Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

22 Aug 2012, 7:59 am

I know; since I was a child some 15 years ago, I have been hooked on retro gaming. You know, stuff like Atari 2600, the NES, and the SNES; that stuff.

Lemme ask y'all this: Who likes this stuff? I play them periodically, they take me back to a more happier time in my life, and when games were being played for the FUN of it. It was pure fun in those days......

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 9:15 am

To be honest I didn't grow up around the era of what is now known as Retro but going back like 6 years would be when I did like Retro.
I personally think Gaming has got too competitive when online was introduced and not so much about the fun factor now... it's all "Ha, I pwned you noob!" and all sorts and kinds of vulgar comments.
It's not the online part I hate, it's some of the people behind it.

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

CrystalStars
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 9:17 am

No retro gaming for me.

younginflavor18
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Aug 2012, 11:27 am

I love retro gaming because I grew up around that era such as the NES, N64, SNES, Sega Genesis and so on. What is also ironic that I breezed through the games that I couldn't beat when I was little such as playing Super Mario World for example.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 11:31 am

Retro games from the NES/SNES/N64 are one of the best things about the Nintendo Wii.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 4:08 pm

MAME for all my 80's arcade favorites - no quarters!

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 5:40 pm

I'm a huge retro game fanatic and always play old games with new hardware! My Kindle Fire (which I'm typing on at the moment) has been rooted and flashed with a custom ROM has 2 dozen emulators on it ranging from the Atari 2600 (aka VCS) up to the N64. I still have an original working VCS as well as the newer Atari Flashback 2. I wish I had more technical electronic knowledge because the Flashback 2 motherboard has the pin layout inside to allow connection of a cartridge port. That would allow one to play original cartridges through the system. Oh well, I have Atari emus on my tablet, laptop, cellphone and Nintendo DS :)

I also love to revisit old PC games and that can be done via the DOS emulator DOSBox which has been ported to almost everything lol. The release of Dragon's Lair from the Android Market is pretty decent also.

NowhereMan1966
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Aug 2012, 7:20 pm

I remember starting off on pinball machines and Pong. I enjoy the old school games that I had on my Apple ][ like Wizardry, Ultima series and Wasteland. I'm also a Playstation 1 junky, I like Final Fantasy VII and VIII.

japan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Aug 2012, 11:03 pm

Love the original zelda for the NES and doki doki panic for the famicom disc system!

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 2:58 am

PastFixations wrote:
I personally think Gaming has got too competitive when online was introduced and not so much about the fun factor now... it's all "Ha, I pwned you noob!" and all sorts and kinds of vulgar comments.

Well said. I enjoy playing Uncharted 3 online once or twice a week with some friends, and do it for the fun, and the social aspect. I've always thought the point of multiplayer was to have fun with other people. Not only does online matchmaking by oneself lack the whole social aspect, but it's like no one plays these games to have a good time, which baffles me. It seems to be all about a kill/death ratio, or in some cases, a win/loss ratio. But the biggest mystery is why. If playing a game isn't about having a good time, or at least entertaining oneself, then why bother doing it? I don't do online matchmaking by myself, but I might in a party with my circle of friends. I never did get into competitive gaming for the sake of being competitive though. With Uncharted 3, I don't care if I win, lose, die a lot, get lots of kills, place well, or are in last place, as long as I'm having a good time. I do like to try to improve over time, but it's not like I lose sleep over it.

To be honest though, the majority of the time, I prefer to stick to singleplayer gaming. I enjoy a good variety of games, but I prefer my games to have more substance to them than shooting, shooting and more shooting. I enjoy retro games because there was a time when games had a certain magic to them. That's not to say that no modern games have that magic, but those games are exceptions now, not the rule. It's like most modern devs are on a mission to suck the magic out of gaming, and I just can't support that notion. I am thankful for the few releases that still contain that magic, because they manage to give me some hope for the industry. In all due honesty though, it seems highly likely that my cut-off is coming up within the next 5 years, and I'll more or less stop keeping up with modern gaming altogether, unless I feel the need to keep up with my favorite series, if they're not dead, or worse at that point.

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 6:42 am

Tross wrote:
PastFixations wrote:

Well said. I enjoy playing Uncharted 3 online once or twice a week with some friends, and do it for the fun, and the social aspect. I've always thought the point of multiplayer was to have fun with other people. Not only does online matchmaking by oneself lack the whole social aspect, but it's like no one plays these games to have a good time, which baffles me. It seems to be all about a kill/death ratio, or in some cases, a win/loss ratio. But the biggest mystery is why. If playing a game isn't about having a good time, or at least entertaining oneself, then why bother doing it? I don't do online matchmaking by myself, but I might in a party with my circle of friends. I never did get into competitive gaming for the sake of being competitive though. With Uncharted 3, I don't care if I win, lose, die a lot, get lots of kills, place well, or are in last place, as long as I'm having a good time. I do like to try to improve over time, but it's not like I lose sleep over it.

To be honest though, the majority of the time, I prefer to stick to singleplayer gaming. I enjoy a good variety of games, but I prefer my games to have more substance to them than shooting, shooting and more shooting. I enjoy retro games because there was a time when games had a certain magic to them. That's not to say that no modern games have that magic, but those games are exceptions now, not the rule. It's like most modern devs are on a mission to suck the magic out of gaming, and I just can't support that notion. I am thankful for the few releases that still contain that magic, because they manage to give me some hope for the industry. In all due honesty though, it seems highly likely that my cut-off is coming up within the next 5 years, and I'll more or less stop keeping up with modern gaming altogether, unless I feel the need to keep up with my favorite series, if they're not dead, or worse at that point.

Isn't the nature of being competitive a major aspect in gaming?

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 11:50 am

l still play many MS DOS games. :)

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 11:52 am

^ Somewhat true, however... some just take it too far and take the fun out of the experience.

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

Belial
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Aug 2012, 3:35 pm

CrystalStars wrote:
No retro gaming for me.

Sorry you're missing out on the best games ever :P

I grew with a dos computer and genesis, then an snes. Origin(the company, not EA's sh***y steam knockoff) and Micropose were so frickin awesome, oh my god. I really enjoyed the square snes games but I wouldn't get to enjoy a lot of classic snes and gen games until the days of emulation. Why? Games were just so expensive back in the early 90s, rentals were all the rage and buying any game was a huge deal. I played Doom and Heretic's Shareware versions for a good year until I finally brought the Ultimate Doom Pack. My first console rpg I played myself was Phantasy Star 4 and I believe it cost 100$ 8O, Chrono Trigger was pretty expensive too, don't recall the exact price.

Last edited by Belial on 23 Aug 2012, 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 3:44 pm

Belial wrote:
CrystalStars wrote:
No retro gaming for me.

I grew with a dos computer and genesis, then an snes. Origin(the company, not EA's sh***y steam knockoff) and Micropose were so frickin awesome, oh my god. I really enjoyed the square snes games but I wouldn't get to enjoy a lot of classic snes and gen games until the days of emulation. Why? Games were just so expensive back in the early 90s, rentals were all the rage and buying any game was a huge deal. I played Doom and Heretic's Shareware versions for a good year until I finally brought the Ultimate Doom Pack. Another great oldschool shooter that's criminally underrated is Blood, LOVED that game. I don't know if psx counts as oldschool but I really loved quite a few games on it, like FF7, Suikoden 1+2, and Valkyrie Profile.

I remember back when demo versions gave you a whole episode instead of just one level or 20 minutes of playing like they do today. Those were the days. :P

Belial
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Aug 2012, 3:52 pm

Kurgan wrote:
Belial wrote:
CrystalStars wrote:
No retro gaming for me.

I grew with a dos computer and genesis, then an snes. Origin(the company, not EA's sh***y steam knockoff) and Micropose were so frickin awesome, oh my god. I really enjoyed the square snes games but I wouldn't get to enjoy a lot of classic snes and gen games until the days of emulation. Why? Games were just so expensive back in the early 90s, rentals were all the rage and buying any game was a huge deal. I played Doom and Heretic's Shareware versions for a good year until I finally brought the Ultimate Doom Pack. Another great oldschool shooter that's criminally underrated is Blood, LOVED that game. I don't know if psx counts as oldschool but I really loved quite a few games on it, like FF7, Suikoden 1+2, and Valkyrie Profile.

I remember back when demo versions gave you a whole episode instead of just one level or 20 minutes of playing like they do today. Those were the days. :P

I remember our psx we got on Christmas day came with a demo cd that had TONS of games on it, like Tekken 2, Crash Bandicoot etc. First games we owned for it were Myst and Alien Trilogy, the latter was a rather derivative but fun Doom-clone styled shooter with really neat music set in the universe of the first 3 Alien movies.

We were wowed by the graphics of games like Myst, but I never fully embraced the blocky 3d that came to be used in a lot of 1st generation psx games. Metal Gear Solid and Vagrant Story were the first full 3d psx games that actually looked -good- to me, and Chrono Cross.