Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2011, 10:57 pm

Does anyone here still own old used-up games for obsolete consoles that they still play occassionaly?

I own an Nintendo GameCube that was given to me by a friend a few years ago and it has a few games that I no longer play and I am trying to find a way to get rid of, however I have a couple of games for this outdated system that I still enjoy playing every now and then and that I will probably never get rid of: that being my Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition and the remake of Resident Evil 1.

The Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition was actually a promotional giveaway item that included ports of the first two 2D games and the 3D games Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask (which are both my personal favorites in the series). I have yet to actually beat both games but I keep telling myself that one day I will beat them and see how they end. I also love The Legend of Zelda because of the fantasy adventure theme yet at the same time the story always feels original and not cliche like most Japanese RPGs.

Resident Evil for the GameCube was basically a remake of the first game in this survival horror series. It's well known for having impressive graphics that look very realistic, and it fixed a lot of the problems from the original game such as the cheesy voice acting. The story was still kept the same though and it added new rooms to the mansion and a new monster in the form of a mutated girl named Lisa Trevor. So this was basically the same scary game but with updated graphics and gameplay, and it shares a similarity to my favorite movie Night of the Living Dead.

I think I enjoy Legend of Zelda and Resident Evil mostly for the memories, these were games that I was very fond of playing as a kid and so I always find something about them to like no matter how old I get. Plus since the newer games in these series don't seem as great as the older games in my opinion it's nice that I still have these old games and can play them. I just hope my GameCube doesn't die out on me some day.

So anyways what about you guys? Any outdated games and consoles you like to play? :)

TwistedReflection
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Sep 2011, 1:54 am

I'm a hoarder and I'm always replaying old games on old systems. I also own a GameCube, along with games like Wind Waker, Metroid Prime and the Resident Evil remake.

Two words: Crimson Heads!! :P

I suppose it comes down to replay value, which varies from game-to-game; for example, Animal Crossing has no definite ending and can be played infinitum. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind is also infinitely replayable, in my opinion, because of the sheer enormity of Vvardenfell and its surrounding locales and the numerous options for customization.

I never tire of my favourite games, and I expect to replay them all until the day I die. :lol:

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2011, 6:56 am

TwistedReflection wrote:
Two words: Crimson Heads!! :P

lol yeah, Crimson Heads were a cool new enemy. I also liked Lisa Trevor, she was probably the creepiest monster in the entire series in my opinion.

The one thing I didn't like about this game was the "One Dangerous Zombie" mode, where they have Forest Speyer zombies covered in grenades wondering around the mansion and if you shoot him you blow up and the game ends. That mode might have been alright if it was optional, but the fact that once you unlock it it'll effect your game permanently makes it kind of annoying.

Even though my games work great, I'm a little worried because of the fact they have a few scratches. I think I need to save some money to take them to a game store and have the discs buffed just so they can be like new again. :)

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2011, 1:58 pm

I should also mention that while it's not obsolete yet (though it probably will be very soon), I own a PSP that my family bought me last X-mas along with several games. Most of the games I don't really like and will probably get rid of some day, but 3 of them I like a lot and will probably keep forever. These 3 games are actually ports of really old games: Castlevania The Dracula X Chronicles (contains the original and remake of Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night), Final Fantasy II, and Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded (which has a lot of old games like Street Fighter II and Ghouls'n Ghosts).

It's kind of neat having so many old 2D games on a portable console that I can take with me anywhere I want. Even though I don't play the games that much, just having them in my collection is cool. I feel like the ports of classic games for the PSP is what makes it a suitable console and not the original (bad) 3D games they tried to come out with it. I think they should make a console soley for the purpose of porting all the classic 2D games. :P