Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 11:57 am

I've played all the Pokemon games except for this 5th Gen crap.
Chrono MUTHF'n TRIGGAAAA!! !! !! !! !! !! !!
Currently doing FF7 and Vagrant Story
Done KH 1.
Mana series
Dark Cloud
Star Ocean 3...
uh...FF3 and 13.
Have Fallout but haven't played.

Played and nearly finished all these games but either lost,broke them, or returned to library.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 12:25 pm

Final Fantasy V,VI and IX
Grandia

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 12:27 pm

Mario RPG series(Paper Mario)
Tales series

You didn't mention a game from either of these RPG series. The guy above ignored that you mentioned the Final Fantasy series for some reason.

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 1:00 pm

Is that your list of rpgs you've played? Why don't you like 5th gen? Its pretty great.

You could try..

Shin Megami Tensei - this covers a wide range of (mostly) quality rpgs, including persona, devil survivor (great srpg series!), digital devil saga..etc. So many games here on a ton of platforms.

King's field/Souls series - Demon Souls and Dark Souls. Two of the best rpgs we've had in years. Its a sequel to the psx/ps2 series of first person dungeon rompers called King's Field. You may or may not like the latter, its an acquired taste and very hard, moreso than either Demon or Dark Souls.

If you have a ps3 you NEED to own both Souls games.

Breath of Fire - Jrpg where you turn into a dragon. Fairly standard stuff, 1 is pretty terrible even for an snes rpg, I loved 2, 3 is alright, 4 is decent too and Dragon Quarter is very love or hate. I haven't tried it, probably won't.

Soul Blazer series - includes Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma (only played this but it was awesome).

Shining Force - strategy rpgs but the first two on the megadrive are classics, 2 is one of my favorite strategy games of all time!

Fire Emblem - Lots of games here that include fan translated roms of the snes games that never arrived outside of Japan and a multitude of loved handheld games and console titles for the gamecube and wii.

Xenogears- my favorite jrpg of all time, never got into Xenosaga but most people say to just jump to episode 3 and skip 2.

Parasite Eve - The first two games are like if Resident Evil had an amorous fling with a jrpg, less so in 2 which is more like a survival horror game. i like these games more than shadow hearts, the -other- horror themed rpg series. the psp sequel, third birthday, is fan service garbage that's nothing like the first two games.

Last edited by NeueZiel on 18 Jun 2012, 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 1:13 pm

Venger wrote:
The guy above ignored that you mentioned the Final Fantasy series for some reason.

He didn't mention those I mentioned

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 1:30 pm

muslimmetalhead wrote:
Have Fallout but haven't played.

WHY NOT?? :evil:

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 1:37 pm

No one mentinoed elder scrolls?
Monster quest series has some good ones

Dark cloud is awesome. First one has a great story, otherwise the second one is much better

Beppieiscool
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jun 2012, 1:53 pm

Not the most well know RPG series is Mardek. Very good story line with similarities to Final Fantasy. It is an online game.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 2:44 pm

Delphiki wrote:
Dark cloud is awesome. First one has a great story, otherwise the second one is much better

I never played either Dark Cloud game for PS2. Sony should hopefully release a PS3 collection of them like they have five other times.

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jun 2012, 6:22 pm

The best of all the final fantasy games... Final Fantasy 7! Such a great story line. I get sucked into the game and fall in love with the characters!

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 6:37 pm

Venger wrote:
Delphiki wrote:

I never played either Dark Cloud game for PS2. Sony should hopefully release a PS3 collection of them like they have five other times.
First one has a LOT of level grinding. Second one does too but in a way that is not near as bother some. First game has (I think) 6 characters in all and each has a weapon health bar, and water bar (how long before you need to leave the dungeon, you can bring gords to replenish it). There were 6 different elemental attacks that could be activated on a weapon. Some enemies are only weak to fire, so unless you are going to go into the menu and switch it every time it can be annoying. The second game has it where all elements are active at once. You only have 2 characters, each has a long range and short range weapon. With the photography if you have to take a picture of a boss that is the only time to do it so it is not an option to come back later, it is just a missed opportunity. And monster transformation takes to long to level up to be worth it. Besides those to things to look out for they are really good (and you will want to save before the ending). Will your ps3 not play ps2 games? I know some versions don't.

There are a lot of different mini games. Photography, fishing, breeding fish, building towns and some others. You can create weapons and other items out of what is in your inventory, an experimentation type thing. I haven't played this game in over 8 years so... here's a link-
http://www.gamespot.com/dark-cloud-2/re ... 13/?page=1

You do not miss out on anything if you only play the second one, story wise or any other way.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 7:03 pm

Delphiki wrote:
Will your ps3 not play ps2 games? I know some versions don't.

My 80GB PS3 is backwards compatible with PS1/PS2 discs although a collection would be great with trophies and HD support.

Pyrite
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 7:05 pm

PS1: Star Ocean 2 (SO: Second Story) is better than 3 IMO. The ending to 3 was just awful.
-It's not a conventionally RPG, but I also really enjoyed Chocobo's Dungeon 2 (it's a very lighthearted game)

SNES: the Lufia games aren't bad, especially the second one (which also has really great music).

PS2: If you like SRPGs I liked Makai Kingdom and Disgaea (haven't played the sequel though). For the most part the former is more fun.

I'm assuming that by FF3 the OP meant FF6 since no other NES or Japanese games are mentioned. Although FF7 is overrated, it is still good enough to be well worth playing (unless you really want a challenge).

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 7:07 pm

Pyrite wrote:
PS1: Star Ocean 2 (SO: Second Story) is better than 3 IMO. The ending to 3 was just awful.
-It's not a conventionally RPG, but I also really enjoyed Chocobo's Dungeon 2 (it's a very lighthearted game)

SNES: the Lufia games aren't bad, especially the second one (which also has really great music).

PS2: If you like SRPGs I liked Makai Kingdom and Disgaea (haven't played the sequel though). For the most part the former is more fun.

I'm assuming that by FF3 the OP meant FF6 since no other NES or Japanese games are mentioned. Although FF7 is overrated, it is still good enough to be well worth playing (unless you really want a challenge).

No, I meant FF3 for the DS.

Pyrite
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 8:02 pm

muslimmetalhead wrote:
Pyrite wrote:

Oh!, then you should definitely play FF6. Preferably on SNES or emulator (but then I'm something of a purist)
No, I meant FF3 for the DS.

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 8:21 pm

Yes, FF3 DS is really ehh..you need to play FF3/6 on an snes emulator. Its up there with Chrono Trigger, I like CT a wee bit more. If you have a psp and like strategy games you should really check Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, very amazing game.