the movies. There's more interaction with the other people, and it's cheaper.
...going to a bar. You can actually hear when the other people are saying, and it's MUCH cheaper.

Sadly my sister and one friend are the only person I know who enjoy playing boardgames, so it doesn't happen very often. Actually I reckon boardgames are the ultimate ASPIE social activity, maybe that's the reason why.

Any of you share my love of boardgames? What are your favourites?

Mark198423
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2010, 4:58 am

I LOVE risk but it's the hardest game to find anyone to play!

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2010, 8:43 am

I love boardgames! And table-based games in general. They can be so much fun, and social. Many of my fondest memories are of sitting around a table with a few friends for hours upon hours. Risk is wonderful. Do you play Risk: Godstorm? My favorite! :D Also, Civilization the board game. Now there's a game for patient people.

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2010, 9:43 am

I've enjoyed all kinds of table top games (card and board). Magic is still at the top of my list, but I've enjoyed Monopoly, Scrabble, Yahtzee, DnD, and lots of others. Problem is, as you get older, not many people seem to have the time or interest to join the fun :( . But, you can always keep looking. I know lots of hobby stores will host some kind of event to keep customers coming.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2010, 3:44 pm

It's a shame people "grow out of" boardgames. I don't think I ever will. My sister and I like putting new spins on the games. We sometimes play an alternative version of Guess Who, where you ask about the person's personality or lifestyle rather than their appearance.

My family doesn't mind playing Trivial Pursuit but I'm hopeless at trivia.

I'm not very familiar with Risk but I think it would be too slow-paced for me, or maybe too complex. I like to keep them simple :P

Mark198423
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2010, 6:26 pm

Kaybee wrote:
I love boardgames! And table-based games in general. They can be so much fun, and social. Many of my fondest memories are of sitting around a table with a few friends for hours upon hours. Risk is wonderful. Do you play Risk: Godstorm? My favorite! :D Also, Civilization the board game. Now there's a game for patient people.

I'd never heard of Godstorm but have just looked it up and it looks interesting! Definately want to buy it! :D Is it less fiddley than old risk?

MightyMike
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Nov 2010, 4:26 am

I love boardgames!

Here is a short list of what I like:

. Chess
. Chess 4 (4 player chess)
. Settlers of Catan
. Carcassonne
. Othello
. King's Court

Anyone know where we could go online to play any of these games together? Facebook maybe? Or are there games on this site? I love to play board games, even if it's online (although I prefer playing with the face-to-face interaction).

termometrs
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Nov 2010, 3:35 pm

I'm a fan of board games and luckily most of my friends enjoy spending evenings playing them instead of going out, and over the years we have gathered quite a big collection of games. Only we sometimes have disputes about choosing between games that are strategical/thinking or luck based.

Although the reason why I have such friends, are because majority of them I met while learning to play bridge, so it means they are people who enjoy such activities.

A friend of mine recently got as a present Battlestar Galactica, so currently it's a favorite. Also there's a game called Ticket to Ride that I enjoy.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 7:02 pm

I played Connect Four and Chinese Checkers with my ex girlfriend. (More like my ex-ex-ex girlfriend) We used to play Checkers, but then I got good at it, so she didn't want to play anymore XD

We played chess a couple times, but that got really old (for her) cause I'm better by a mile. She had this train set, where you have to get the red train out of the puzzle. She LOVED that thing, not just because I was bad at it :lol:

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 8:42 pm

Most of you seem to like similar kinds of games - strategy-type games. I think they are great to play when bored, but I probably wouldn't choose them as a primary social activity.

Anyone like playing stupid, fun games like scattergories, pictionary, etc.?

Chevand
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 3:15 am

Mark198423 wrote:
I LOVE risk but it's the hardest game to find anyone to play!

I love Risk too. I suppose there aren't many people who really have the patience for a full game. Plus, at a certain point during the course of gameplay, it has a tendency to become very one-sided, which might also turn off some players.

My favorite, though, is Stratego. I've had quite a bit of practice with that one. :D One of my favorite strategies is rooting out the other player's Marshal and Spy and eliminating both of them, so my Marshal has free reign to kill anything else that moves. XD

snowyday
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Nov 2010, 1:48 pm

Wow, this thread is PERFECT.

It's great to read that you like board games so much because as I wrote in my first post on a different thread, I've got to design a board game and my group chose to design it for Aspies.

Please could you tell me what you like in board games, and what you don't like? I know that sounds a bit vague, but I mean any aspect of the game such as the colours used and general visual design, set up, rules, what you have to do while playing and so on.

I'm studying art therapy, so our game has to be to practise something that Aspies would find helpful. We are considering practising facial, emotion recognition and aiming towards 10-14 year-olds, but we've only started thinking about it so all your feedback would be extremely welcome.

Thank you so much

snowyday

FluffyDog
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2010, 4:37 pm

Just to save everyone some confusion and to prevent this thread from being hijacked for a discussion of the details of a game that is still in the making, you can find snowyday's original topic here.

Hope you don't feel offended by me tidying up after you, snowyday. :)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2010, 5:21 pm

yellowtamarin wrote:
I love boardgames, I reckon they are the ultimate social activity. Playing a boardgame with friends is better than...

...doing coffee. The focus is on the game so you don't have to come up with conversation, and it's a bit cheaper.
...going to the movies. There's more interaction with the other people, and it's cheaper.
...going to a bar. You can actually hear when the other people are saying, and it's MUCH cheaper.

Sadly my sister and one friend are the only person I know who enjoy playing boardgames, so it doesn't happen very often. Actually I reckon boardgames are the ultimate ASPIE social activity, maybe that's the reason why.

Any of you share my love of boardgames? What are your favourites?

I like intense stategy games like civilization, diplomacy etc. Have designed a few wargames for my own entertainment.

But for socializing I lover "trivial persuits". "scrabble". never tried scattagories.

fobfan123
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Dec 2010, 6:15 am

apples to apples and scattegories are my favorite, and settlers of catan is slowly creeping into my favorites

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2010, 10:45 am

Mark198423 wrote:
Kaybee wrote:

I'd never heard of Godstorm but have just looked it up and it looks interesting! Definately want to buy it! :D Is it less fiddley than old risk?

I'm sorry, I completely forgot about this thread! It is much less "fiddley" than the original Risk. I'd say it's more engaging and the fact that it takes far less time doesn't hurt (an average game of Godstorm goes for about 3 hours among my friends). I highly recommend it.

yellowtamarin wrote:
Most of you seem to like similar kinds of games - strategy-type games. I think they are great to play when bored, but I probably wouldn't choose them as a primary social activity.

I think strategy games are a great social activity--lots of interaction with your fellow players. But, of course, only among the right types of people. They're not for everyone.

yellowtamarin wrote:
Anyone like playing stupid, fun games like scattergories, pictionary, etc.?

I do! But I find those best when not entirely sober. I'm especially a fan of drunken Pictionary.