Page 217 of 275 [ 4399 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220 ... 275  Next

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2019, 6:07 pm

Oh, I should have been quick and said Pokémon Shield. Got it at the midnight release, played it for a few hours before going to sleep. So far, my one big complaint would be that I hate that exp share is on not only by default, but can't be turned off, it stops me from having to use everyone in my team, which makes me feel attached to them. Did manage to miss the leaks so I have had a few moments of coming across Pokémon I have never seen before.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 12:13 am

I got my Switch Lite Pokemon edition Friday a week ago and I love it! I'm switching between two games

Dragon Quest Builders

it's fun and addictive but boy was it a shock to not level up the usual way! The monsters gave me a lot of trouble, still do at times., although my copper sword helps.

Also not used to my equipment degrading. For a time my builder even lost most of his clothes 8O and I didn't have the materials needed to make new for him

Forager

so very fun to play, and very, very addictive. I love making more stuff, upgrading and buy new lands. I wanna see more of this!

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 10:39 pm

Butterfly Moment on Steam

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2019, 6:55 am

After the longest time playing compared to the rest of the series, I was able to 1cc Touhou 11 - Subterranean Animism. Having now managed it, I think it's probably the hardest game in the series by far, with the difficulty curve starting much higher from the first stage. Despite that, the last boss wasn't too hard... even having lost five lives during it, it was my first time facing her. But thematically, it was damn awesome. An epic fight against some bird girl with the power of nuclear fusion, whose projectiles are literal suns and whose last attack is akin to the death of the solar system.

Other than that, I've been working on trying to 1cc ZeroRanger. It's a brilliant shooter with awesome music and stage design, with tons of references to other games and anime. I'm not even close to getting a 1cc yet, having only been able to clear to stage 2-2 at most on one credit. It doesn't look like it's sold much, which is a shame because it's probably one of the best games I've played from last year's releases.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2019, 9:21 pm

Pokemon sword

Stardust_Dragonfly
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2019, 10:41 am

I'm really enjoying the Spyro reignited trilogy on Nintendo Switch at the moment :D

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2019, 10:49 am

sly279 wrote:
Pokemon sword

Me too!

I had gen 8 pre-ordered and they arrived Friday. I'm hooked, I haven't gotten very far yet though, because I explore everything! :lol: The wild area is amazing! And I love how much easier they have made it! No more going back to Pokemon centers to swap Pokemon, and you can change their names and have them remember moves at every Pokemon Center instead of just one person in the entire game. I'm relieved they kept the exp share.

I had my level 12 Sobble take out a level 26 Onix and my level 13 Galarian Zigzagoon fainted a level 31 Haunter, both in the wild area. Of course I was lucky that Haunter spammed ghost moves that didn't affect Zigzagoon, and also that Onix used screech a couple of times, but still, that was fun. A level 15 Growlithe almost took out my entire team though! :lol:

These games are every bit as awesome as I had hoped! :D

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2019, 7:11 pm

In Shield I had a bit of an impasse moment, found this game's Ralts, something cute and I would totally add it to my team, but in terms of psychic Pokémon I already have Meowstic, one of my favourites, and still planning on a specific psychic type. And it looked like most of Hatenna's moves are support, which is already covered by Alcremie, which I plan to keep using for however viable.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2019, 9:44 am

Many months of trying and failing paid off, and I beat the true last boss of Touhou 6 Embodiment of Scarlet Devil. I'm a little disappointed I came so close to capturing some difficult spellcards, like Maze of Love and Secret Barrage "And Then Will There Be None?", but it wasn't a bad run either, having finished with two remaining lives.

I also finished the true last boss of Touhou Fantastic Danmaku Festival today. It's a fan remake of sorts for Embodiment of Scarlet Devil that I bought back in March of this year. It's a freaking hard stage, and it took me about as many months to complete.

la_fenkis
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2019, 12:30 am

I'm playing The Beginner's Guide

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2019, 8:03 pm

Terraria

Stardust_Dragonfly
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2019, 2:07 pm

Civilization 6

charkie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Dec 2019, 8:58 pm

I've been playing Sekiro, I'm on NG+6 without Kuro's charm. Walking in on Lady Butterfly and killing her easily with relentless aggression feels really good when my first playthrough was a huge struggle. Still haven't managed to kill a (non-aquatic) Headless though, I hate those guys.

Also reading Umineko (up to the last episode of Questions Arc) and I hate it. There's so much of this interminable, repetitious text where characters rephrase the same thing over and over, pretentious meta commentary, meaningless subplots that interject with the actually interesting central mystery with increasing regularity to the point that by the fourth episode you get like ten minutes worth of actual story happening for every few hours of completely tangential scenes that you are led to believe are not real anyway. I'm going to at least finish this one but I'm never taking the internet's advice again.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2019, 2:10 am

charkie wrote:
I've been playing Sekiro, I'm on NG+6 without Kuro's charm. Walking in on Lady Butterfly and killing her easily with relentless aggression feels really good when my first playthrough was a huge struggle. Still haven't managed to kill a (non-aquatic) Headless though, I hate those guys.

I have been meaning to go back after I beat it the first time and got the return ending, I plan to go after the other endings. I planned to do so after was not as in the groove of I as was after beating Sword Saint Isshin, so it might be a bit of a growth after I pretty much beat everything, except the missable past battles and bad endings bosses, which are connected to the other endings. There is certainly a satisfaction with those sorts of games in dominating where you struggled before. Such that Genichiro can even be an obstacle at first, before just being an opening act

I would wonder how I would fair against Lady Butterfly when I play again, since she was the first major roadblock the first time I played, and taught me the value of being aggressive in the game of building up the meter to, later I got really good at technique for parrying, which would probably do a number on her multi-hit attack. Turning it into actually into a weak part of her attacks.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2019, 7:34 am

charkie wrote:
Also reading Umineko (up to the last episode of Questions Arc) and I hate it. There's so much of this interminable, repetitious text where characters rephrase the same thing over and over, pretentious meta commentary, meaningless subplots that interject with the actually interesting central mystery with increasing regularity to the point that by the fourth episode you get like ten minutes worth of actual story happening for every few hours of completely tangential scenes that you are led to believe are not real anyway. I'm going to at least finish this one but I'm never taking the internet's advice again.

I'm impressed that you read to the fourth arc if you didn't like it that much. That's a a lot of reading. As someone who loved Umineko, I'll be honest and don't think you'll find the rest that interesting if you haven't liked it so far. What you refer to as the subplot is really an integral part of the main plot that's interwoven with the central mystery both narratively and thematically. Episodes 5 & 6 by far have the most meta elements in the entire series and to me include some of its high points.

As a whole the structure of Umineko reminds me of the Charlie Kaufman film Adaptation, in that they're both about writing, and feel like explorations of an author's trials and tribulations. And they both use another story, in Umineko's case Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None, subverting conventions as a means to explore the mind of a writer. Both are absolutely self indulgent at times, showing more style than substance and leaving a reader confused as to what to make of its plot threads. It's its biggest flaw.

If you really just want to get the answers to the 'central mystery' then you could skip to Episode 7. This would get you the who, why and how you likely seek. But while satisfying in its own way, reading it in this manner would miss the point Umineko tries to make.

charkie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Dec 2019, 10:30 am

I was sort of hoping the end of the Question Arc might conclude to some extent on the murder mystery part and move on, but since that's not the case I'll just quit here.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that probably 3/4 of the text if not more could be removed without impinging on the story in any way. This isn't a translation issue because the translation is, if anything, literal to a fault. The guy needs an editor.

Episode 1 spends about 20 hours' worth of reading on developing characters and motives, which is apparently all a bait-and-switch for a story about little girls playing with their imaginary friends. I think it's supposed to be working towards some trite point about how like, all fiction is just a fantasy, yeah? Which would be fine if it stayed at the 'unreliable narrator' stage, I don't mind that part at all, I don't mind Battler's game with the witch, but everything beyond that is miserable.

I really do not get Umineko's popularity at all. I'm struggling and obviously I really wanted to like it else I wouldn't have read it for eighty hours, but I can't understand at all.

Edit: the most frustrating thing is that the writer clearly demonstrates the capability to write a good mystery, and there are just enough interesting, thoughtful elements there that hint at something great, so the fact it's all a bait-and-switch is especially egregious. I've spoiled myself on the culprit now anyway. And a little of the final episode which honestly sounds so stupid that I cannot believe it.