Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

WBM
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Aug 2016, 9:34 am

What Do you guys think of The home console that's called Nintendo 64?

Extrication
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Aug 2016, 11:27 am

In my opinion, it was a promising console for the first two years until it started to nosedive around 1998.

Developers tried to squeeze too much out of the technology instead of following the example set by Super Mario 64, with it's simple color palette. Wave Race 64 wowed me with it's water physics. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter was mind blowing for 1997, and yet I found it's sequel to be underwhelming in every aspect (save for the Cerebral Bore, which was really little more than a blatant ripoff of Tall Man's silver balls from the movie Phantasm). Doom 64 is underrated and a classic. Goldeneye is overrated and a classic. I played the hell out of Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire, and I have a soft spot for Cruis'n USA despite it's negative critical reception.

The system had a cumbersome controller design, with a joystick that wore out too quickly (the infamous white powder). By 1996, saving to cartridge should have been the norm; instead, owners were forced to shell out extra $$$ for a memory card. A few third-party titles, such as the port for Shadow Man, actually featured load times. Par for the course, Nintendo's library ultimately came up lacking (especially when compared to what Sony was doing in those days).

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2016, 4:59 pm

I have a purple one. I enjoy it and have quite a few games for it. My favorites have to be Wave Race, Kirby 64 Crystal Shards, Pokemon Stadium and Mortal Kombat 4.

I got it for Christmas one year. I had one when I was little. I remember playing Pokemon Stadium and begging my grandparents to let me bring it to their house, plug it into their TV and finish my battle dang it!

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Aug 2016, 5:55 pm

The greatest gaming console ever made.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2016, 5:31 pm

Extrication wrote:
In my opinion, it was a promising console for the first two years until it started to nosedive around 1998.
If you cut off at 1998 you're missing out on Perfect Dark and Conquer's Bar Day.
Extrication wrote:
The system had a cumbersome controller design, with a joystick that wore out too quickly (the infamous white powder).
There is a solution. I've got this really good modded controller that has a joystick similar to a Gamecube Joystick.
Extrication wrote:
By 1996, saving to cartridge should have been the norm; instead, owners were forced to shell out extra $$$ for a memory card.
By 1996 there shouldn't have been any cartridges to save to. The third parties went to Playstation because disks are cheaper. If they hadn't made the N64 cartridge based at the last minute it would have had not only the best first party games but also the best third party support, enabling it to cripple the Playstation.

That would have made it the better machine because unlike the Playstation it could do biliniar texture filtering.

In spite of it's faults it's still an awesome system. It holds some of my fondest memories from childhood such as getting the 120th star in Mario 64 before GameFAQs was available, defeating Andross and playing Goldeneye using twin controllers, one to move and one to aim.

Extrication

26 Aug 2016, 8:43 am

Quote:
If you cut off at 1998 you're missing out on Perfect Dark and Conquer's Bar Day.

True. However, by that year I was too busy playing Akuji the Heartless, Apocalypse, Blood Omen, Final Fantasy 7, Metal Gear Solid, the Resident Evil series, Tenchu, the Twisted Metal series, and a bunch of other PSX titles to care about what few games the N64 had to offer. (A year later, I was playing Silent Hill, Soul Reaver, Syphon Filter, etc.) For me, the system had completely lost it's magic by 1999.

Quote:
By 1996 there shouldn't have been any cartridges to save to.

Agreed.

Quote:
In spite of it's faults it's still an awesome system.

Agreed. It was a marvel for it's day.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

03 Sep 2016, 11:47 pm

I like it. My favorite games for it are Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, & Zelda Ocarina of Time. Donkey Kong would be in my list too but I'm not a fan of all the little minigames in it. I need my girlfriend to help beat lots of those.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition