Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 9:46 pm

Has anyone played this game for the PS3? I havn't yet because I don't own a PS3, but if I get one for X-mas this year *fingers crossed* I'm definetly going to try to import the PAL version of this game so I can own it on disc (since sadly the game isn't available on disc here in the US :( ).

I've played the original Siren on PS2 which I enjoyed a lot, but this one seems like the better remake. At first I was one of the people against the fact that they were remaking it with American characters in place of the original Japanese characters, but I started to realize it's really not so bad and it''s kind of cool to see how Americans would react if they were lost in a cursed Japanese village with undead monsters like in this game. Plus their reasons for being in Japan I felt was handled a lot better then that crappy The Grudge film, it actually made sense why these characters would be in this country and how they could all end up in this one area on the same day.

Anyways this game is really scary, you get to control a variety of characters like an American high school exchange student, a female TV reporter, a cameraman, a college professor, his 10 year old daughter, a crazy Japanese doctor, and a mysterious female cult leader and each character is trapped in this cursed village called Hanuda where they are each trying to find a way out. You get to play as one of each character in episodes as they explore different parts of the village like the shopping area, a mine, a church, and a hospital as they use a variety of different weapons and traps to fight for survival. Each character uncovers clues in the village that explain what is going on.

When I finally get a Playstation 3 I want to try and get this game along with the Silent Hill HD Collection so that I can play some classic horror gaming goodness. Its also amazing that both Siren and Silent Hill were made by some of the same people. :)

joku_muko
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 9:51 pm

I played the demo off PSN and enjoyed it. The only reason I haven't bought it is its still like $40 (?) off PSN. I have it in my watch for sale list. The import idea is good. I was actually thinking of doing that for Fritz Chess since US didn't get that one either.

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 9:58 pm

I think it's always best to own a game on disc, that way if for any reason you no longer have access to the console's online feature you can still play it. :)

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 11:15 pm

Yep I've got the game. Played it and beat it. (Got all the extras - with a guide though; goddam impossible without one). Fun game, though a couple of things confused me about the ending.

What kept me interesting in the game were the characters and the music. Things really start to get interesting after the major plot twist about halfway through the game.

I played the game on disk, but I quickly realised it was an episodic game. One of the things I loved about this was the epic story recaps after every level. They hyped me up for the next level everytime I saw them.

They need more horror games like this with an ensemble cast. It would be great to see another Siren game, hopefully with more characters, more depth, more content. And more Shibito.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 2:17 pm

There's a new version?

The original reminded me of Ghost Recon but gave me an even bigger headache faster. Love survival horror but crawling on my belly just to start getting hit by an undead crackshot from a couple hundred feet away makes it all feel more cramped and frustrating than fun.

Hopefully we'll have some new Silent Hills soon, that's more my speed (though admittedly III got a bit too weapon-crazy, there's a proper balance between a character being too unarmed vs. giant maces and knives in her back pocket right next to the lipstick).

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 7:52 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
There's a new version?

The original reminded me of Ghost Recon but gave me an even bigger headache faster. Love survival horror but crawling on my belly just to start getting hit by an undead crackshot from a couple hundred feet away makes it all feel more cramped and frustrating than fun.

Hopefully we'll have some new Silent Hills soon, that's more my speed (though admittedly III got a bit too weapon-crazy, there's a proper balance between a character being too unarmed vs. giant maces and knives in her back pocket right next to the lipstick).

Lol from what I've heard they've fixed the issues with the range of gunmen. It's not as bad though as long as you're vigilant. I find that mostly it works, there's usually a way to get past them if you take the time to figure them out. There's only one scene I can remember where a Shibito has extremely long range, but the whole point of the level is to avoid the sniper so it works well.

I've always wanted to play a Silent Hill game.. are there any out for the PS3 at the moment? Or coming up soon?

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 2:10 pm

The_Perfect_Storm wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
There's a new version?

Lol from what I've heard they've fixed the issues with the range of gunmen. It's not as bad though as long as you're vigilant. I find that mostly it works, there's usually a way to get past them if you take the time to figure them out. There's only one scene I can remember where a Shibito has extremely long range, but the whole point of the level is to avoid the sniper so it works well.

I've always wanted to play a Silent Hill game.. are there any out for the PS3 at the moment? Or coming up soon?

There's Silent Hill Homecoming but I don't think it's a very good game for the series. Too much of the game was copied from the movies, the graphics are kind of terrible for today's generation of consoles, and it has many glitches that kind of ruin the experience.

There's another called Silent Hill Downpour which is coming out maybe in a couple of months, if you want to wait for that one or try the widely reviled Homecoming which is pretty easy to find now. It's up to you. :)

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 3:10 pm

GreySun369 wrote:
There's another called Silent Hill Downpour which is coming out maybe in a couple of months, if you want to wait for that one or try the widely reviled Homecoming which is pretty easy to find now. It's up to you. :)

Downpour just from what your saying sounds much better.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin