Has anyone tried to make their own video games?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 6:28 am

If you do, this is the thread to share information and/or demo's (or full versions) of them if you wish.

I'm currently working on a 2D platformer project that I showed you earlier.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 7:05 am

Only with RPG Maker many years ago (probably a good 12 years ago now!)
Good luck with your project :)

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 9:04 am

I made a game in my Computer Science degree years ago. It's s**t, I did it in Visual Studio 05.
It was called Whitney Houston and Bubs from The Wire's Quest For Crack. Got a distinction for it though.

Last edited by ZX_SpectrumDisorder on 15 May 2012, 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 9:25 am

I've had a lot of ideas. Of course, only one ever actually came to fruition. :P It was called Super Mario Lol and was made with Game Maker v5. Since I wasn't good at making platformers back then(well, I'm still not great but I have made a sort of pseudo-Metroid engine once), I used someone else's freely distributed engine. It played like Super Mario World, though lacking in a lot of things such as power-ups or coins or enemies. So I ended up making a lot of things and having to code at least a little bit. All my own sprites, level designs, tiles, backgrounds, and imported music from some Mario games. Unfortunately searching the Game Maker forums has brought up absolutely nothing so I guess they must have deleted it by now. Would know for sure if I could remember the name of my old account.

Since then I've been more interested in making Zelda fan games or games that are based around the core gameplay. Either those or RPGs. Have had an idea more recently for a point and click game that somehow would incorporate RPG elements, only based a bit off of Amnesia: The dark descent, having never played it myself. Not sure how fun or interesting I could make it, though.

While someone else is eating or opening a window or
just walking dully along...

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 9:44 am

ZX_SpectrumDisorder wrote:
I made a game in my Computer Science degree years ago. It's sh**, I did in Visual Studio 05.
It was called Whitney Houston and Bubs from The Wire's Quest For Crack. Got a distinction for it though.

Must have been for the name.

Personally I do have some sort of project of a 2D Space Shooter... like Gradius but on SNES or GBA... something like that.

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 2:20 pm

Not just "tried", but "succeeded".

Though so far, technically, I've only worked on one published game.

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 2:26 pm

PM Shrox.

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 6:10 pm

I (barely) have the skills to make a game, but I haven't worked on any game projects in a long time due to lack of inspiration. I can't think of any good stories or original gameplay concepts. I've done a bit of work on some games in the past, mostly 3D art and from-scratch textures.

circular
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 May 2012, 6:35 pm

I've made a free software called LazPaint. But it's not a videogame, it's a painting program.

mglosenger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 May 2012, 7:21 pm

I made a Gauntlet clone.

The key thing for me was to realize that computers are really fast (in their own special way) and so you can do a lot of stuff in basically 0 time. Once you (I) realize that, there are infinite possibilities.

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 11:01 pm

I've made a couple very simple games using old school BASIC which consisted of a version of Yahtzee, black jack, hangman and a few others. They were mostly only text based except for Yahtzee. For the simple card game I know as "War" I just used the keyboard symbols to draw simple versions of the cards.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 2:18 am

I recently got the software, but I haven't made anything yet--more a lack of ideas than a lack of motivation/competency. : |

Dennis
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 May 2012, 3:06 pm

I have an Associate's in Simulation & Gaming. I've tried some but I'm pretty unmotivated by myself doing it for nothing.

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 4:14 pm

I don't know why Shrox isn't posting here. He was involved an a pretty innovative online Dreamcast game for Sega back in the day before they went s**t. I'm not sure how successful the game was, but the ideas were on the money. Most of the stuff in the game he was involved in have gone on to shape some of the online games we see today. I think the game was a little ahead of its time and the Internet infrastructure of the time.

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 7:58 pm

I made a Texas Hold'Em poker game in C#/.NET that came out pretty well, but that's about as far as I got.

I did make a tile-based 2D graphics engine in C++ w/DirectX a long time ago but never really did anything with it. Started making a level editor, then got bored of it.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 10:56 pm

I made two games with game maker. Also I am trying to figure out Allegro 5, which kind of has spotty documentation for C. I attempted to make a ping clone. I got as far as the paddles moving back and forth, buth as far as making goals never happened.