Does anybody know how to set up a sega megadrive?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

billypony
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 May 2012, 7:32 am

If anyone can give me instructions on how to set it up I will love you forever! I am so desparate to play on it again but I can't remember how to set it up as I was quite young. I remember it took ages though, and you had to tune it in. I really hope nobody tells me you can't set them up anymore after the digital switch over. That had crossed my mind, I hope that's just me being stupid.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 8:32 am

Hi :)

I can help you with this.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SETTING UP YOUR SEGA MEGA DRIVE 8)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Step 1: Power lead. Goes in the tiny jack hole. And obviously to the plug socket on the wall.
Step 2: TV lead. I'm assuming you have an old aerial lead (RF cable). Go to Channel 36 on your regular channels. Autotune the picture while the machine is on (make sure you have a game in it) and when you see the game set the picture.
Step 3: Controllers in the front 2 ports. Controller 1 needs to be on the left port.

SOME USEFUL INFORMATION FOR COLLECTORS :o
*There are no memory cards. Instead you save your game progress on the cartridges themselves. Save slots usually vary from 1-3, or you have to write down passwords.
*To run imports you will need an adapter cart or Action Replay. eBay is your best bet for these. Feel free to ask import questions here.
*If you are looking to get a SEGA CD attachment make sure you get the right one. Mega CD 1 works with the original Mega Drive, Mega CD 2 works with Mega Drive II.
*All other accessories on the other hand are universal (original / newer joypads, arcade sticks, cartridges, adapter carts etc.).
*Accessories that might interest you are a Master System adapter (so no need to buy Master System!), Action Replay, Game Genie, Gold adapter cart (for imports), Sega 32X (has own set of 3D games!), multitap (for Bomberman).
*RF cable run at lower quality and in PAL 50. You can modify a Mega Drive to run at PAL 60 but are just better off paying a few pounds and getting an AV / RCA / SCART cable from eBay.

Hope this helps!

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 8:39 am

Say Jack Hole again.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 8:44 am

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 8:49 am

oooh

billypony

15 May 2012, 1:01 pm

Thanks!

Step 2 though, what exactly is an old arial lead? where does it go and what does it look like? How do I autotune the picture? :)

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 1:07 pm

It's an RF cable. They were standard with Megadrives. Once connected, set your TV to auto tune and should pick it up. I can't remember if the end is a male or female connection, but it should be circular and about a 2cm(ish) in diameter.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 2:22 pm

Don't use RF, it looks terrible.

You guys have composite cables in the UK, right?

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 2:26 pm

I don't think Megadrives had SCART adapters, or something?

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 3:33 pm

There are unofficial S-Video and RCA / AV (similar to the ones in that picture) and SCART connectors you can get on eBay. Be careful though as Mega Drive 1 and 2 have different connections for TV leads on the console so you will need to get the right lead..forgot to say that's the one other accessory that's not universal!

The RF lead has a bit that has a few tiny pins (this goes into the Mega Drive) and the other end looks like a male aerial connector like you would get on any attachable aerial for a TV. So that will go into where an aerial normally would. And yes, that's when you go to normal channel 36 and begin auto tuning.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 3:41 pm

I miss working at Sega.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 11:24 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Don't use RF, it looks terrible.

You guys have composite cables in the UK, right?

Because of the low resolution and the lack of color depth of old consoles, RF cables is not such a bad idea.

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 7:29 am

Not many UK CRT TVs are composite capable. I'm assuming the OP's using a CRT otherwise he/she's in for a horrible experience.