Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2016, 9:39 pm

The "vets" come out and say bad stuff about the latest game saying the older ones are way better. And yet new gameplay mechanics that made *insert whatever game* better overall (such as better menus or such) yet people cling to the older games.

If I play Fire Emblem for strategy gameplay I should look towards the older FE games vs. Awakening or Fates.

Also the ones with the best maps and "best game" overall tend to be the old what looks like "dated" obviously SNES game. It does look dated it hasn't aged well at all graphically yet I can go back to DKC,LTTP,FF games and Earthbound just fine among a few other SNES games.

Or how they stand by Generations (Monster Hunter) appealing to casuals and it's piss easy!

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2016, 12:51 am

I'd just like to jump in and declare that I pretty much *always* hate video game fans.

Granted I tend to hate basically everything by default, but still.

I know of no other community worse than these guys. The most rude, insulting, unpleasant group of people I've ever encountered.

And God help you if you dare play a "casual" game. Then you'll get piles of insults thrown at you, oh yes. I cant count the number of times I've had this one flung at me. This, despite the games I ACTUALLY tend to really get into; hyper-difficult bullet-hell games, roguelikes/roguelites, the more complicated fighting games... and so on. To those that know me I definitely qualify as a "hardcore" gamer, for what damn little the stupid label means. But these labels sure mean a heck of alot to much of the irritating community.

Frankly though, if I want to sit down for awhile and play Angry Birds, I'll bloody well sit down and play Angry Freaking Birds. Fun is fun, and it bugs me that you get so many people belittling others for their tastes. Not to mention making tons of assumptions. Just because someone likes, say, Candy Crush, doesnt mean that's all they play. The very idea of that assumption is idiotic.

Also I'm so, SO tired of watching veteran players (in multiplayer games) insult newbie players. Why the heck is this necessary? Why not HELP them and create a welcoming atmosphere? The damn jerks...

On a side note... MH Generations, for casuals? What? It's freaking Monster Hunter! It's still the same ideas and such that it ever was, and NONE of those games have ever been perfect; they're usually pretty great but there's always a couple of big flaws in there. This one is no exception.

Though even if it is made a little easier... why does this matter? They dont need to sneer at people for liking the game. It would just mean that it's a bit easier for new players to get into it. Isnt that a good thing? And I'm betting that the game still generates PLENTY of challenge as you get into it. The series always does.

Bah!

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Aug 2016, 1:08 am

To be honest, it can be true or wrong depending on the game itself. Some newer games are truly much worse than their predecessors when it comes to gameplay or features. I've never heard of anyone saying that the Sims 4 is better than the Sims 3 or 2, or even equal, and if did, I'd seriously think that they work for EA or own a store. It doesn't mean because somebody has a negative opinion of one newer game that they hate all newer games in general.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2016, 1:25 am

I get pretty annoyed by self described 'hardcore' gamers. Usually teenagers and people with too much time or money. Especially when their feedback is usually taken into account for future development. I used to play a fair bit of WoW for example, and whenever some new improvement or quality of life change came in inevitably there'd be a huge number of people decrying the 'casualization' of their game. Such as the ability to queue for dungeons and raids; certainly after I finished high school I didn't have the time to stand around spamming chat in cities, recruiting people to then go across the world to do a dungeon. I don't play WoW anymore but it still happens in other games I play. Recently the developers of Elite Dangerous said they're going to make it so you can have ships transported to you across the galaxy, which is a major quality of life change that removes a lot of the tedium of moving ships yourself. The major complaint seems to be that it isn't realistic and transporting ships should at least take several hours to a entire day. When I hear this I feel like I'm playing games for an entirely different reason from these people.

As for older games, I often do think older games are better than their more modern counterparts. But it's difficult to discount if the game has aged in other ways when recommending it to a person who didn't grow up playing a similar generation of titles. I don't think anyone has ever made a space 4x game to surpass Master of Orion 2, or a tactical turn based game to surpass Jagged Alliance 2 for example. But for someone not accustomed to the micromanagement of those titles it's far easier to recommend modern variants like XCOM Enemy Unknown with less caveats related to their age.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2016, 11:28 am

Misery wrote:
I'd just like to jump in and declare that I pretty much *always* hate video game fans.

I know of no other community worse than these guys. The most rude, insulting, unpleasant group of people I've ever encountered.

And God help you if you dare play a "casual" game. Then you'll get piles of insults thrown at you, oh yes. I cant count the number of times I've had this one flung at me. This, despite the games I ACTUALLY tend to really get into; hyper-difficult bullet-hell games, roguelikes/roguelites, the more complicated fighting games... and so on. To those that know me I definitely qualify as a "hardcore" gamer, for what damn little the stupid label means. But these labels sure mean a heck of alot to much of the irritating community.

Frankly though, if I want to sit down for awhile and play Angry Birds, I'll bloody well sit down and play Angry Freaking Birds. Fun is fun, and it bugs me that you get so many people belittling others for their tastes. Not to mention making tons of assumptions. Just because someone likes, say, Candy Crush, doesnt mean that's all they play. The very idea of that assumption is idiotic.

Also I'm so, SO tired of watching veteran players (in multiplayer games) insult newbie players. Why the heck is this necessary? Why not HELP them and create a welcoming atmosphere? The damn jerks...

On a side note... MH Generations, for casuals? What? It's freaking Monster Hunter! It's still the same ideas and such that it ever was, and NONE of those games have ever been perfect; they're usually pretty great but there's always a couple of big flaws in there. This one is no exception.

Though even if it is made a little easier... why does this matter? They dont need to sneer at people for liking the game. It would just mean that it's a bit easier for new players to get into it. Isnt that a good thing? And I'm betting that the game still generates PLENTY of challenge as you get into it. The series always does.

Bah!

Good points. I agree perhaps Generations got even more people into MH and there are still Deviant versions if the new players will even get that far before giving up. A pokemon youtuber made a good point Pokemon isn't made for us adults it has handholding since it's geared towards children and if they don't have there hand held they give up and move onto there smartphone/tablet game. Games aren't made for the hardcore it seems at times.

The harping about "casual" is yes people assume that's all you play. family may know what Angry Birds and Candy Crush are with there simpler gameplay mechanics but seem confused "Final Fantasy what's that?" RPG what's that??? I like Candy Crush it's easier. Without understanding the IMO joy of the story and depth that an FF or Zelda has.

Love your viewpoint! :-)

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2016, 5:11 pm

I pretty much hate fans of *anything*, even if I like the same things they do, as they are impossible to please and if you don't agree with everything they say they basically want your head on a stake. Of course that's rather the pot calling the kettle black, as the old saying goes.

(In case you don't know already, "the pot calling the kettle black" means to accuse other people of something you are guilty of yourself :) )

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2016, 3:52 am

MissAlgernon wrote:
To be honest, it can be true or wrong depending on the game itself. Some newer games are truly much worse than their predecessors when it comes to gameplay or features. I've never heard of anyone saying that the Sims 4 is better than the Sims 3 or 2, or even equal, and if did, I'd seriously think that they work for EA or own a store. It doesn't mean because somebody has a negative opinion of one newer game that they hate all newer games in general.

This. An example that comes to mind is Doom 3 vs the classic Dooms. The gameplay in Doom 3 is much, much slower-paced than the originals, and the level design is far more linear. A lot of people found the hectic nature of the originals to be vastly superior to Doom 3's more atmospheric style, and I would certainly agree that from a gameplay standard Doom 3 was the inferior product.

Misery wrote:

The fitness community is pretty vile. There's so much ego and negativity there.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2016, 7:39 am

What purpose does insulting newbies serve anyway? If you insult the newbies then they won't wanna play video games ... Not a great way to get someone into your hobby if you insult them all the time. I gotta be honest and say that I've never experienced any kinda insult from other gamers like that. I suppose I've just been blessed to not receive so much hatred from my gaming peers o-o

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2016, 11:23 am

I'll just say a lot of Kojima's fanboys are extremely hypocritical. At first they defend his decision to get rid of Hayter, and yet they get all butthurt when Konami has an actual legitimate reason to get rid of him from a financial viewpoint. Now they're saying MGS never had zombies and the new game is a sell out...I wonder if any of them actually finished V lol. In any case I'm more interested in this new game with a new writer. At least it plays it straight rather than some pretentious bs explanation like parasites or nanomachines after 50 hours of repeat missions or three previous games.

While someone else is eating or opening a window or
just walking dully along...

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2016, 9:54 pm

green0star wrote:
What purpose does insulting newbies serve anyway? If you insult the newbies then they won't wanna play video games ... Not a great way to get someone into your hobby if you insult them all the time. I gotta be honest and say that I've never experienced any kinda insult from other gamers like that. I suppose I've just been blessed to not receive so much hatred from my gaming peers o-o

Simple: They're bullies, basically. They do that crap for the same reason that schoolyard bullies do it. It makes them feel better, stronger. Gives them a feeling of superiority. And competitive games, well... for some of them, the whole POINT of competitive games is to prove themselves to be superior by defeating other players.

Like with normal bullies they never, EVER think about the consequences of what they're doing. Not that they'd give a damn anyway... they are too focused on themselves.

And if you DO then beat them, well... their reactions speak for themselves. You'll get the most violent, screamy reactions out of this type of player, if you take them down, particularly if you completely wreck them. Which, I will admit, is VERY satisfying to do...

Overall though, they're just jerks who are able to find easy targets in the newbie players. There's really no reasons beyond the usual for these dolts.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2016, 11:31 pm

I care not about the social aspect of gaming, I find merit in some old games, I find merit in some new games. I couldn't care less what people think about the games I play. I play games because I like them and I want to play them, not because someone approves of rather or not I like them. I play what I want, there are some real gems that go unnoticed.

BlasphemousDoggy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Aug 2016, 1:53 pm

I personally hate obsessive fans of anything because they tend to have a way of ruining things that are great entertainment. I have a few favorite things that I'm a fan of myself like The Golden Girls, Courage the Cowardly Dog, cheesy 80's zombie movies, and the original Resident Evil games for the first PlayStation system. But I don't take my appreciation for those things to the extreme like some people do by filling my room with worthless collectables which cost more than they should or by bullying people who might have a slight interest in these things out of liking them just for not being "true fans".

Oh and for the record I think I've pretty much given up on video games these days lol I mean I just don't get the appeal behind a bunch of copycat action-shooters that do everything BUT force you to play online just because online gaming is the latest fad (which I find very annoying). Whatever happened to the old days when there was more of a unique variety of game genres and gamers actually liked these games for being different from each other? Nobody seems to appreciate it when a video game tries to be different anymore and they have all pretty much blended into the same genre.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2016, 1:23 am

BlasphemousDoggy wrote:
I personally hate obsessive fans of anything because they tend to have a way of ruining things that are great entertainment. I have a few favorite things that I'm a fan of myself like The Golden Girls, Courage the Cowardly Dog, cheesy 80's zombie movies, and the original Resident Evil games for the first PlayStation system. But I don't take my appreciation for those things to the extreme like some people do by filling my room with worthless collectables which cost more than they should or by bullying people who might have a slight interest in these things out of liking them just for not being "true fans".

Oh and for the record I think I've pretty much given up on video games these days lol I mean I just don't get the appeal behind a bunch of copycat action-shooters that do everything BUT force you to play online just because online gaming is the latest fad (which I find very annoying). Whatever happened to the old days when there was more of a unique variety of game genres and gamers actually liked these games for being different from each other? Nobody seems to appreciate it when a video game tries to be different anymore and they have all pretty much blended into the same genre.

Actually there's about 10 squillion of the sorts of games you describe as being part of the "old days". And I mean there's 10 squillion RECENT ones that are like that. But you have to look to indie games, not the AAA sort. The AAA sort (the ones you're speaking of in a negative sense, games with massive budgets, the endless shooters and online-focused ones, those sorts) are hyper-repetetive because developers have dug themselves into a rut; the budgets have gotten TOO big, so new ideas are now too risky for a developer like that. They HAVE to stick to whatever is already known to work for them.

Indie devs, however, can make whatever in the hell they want. If they want to make the strangest game in existence, they absolutely can do so; there's no monster budget to be a threat, and no huge publisher telling them that they cant.

Seriously, it's worth looking into. There's TONS of these. I cant stand the sorts of games you describe as part of the problem any more than you can, yet because there's so many of these creative and interesting ones I make VERY frequent purchases of new games. Rarely am I disappointed.

Though, gamers that NEED amazing graphics to hold their interest simply wont find them in indie games. ....usually.

BlasphemousDoggy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Aug 2016, 12:21 pm

Misery wrote:
BlasphemousDoggy wrote:

Actually there's about 10 squillion of the sorts of games you describe as being part of the "old days". And I mean there's 10 squillion RECENT ones that are like that. But you have to look to indie games, not the AAA sort. The AAA sort (the ones you're speaking of in a negative sense, games with massive budgets, the endless shooters and online-focused ones, those sorts) are hyper-repetetive because developers have dug themselves into a rut; the budgets have gotten TOO big, so new ideas are now too risky for a developer like that. They HAVE to stick to whatever is already known to work for them.

Indie devs, however, can make whatever in the hell they want. If they want to make the strangest game in existence, they absolutely can do so; there's no monster budget to be a threat, and no huge publisher telling them that they cant.

Seriously, it's worth looking into. There's TONS of these. I cant stand the sorts of games you describe as part of the problem any more than you can, yet because there's so many of these creative and interesting ones I make VERY frequent purchases of new games. Rarely am I disappointed.

Though, gamers that NEED amazing graphics to hold their interest simply wont find them in indie games. ....usually.

Yeah I know what you're saying I played some of the indie games myself for the PS3 and a lot of them were entertaining but the problem I had with those was the that they were downloads-only and I personally prefer games and movies that are available on disc or some other physical copy. That's why I still buy my movies on DVD and refuse to pay money to download them because frankly I don't trust the idea of downloads (I once downloaded so many games, themes, and DLC on my PS3 which I paid good money for only to have my PS3 get fried). If I really like a movie/show/game/song I would prefer to actually own it for the rest of my life.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2016, 7:35 am

BlasphemousDoggy wrote:
Yeah I know what you're saying I played some of the indie games myself for the PS3 and a lot of them were entertaining but the problem I had with those was the that they were downloads-only and I personally prefer games and movies that are available on disc or some other physical copy. That's why I still buy my movies on DVD and refuse to pay money to download them because frankly I don't trust the idea of downloads (I once downloaded so many games, themes, and DLC on my PS3 which I paid good money for only to have my PS3 get fried). If I really like a movie/show/game/song I would prefer to actually own it for the rest of my life.

Aye, I've had that thought before, but... that's why you just back everything up, heh.

Though, I'm also not really speaking of indie games on consoles; there's actually very few of those. Most indie games never reach consoles (nor do quite alot of other games). Consoles have... issues, when it comes to publishing on them. So alot of developers simply dont bother. Most of this stuff is on PC, and on there, it's nice and easy to manage. If bought on Steam, for instance, they can simply be redownloaded at any time, if you want. Or be on multiple machines at once (convenient if you have a PC and a laptop as I do). If something were to happen to the hard drive, just needs to be downloaded again. In most cases you could even simply back them up onto a physical USB drive.

And the thing about THAT is that it's actually way more secure than DVDs. Why? Because one scratch can end a DVD. 80 scratches though wont do anything to a USB drive. Or even better, an external HDD. I've had about a squillion different physical copies of games over the years. MOST of my actual discs, be they CDs or DVDs, are now dead. There's just too many of them and not enough places to store the idiotic things, so they ended up in spots where they got a damn scratch. All of my old cartridge-based games (going back to the 2600), as well as PC games (aside from those that I used to have only on CD/DVD), are just fine. The PC games are simply backed up in too many places, and the cartridges are nigh-indestructible. That sort of thing is why I honestly just dont trust discs; they're just too weak. Even on modern consoles I usually just download things (unless the damn thing runs out of space, which my Wii U already did, bah), though on consoles that's really just preference. I dont want to have to look for the stupid things every time I want to fire up a game.

Though, one thing does bug me: If you downloaded stuff onto your PS3 there as you said, and it got fried... was there something preventing you from just grabbing them again, when (if?) you got a new one? You know, go back onto their store, into your account, and just grab it from there? Since you already paid for them. Dont tell me Sony doesnt ALLOW that... that'd be ridiculously lame in this day and age. I know Nintendo allows it but I'm not familiar with Sony's store these days as I barely use their consoles.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

01 Sep 2016, 8:04 am

It goes both ways, there are far too many little kids playing multiplayer gaming ESPECIALLY first-person shooters so what is to be expected when you are faced with a constant barrage of the worst possible insults from some 11 year old boy whose voice hasn't cracked. COD is a good example, I would definitely say that previous versions were better and that the newer iterations that are basically Halo with more weapons. In COD there are exploitative 'cheap' ways of playing that can make the game unplayable for everyone. I use to like sports games too like Madden but Madden is basically the same every year.