Page 203 of 276 [ 4406 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206 ... 276  Next

Nist498
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2019, 1:28 pm

I've had a taste for survival games as of late so Green Hell, The Forest, and Empyrion. I've also been playing Planet Centauri which is a neat little Terraria like build and adventure game.

All magic comes with a price! - Rumplestiltskin

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2019, 3:45 pm

Plague Inc Evolved on PC

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2019, 4:48 pm

Nist498 wrote:
I've had a taste for survival games as of late so Green Hell, The Forest, and Empyrion. I've also been playing Planet Centauri which is a neat little Terraria like build and adventure game.

Love Empyrion, but last time installed it, so much had changed that i felt like a newb again. Love how you start off as a refugee from a crashed starship to eventually building your own ship and going around colonizing planets.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2019, 6:19 am

I have picked up where I left off with Higurashi When They Cry. I've gone through the third, fourth and fifth chapters in the last week. I really found aspects of the first two chapters slow, but it seems I've hit a point where I can't put it down. Really wasn't expecting to like a horror visual novel as much as this.

I just hope the last chapters get localised soon. There's plenty of book series I've only read half of because by the time the sequels came around I'd forgotten the content of the previous books.

Nist498
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2019, 5:46 pm

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
I have picked up where I left off with Higurashi When They Cry. I've gone through the third, fourth and fifth chapters in the last week. I really found aspects of the first two chapters slow, but it seems I've hit a point where I can't put it down. Really wasn't expecting to like a horror visual novel as much as this.

I just hope the last chapters get localised soon. There's plenty of book series I've only read half of because by the time the sequels came around I'd forgotten the content of the previous books.

Well you're starting to get into the answer arcs so that kind of makes sense. Things are finally starting to come together. I'm pretty sure they'll have the massacre and festival arcs eventually and they should definitely be worth it!

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2019, 7:52 am

Nist498 wrote:
Well you're starting to get into the answer arcs so that kind of makes sense. Things are finally starting to come together. I'm pretty sure they'll have the massacre and festival arcs eventually and they should definitely be worth it!

I thought the slice of life elements at the start of the first three chapters were misguided and not well done. Really kills the pacing when you go from the end of one chapter to the start of the next where nothing really happens. Plus the characters aren't fleshed out enough to maintain interest in them, at least not until their specific dramatic arc.

From what I've read the author Ryukishi07 was inspired by Jun Maeda's style with juxtaposing light hearted first acts before delving into the drama, but he doesn't pull it off as well and it stands out as more dissonant than in Maeda's writing.

The fourth and fifth chapters have skipped all the fluff at the start though, so it's definitely better paced. I'm two thirds of the way through chapter five and I've just thought of a theory that explains a lot of the stuff.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2019, 11:55 am

Doom II, Good Morning Phobos

https://www.doomworld.com/files/file/18 ... ng-phobos/

Looks like potentially one of the most interesting and enjoyable Doom 2 megawads I've played. Not very happy about an obscure progression in level 3, requiring a not very obvious strafe run.

mawilegirl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jan 2019, 6:52 pm

Stardew Valley

Level 2 ASD diagnosed

Nist498
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2019, 7:54 pm

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:

I thought the slice of life elements at the start of the first three chapters were misguided and not well done. Really kills the pacing when you go from the end of one chapter to the start of the next where nothing really happens. Plus the characters aren't fleshed out enough to maintain interest in them, at least not until their specific dramatic arc.

From what I've read the author Ryukishi07 was inspired by Jun Maeda's style with juxtaposing light hearted first acts before delving into the drama, but he doesn't pull it off as well and it stands out as more dissonant than in Maeda's writing.

The fourth and fifth chapters have skipped all the fluff at the start though, so it's definitely better paced. I'm two thirds of the way through chapter five and I've just thought of a theory that explains a lot of the stuff.

Yeah I can understand that though I do see why the author did that as well. Everything that doesn't look connected actually is after all but they could have done a better job at hinting at that. Umineko did do things slightly better though.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2019, 5:48 pm

Dusk, a first person shooter set in rural America where demonic cults have taken over. If you love Quake, you'll love this.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2019, 9:50 am

Toontown Rewritten

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 6:24 pm

Factorio.

Holy porkbutts. This isnt a mere game. No sir. This is a full-on addiction waiting to happen. I havent encountered something on this level since Minecraft first released. Dwarf Fortress also counts.

If you havent seen/played this, the goal of the game is to escape this planet by building a rocket and launching a satellite to call for help. But a rocket isnt something you can just craft. Factorio is about automation, building entire factories and production lines. BIG factories. The one in the screenshot is "small". Early-game stuff here. Yet it's already a hideous tangle of assemblers, conveyor belts, smelters, mining arrays... and so on. In this playthrough, I've recently researched the stuff necessary to create trains and related things (well, SOME related things). The map is utterly enormous, and it's not exactly practical to line up ridiculously long conveyors that could develop screwy problems. Dont have time to be fixing up a mile-long conveyor every time something breaks a tiny section of it. I've also hit the point finally where angry alien creatures are starting their assaults. Weak things now but eventually they'll be huge and extremely numerous. I have turrets, and got mass ammo production started, but I havent set up automatic refilling of that ammo for the turrets. And they're only the most basic turrets anyway. My next goal is to get an oil refinery going, which is quite the process. Have to do that in an area far south of the main factory. Time to branch out, should get interesting.

Really though... what a game. It's the 2nd highest rated game on Steam, with only Portal 2 outclassing it. That is one hell of an incredible achievement. After alot of time with it I can see why it got there.

sleepyestes
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jan 2019, 7:23 pm

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
stuff about DQ11

DQ11 is one of those games that, in retrospect, I can barely remember playing and I can't for the life of me figure out the appeal of this series. I'm not going to get into the mechanics much, but the main problems imo are:

- the game is easy until the very last optional content
- the battle system isn't complex enough
- battles are way too slow (this is a problem with most JRPGs that aren't Shin Megami Tensei)
- there's no interesting tension or dynamic between the characters at any point in the game and the characters are extremely bland to begin with (except Sylv whose shtick is not bland but simply intolerable)

That last one is the worst in my opinion. I felt like characters were, outside of a few scenes, simply not interacting at all but rather delivering overlapping monologues. I couldn't care less about them or anything that happens in the (also bad) story. The game felt like a quest to tick all the boxes and do all of the things and I'm tired of that! I played Ni no Kuni 2 earlier last year and honestly they both left the same taste in my mouth. The only good JRPG last year was Valkyria Chronicles 4 and that barely counts as one.

Anyway, I've been playing Resident Evil 2 (2019) and it's great. In particular I love the police station layout and how much the game feels like classic Resi. After 7 - honest to god the worst numbered game in the series in my opinion - I couldn't have had lower hopes but this game feels like a successful sequel to the first remake game, it learned all the right lessons and did pretty much everything as well as possible wrt implementing that gameplay style in the new camera/control scheme. In fact if this whole game was consistent in quality with the police station it would be an instant classic but it suffers from the same drop-off in level design as the original, which is a shame because they completely redesigned the later areas and could well have opted for a more open design. Also there are some awful boss fights in the latter half and the sections where you play as Ada/Sherry aren't great.

I've played Leon A/Claire B and I've just started the inverse on hardcore mode. They weren't kidding with this difficulty. I'm not sure this will be fun.

Nist498
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 8:59 pm

Misery wrote:

Factorio.

Holy porkbutts. This isnt a mere game. No sir. This is a full-on addiction waiting to happen. I havent encountered something on this level since Minecraft first released. Dwarf Fortress also counts.

If you havent seen/played this, the goal of the game is to escape this planet by building a rocket and launching a satellite to call for help. But a rocket isnt something you can just craft. Factorio is about automation, building entire factories and production lines. BIG factories. The one in the screenshot is "small". Early-game stuff here. Yet it's already a hideous tangle of assemblers, conveyor belts, smelters, mining arrays... and so on. In this playthrough, I've recently researched the stuff necessary to create trains and related things (well, SOME related things). The map is utterly enormous, and it's not exactly practical to line up ridiculously long conveyors that could develop screwy problems. Dont have time to be fixing up a mile-long conveyor every time something breaks a tiny section of it. I've also hit the point finally where angry alien creatures are starting their assaults. Weak things now but eventually they'll be huge and extremely numerous. I have turrets, and got mass ammo production started, but I havent set up automatic refilling of that ammo for the turrets. And they're only the most basic turrets anyway. My next goal is to get an oil refinery going, which is quite the process. Have to do that in an area far south of the main factory. Time to branch out, should get interesting.

Really though... what a game. It's the 2nd highest rated game on Steam, with only Portal 2 outclassing it. That is one hell of an incredible achievement. After alot of time with it I can see why it got there.

Yeah Factorio is a micro manager's wet dream come true. There's so much from a logistical perspective to deal with and the game gives you all of the tools you need to meet those extreme demands. It also has multiplayer which makes the game even more fun.

sarwan52452
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jan 2019, 9:07 pm

I am playing Asphalt 8 Air Borne and This is my favourite game.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 9:18 pm

Currently alternating between Bomberman Tournament and AC New Leaf, just started up a new town.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765