Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Rax
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Feb 2012, 7:02 am

For any one who hasn't heard of it, the general idea is that you start a game of pokemon, change the settings to "set" instead of "switch" and if a pokemon faints, you must release it. (that pokemon now counts as dead) Also, you can only catch the first pokemon you meet in each area/cave, if it runs or faints, to bad. Finally you must nick name all pokemon you get, so you get an emotional attachment to them. (sadder when they die)

Any way, I want to know if any of you guys have done it to the end, or if you have some cool experiences with it. I think my childhood ended when my beloved turtwig, croy, got killed. I suddenly had no starter pokemon, with only a shinx (Nex) and zubat (venom) to help me get over croy's death, I was so close to winning the entire game when the elite four killed all my pokemon. I failed the nuzlocke. But I will do better next time.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 10:51 am

Hm, I've never tried this, it sounds interesting! (And I always nickname my pokemon XD)

The_Final_Boss
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Feb 2012, 11:08 am

I hardly play through all of a pokemon game as it is, haha. But this has interested me a bit.

What if:

1. You save before a certain fight? If your pokemon is released / killed, can you just reload and try again?

2. If you enter a cave, and the first pokemon faints .. what if you leave the cave and go straight back in?

Rax
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Feb 2012, 3:59 am

you could save before every fight, but that would make it a kinda hollow victory.

And if it faints, you leave and enter, you still can't catch anything.

The_Final_Boss

24 Feb 2012, 12:09 pm

I might do this sometime soon.

Although I have a feeling it might irritate me a lot so I probably wouldn't complete it :P

Rax
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Feb 2012, 9:39 pm

Most people can't handle it when a Pokemon they love dies and they just give up there and then.

Trigas
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 9:44 pm

Rax wrote:
For any one who hasn't heard of it, the general idea is that you start a game of pokemon, change the settings to "set" instead of "switch" and if a pokemon faints, you must release it. (that pokemon now counts as dead) Also, you can only catch the first pokemon you meet in each area/cave, if it runs or faints, to bad. Finally you must nick name all pokemon you get, so you get an emotional attachment to them. (sadder when they die)

Any way, I want to know if any of you guys have done it to the end, or if you have some cool experiences with it. I think my childhood ended when my beloved turtwig, croy, got killed. I suddenly had no starter pokemon, with only a shinx (Nex) and zubat (venom) to help me get over croy's death, I was so close to winning the entire game when the elite four killed all my pokemon. I failed the nuzlocke. But I will do better next time.

I've actually considered doing a playthrough and uploading it to youtube. :chin:
Sounds like it could be quite a challenge!
And I rarely ever use the starters... I find them quite boring.

Rax
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Feb 2012, 11:04 pm

people like starters because they are the most powerful pokemon available at an early level.

Trigas
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 11:08 pm

Rax wrote:
people like starters because they are the most powerful pokemon available at an early level.

Oh yea I'm not denying their usefulness I'm just giving my personal preference is all. But after the times I had with Chikorita in original Gold version, I was scarred for life trusting a grass starter. :lol:

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 12:43 am

Always liked the fire starters myself...well, in the first two gens anyway. Anything past that and I really don't know much about any of them. :P

That said, I've almost never used any other Pokemon than my starters except for specific battles or having to teach HMs. Never really needed to because my starters would always get overleveled. So I guess I doubt I'd be able to do this, but I guess it'd be worth a try.

While someone else is eating or opening a window or
just walking dully along...

Rax
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Feb 2012, 7:02 am

I always just pick the starter that I most relate to, but I found in my nuzlocke, Shinx works just like a starter if your lucky enough to meet one.

But even in my nuzlocke, the game that forces you to use the most pathetic of pokemon at times... I still didn't find a use for a bidoof other than as a HM-Slave. My Bidoof's nickname was 'Useless', and he lived up to his name... That was until I needed him to go out for 1 turn so I could heal my luxaray, he died, but I was still sad.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 10:38 pm

My boyfriend is trying this, I'm excited to hear about it!

HonestObserver
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Mar 2012, 1:25 am

I'll give it a shot. My Soul Silver and Black are basically unused. I think I could do another playthrough of Johto now. Feels fresh enough from 2 years ago.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 10:37 pm

My BF lost Queen, we're both mourning XD

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 4:30 am

Not my gig this. Ruins the entire point of the Pokemon games in my opinion.

You will reap what you've sown.

CrazyStarlightRedux
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 3:22 pm

I kept seeing this on Backloggery but assumed that this was a new pokemon....

I think this would be the most hardest challenge on Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow....ESPECIALLY with an overpowered Pikachu at the helm.

My advice would be to endlessly grind weak pokemon (the ones that don't faint your pokemon).