Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2012, 8:58 am

Why do people decide that they can't play video games anymore because they're an adult now?

I'm not talking about priorities either. I'm talking about them just flat out not playing anymore because they're an adult . If you have time to play and you enjoy gaming play your heart out!! !!

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

pat_can
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Oct 2012, 9:01 am

I still play video game and I'm an adult (35). I don't care about what others think.

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2012, 9:09 am

There are a few series I've decided to quit, such as Sonic or Call of Duty, but for completely different reasons. So yeah, I can't really understand why anyone would stop playing a game for that reason. Sure I like "mature" games, but others like Zelda or Kirby or Pokemon are still just as great.

While someone else is eating or opening a window or
just walking dully along...

sacrip
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2012, 9:33 am

I haven't given up ALL video games, of course, but certain types, like MMO's or Mafia Wars/Farmville type games I'll never play again. At some point, I just realized that, for me, playing a game that doesn't test my skill or have a definite end to work towards just isn't for me. I don't know if I'd call it growing up, but it was a change in thinking from where I was. Pencil and paper RPG's are still something I'd enjoy, though, if I could just find a good group.

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2012, 9:06 pm

I'm 29 years old and play just as many video games as I did when I was 10! I'm still playing many of the same games like old NES, Atari 2600, SNES, GB and Sega Genesis. Whoever says anything to me about it can go eff themselves lol

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2012, 3:06 am

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
Why do people decide that they can't play video games anymore because they're an adult now?

I'm not talking about priorities either. I'm talking about them just flat out not playing anymore because they're an adult . If you have time to play and you enjoy gaming play your heart out!! !!

People who say that are not doing it out of maturity. Odds are, they recently entered into young adulthood, and are anywhere from a recent high school graduate, to someone who recently hit their 20s, so they're still maturing. A mature adult isn't concerned about validating his or her adulthood, since he or she already knows that he or she is an adult, and that nothing will change that fact. A person who feels the need to discard a hobby of theirs likely has insecurities, and is probably afraid of being judged by others. What's ironic is that such a statement is in fact judgmental, and almost condescending, since it basically means that they think that playing videogames is a sign that someone is not truly mature, even though they couldn't be further from the truth. Also, the odds are that they either never really thought of gaming as more than entertainment, or they have recently fallen out of love with their hobby, not due to maturity, but due to other, legit reasons. The latter is highly possible, due to a number of factors, not the least of which is the number of changes videogames have experienced in the past gen. The 7th gen almost pushed me away, and I've always been a dedicated gamer. Not everyone can identify that that's the problem though.

The notion that adults don't play videogames is completely false. If it was true, the market wouldn't be flooded with M rated titles, and though I have my reservations regarding the thought processes of modern devs, their understanding of current market trends is not something I could dispute. Given that I accept that as their area of expertise, I would take their opinions on the subject over those of someone who's clearly not an expert on videogame statistics. To be honest, I would actually like to see more family friendly titles on the market, and think younger audiences are being left out in the cold, but that's a separate issue. If adults didn't play videogames, no adults would be discussing videogames on forums all over the internet. I'm 24, and here I am discussing videogames with all of you.

sacrip wrote:
I haven't given up ALL video games, of course, but certain types, like MMO's or Mafia Wars/Farmville type games I'll never play again. At some point, I just realized that, for me, playing a game that doesn't test my skill or have a definite end to work towards just isn't for me. I don't know if I'd call it growing up, but it was a change in thinking from where I was. Pencil and paper RPG's are still something I'd enjoy, though, if I could just find a good group.

There's no correlation between that and "growing up". What you are experiencing is an accumulation of all your videogame experiences over the years. You have developed a greater understanding of what it is you like, and what it is you don't like. That comes from experience. You have to play games to find out if you like them, or don't like them. Once you've played enough, you can then begin to draw your lines in the sand. If you discuss videogames with me for any length of time, you'll find that I have strong opinions on certain subjects, but that wasn't always the case. As a kid, I could play almost anything that was put in front of me and get some enjoyment out of it, even if it was widely regarded as terrible(which I wouldn't have known at the time). I couldn't do that anymore, that's for sure. I know my opinion doesn't always follow the norm, so I'm well enough informed that I can be fairly sure of what I'm getting myself into whenever I pick up a game of any sort, without having to do any kind of research. I used to gravitate towards games that were popular in my social circle, simply because all the other kids were playing them, and not because I had an opinion of my own, but those days are long since over.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2012, 3:29 am

Some people just can't get past "x or y is just for kids!"

iggy64
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Oct 2012, 4:20 pm

Video games are stereotypically just for kids and bloodthirsty teenagers? I really had no idea. Most of the gamers I know seem to be in their 30s. In fact, the average age of gamers (certainaly in some genres) is moving up in sync with that generation.

BottleCap
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2012, 5:12 pm

I couldn't imagine my life without video games.
Their loss, I guess.

BlueMax wrote:
Some people just can't get past "x or y is just for kids!"

Yeah, this I feel is one of the biggest problems with society, such as "you can't do that because you're whatever!".

BrokenEnvoke
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2012, 12:47 am

I found it hilarious when I heard in my University's cafeteria some group discussing how "video games are childish" and "adults play football/ice hockey sport games"
At that point I just wanted to throw my plate at them, and bash them with my chair and punch them aND SALT THE WOUNDS BURN THEIR BODIES DRINK THEIR BLOOD BLOOD BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE.

Gamers bloodthirsty? Psssh~

Alberto
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Oct 2012, 9:32 pm

Played video games since I was like 7 when I got super mario world, 25 now and doen't see myself quitting. My stepfather is 68 and he plays mincraft all the time with my younger brother. He's also played call of duty and other games also, he's the Pc gamer and some console gamer like myself. I don't get to play as much as I did when I was teenager of course because of work, but I still enjoying fragging people. :P

I'm also into simracing using a wheel for racing games, theirs also a big following with this, not as big as the shooters. Theirs a channel on youtube called simracingtonight that has two middleaged guys that review and play simracing games and review wheels for games.

Ash_Darkside
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Oct 2012, 5:59 pm

I'll die with a game controller taped to may hands.

EnglishJess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2012, 5:52 am

I don't play a lot of games but my Stepdad (and sometimes my Mum) does. Age has never really mattered to me. Probably because I'm used to it.