Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Helixstein
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2011, 7:48 pm

Khet is a chess-like abstract strategy board game using lasers that was formerly known as Deflexion. Players take turns moving Egyptian-themed pieces around the playing field, firing their low-powered laser diode after each move. Most of the pieces are mirrored on one or more sides, allowing the players to alter the path of the laser through the playing field. When a piece is struck by a laser on a non-mirrored side, it is eliminated from the game. A few elements of the gameplay, therefore, are slightly similar to the computer game Laser Chess.
Under its original name, the game was a Mensa Select Award winner. Its name was changed on September 15, 2006. The new game retains the same rules of gameplay, but has a different design, including a new color scheme and a new box design. Under the new name, the game was one of five finalists for the 2007 Toy of the Year award.

Do any other users of WP play Khet?

Helixstein
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2011, 11:05 pm

Either my description of the game was so tedious that it lulled all who viewed this thread to sleep, or nobody on WP plays Khet, which is rather difficult to believe.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 1:34 pm

Your description was ripped straight off Wikipedia. :?

I prefer to stick with chess over any of the new novelty games. Chess is a much better-developed and wider-played game than any other similar game, and oftentimes these sort of novelty games have a rather poorly-thought-out dynamic. Additionally, if the game as constructed actually is as deep as chess, then it can only be enjoyed after some years of practice in order to obtain a minimal level of competence, and there simply is not enough of a Khet community out there that even minimally accurate play has been developed. I'm certain that the winner of MIT's Deflexion tournament was making egregious blunders on a regular basis.

Helixstein
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2011, 12:08 am

Orwell wrote:
Your description was ripped straight off Wikipedia. :?

I prefer to stick with chess over any of the new novelty games. Chess is a much better-developed and wider-played game than any other similar game, and oftentimes these sort of novelty games have a rather poorly-thought-out dynamic. Additionally, if the game as constructed actually is as deep as chess, then it can only be enjoyed after some years of practice in order to obtain a minimal level of competence, and there simply is not enough of a Khet community out there that even minimally accurate play has been developed. I'm certain that the winner of MIT's Deflexion tournament was making egregious blunders on a regular basis.

I never claimed otherwise. Khet is not a novelty game, and it is obvious that you are making a gross assumption, as with your assuming that I wrote that description.

My enquiry was if any other users of WP use Khet, not for criticism of the game that I so overly fond of.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2011, 11:31 am

Helixstein wrote:
Khet is not a novelty game

Yes, it is, pretty much by definition.

Quote:
My enquiry was if any other users of WP use Khet.

The answer appears to be "no." I was merely expressing a preference for an established and richly developed game.

Helixstein
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 1:48 am

Orwell wrote:

I highly doubt that Mensa would award a mere "novelty game".

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 2:33 am

Helixstein wrote:
Orwell wrote:

I highly doubt that Mensa would award a mere "novelty game".

Why not? How is MENSA some all-knowing judge of worth in games? How are they a meaningful judge of anything? Come on, it's an organization devoted to acting like they're better than everyone else on the basis of highly suspect measurements.

Anyways, go ahead and look up when Khet was invented. It is a novelty game. You may not llike the connotations of that term, but nevertheless the definition applies.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 2:49 am

Who cares? If you enjoy them game then that's good enough. I've actually always wanted to play a game like this, but I'd need a fog machine or something so you could actually see the laser, that'd be much more awesome. 8)