Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 11:53 am

imo, if you are patient, no.

video gaming is trickle-down marketing. the high prices of $60 per game or $300+ per console are for the most impatient gamers or the ones who have a lot of disposable income.

when a console comes out, i generally wait a year or maybe a year and a half, so i can get it cheaper. not only that, but it would have a good library of games by then, all of which i can get for cheaper.

if the console doesn't have a good library of games by a year, good thing i didn't waste my money on it.

there is nothing wrong with waiting 6 months for a game. if a game is really good, it shouldn't be irrelevent or any less good one year later.

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 12:12 pm

It really depends, in the UK, you can join a rental club and get the latest unlimited rentals for £10 a month so it's fairly cheap here. Many games drop in price quicker than expected, depending on the sales of the game as well, most games will be half price after a few months if they aren't in high demand or have low sales.

I have heard in Australia, games can cost up to $90 Australian Dollars which seems quite steep for one game.

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 12:22 pm

for games that are under 10 hours long and have little replay value, renting is good

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 12:25 pm

I'd rather pay $25,000 for another year's worth of education than spend another $30 for 60 days worth of World of Warcraft play.

The benefits of a good education far outweigh the enjoyment of a game.

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 12:50 pm

Early adopters get burned and will continue to do so. Love Film is the sensible option in the UK unless you're a hoarder, and niche deeper games like Demon's/Dark Souls drop in price pretty rapidly, thankfully. I'd prefer buying something like that and 'chipping away' at it over a few months. Buying Japanese imports is my only game weakness.

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 1:45 pm

Fnord wrote:
I'd rather pay $25,000 for another year's worth of education than spend another $30 for 60 days worth of World of Warcraft play.

The benefits of a good education far outweigh the enjoyment of a game.

you make a great point.

time is worth more than money.

CrazyStarlightRedux
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 2:35 pm

In the UK, games drop to low levels anyway, so we usually wait until the inevitable price drop.

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 2:36 pm

IS IT £17.99 YET M8?

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 2:59 pm

Being jobless, it is for me right now. Back when I had a job, I could spend whole paychecks on whatever I wanted since I'm still living with my parents anyway. Not sure how I'd feel about it if I was on my own. I figure they really cut it as close as they can, considering there's now stuff like DLC and other solely virtual media being sold that does not cost as much to distribute. Either way, people can put whatever price they want on unnecessary entertainment and it's up to the individual customer to decide whether it's worth the money.

That said, I'm not going to be supporting any company or developer that goes along with the idea that the used game market is evil.

While someone else is eating or opening a window or
just walking dully along...

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 3:01 pm

For now I'm gaming on a free MMO on my laptop.

Otherwise I have considered buying a PS2 for console gaming on the cheap.

CrazyStarlightRedux
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 4:20 pm

ZX SpectrumDisorder wrote:

IS IT £17.99 YET M8?

LOL, I obtained Shinobi on 3DS this way.

Boxman108 wrote:
Being jobless, it is for me right now. Back when I had a job, I could spend whole paychecks on whatever I wanted since I'm still living with my parents anyway. Not sure how I'd feel about it if I was on my own. I figure they really cut it as close as they can, considering there's now stuff like DLC and other solely virtual media being sold that does not cost as much to distribute. Either way, people can put whatever price they want on unnecessary entertainment and it's up to the individual customer to decide whether it's worth the money.

That said, I'm not going to be supporting any company or developer that goes along with the idea that the used game market is evil.

SEGA are your best bet then, they always reduce their games to the £20 sub price a month after release! They seem happy to do it too. Binary Domain (a game they released only 3 days ago), is ALREADY £26 on the 360 on Amazon!

They way they do it I think is the fans who'll buy their stuff day one pay the usual price and the people who are interested but unsure pay for the game as the price drops.

They seem to have this mindset correct unlike the rest of the developers anyway.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 5:25 pm

I usually wait until new things are old... unless I'm too excited to wait and spend all my freaking money. :(

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 5:32 pm

Sparx wrote:
I usually wait until new things are old... unless I'm too excited to wait and spend all my freaking money. :(

I learned my lesson. I used to buy games on day one to see what the hype was about, and then put them in the queue. Then when I eventually go around to playing it properly, it'd be less than half the price I paid.

IDontGetIt
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Feb 2012, 5:33 pm

I have the philosophy "Any game you haven't played is a new game". Buying a console at the end of it's sales life and then buying 20 games off the "best games" lists is one way. I'm still ploughing through my unplayed Xbox games (no, not the 360) :lol: And one day, don't know when but one day I'll start Shenmue. :lol:

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 5:38 pm

IDontGetIt wrote:
I have the philosophy "Any game you haven't played is a new game". Buying a console at the end of it's sales life and then buying 20 games off the "best games" lists is one way. I'm still ploughing through my unplayed Xbox games (no, not the 360) :lol: And one day, don't know when but one day I'll start Shenmue. :lol:

Totally. I loved that at the end of the last gen. I had an Xbox and GC, then picked up a PS2 just as PS3 came out and bought around 40 games for it. Stuff like Zone of The Enders, MGS3, Shadow of Rome, Yakuza and DMC3 etc. All for pennies, too!

joku_muko
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 6:41 pm

In correlation to hours spent per a dollar? No. As a whole? Yes.