Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

02 Dec 2012, 8:42 pm

I love retro gaming, and retro music. At times, I like to play retro tunes as I play my NES games, to set a certain mood to a game. It makes it, well, 20% cooler, I feel.

Who does what I like to do at times? :D

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

transformingcar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 11:21 pm

Hmmm.... I like to listen to music that best suits the game I am playing...
that's why I enjoy those youtube channels with the video game music videos!

cammyyy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Dec 2012, 11:33 pm

Usually I listen to the ingame soundtrack, but if it's Battlefield 3 and I'm in an aircraft (which I almost always am) I put on Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries.

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 2:08 am

Usually the in game soundtrack. I find it important for the timing in action/puzzle games, and the mood/environment in RPGs.

The only time I'd consider playing other music would be a game where the music and sound effects are repetitive and not notable or required for solid gameplay. Disgaea's item world and Dragon Quest Monsters' dungeons are good examples. Also certain rogue-likes. In those instances I'll probably be listening to whatever I'd otherwise already be listening to.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

03 Dec 2012, 10:43 am

I feel by putting in retro tunes to my NES playing, it kinda gives me a feel that I am living in 1989 again. :D

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

03 Dec 2012, 1:22 pm

I like to play unfitting music to Skyrim. It makes the game really enjoyable when you're listening to Ievan Polkka. :lol:

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Dec 2012, 1:38 pm

I'm a music lover, so yes, I love a good piece of music in games. I rarely turn it off.

I really appreciate music from older games, like NES games, because musicians had to invent catchy melodies instead of fully relying on sound quality. You can always re-make catchy melodies and give them a modern spirit.

For example:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyMKWJ5e1kg[/youtube]

Orchestral remake:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWiKB0ZqfFA[/youtube]

Another example:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqFhczSljwM[/youtube]

Remake:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn9ub_aULgw#t=5s[/youtube]

I like music from modern games too. Unreal Tournament series and Crysis 2 (the music was brilliant, the gameplay worse) are examples of my taste.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 5:45 pm

Yep. Usually power metal or electronic music.

When I game, I wanna get pumped. I want to get ready to go fast or kill things.

You will reap what you've sown.

Watilla
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Dec 2012, 8:57 am

It has to be the in-game music for me.

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 1:51 pm

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
I like to play unfitting music to Skyrim. It makes the game really enjoyable when you're listening to Ievan Polkka. :lol:

I also play music to Skyrim but for me its usually the soundtrack to one of the LOTR movies - usually The Two Towers - it fits the game so well.

And of course there's Audiosurf, where the game is based on the music that you play :)

CrystalStars
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 2:20 pm

Almost always in shooters, but not so much for any other genre. If it's single player (which it almost always is) I won't listen to my own music until the second playthrough, but it's easier to concentrate and do well when I'm playing my own music.

Entek
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Dec 2012, 11:37 am

Battlefield 3 and classical music all the way - unless its "Two steps from hell" - those are some really catchy dramatical epic music.

CrystalStars
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 11:43 am

Entek wrote:
Battlefield 3 and classical music all the way - unless its "Two steps from hell" - those are some really catchy dramatical epic music.

Two Steps From Hell goes well with just about anything.

Entek
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Dec 2012, 3:00 pm

Your not kiddin - Tetris played to Two Steps from Hell becomes the most epic sorting of colored blocks in the entire universe - and washing up (not a game, in real life) becomes so dramatic that finishing it all makes you want to jump in victory :P

BeauZa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Dec 2012, 5:21 am

I have enjoyed listening to Rush's album, 'Grace Under Pressure', while playing Yu-Gi-Oh!: Forbidden Memories... it beats the tedium of the in-game music by far.

I have also enjoyed playing Call Of Duty to the music of System Of A Down; the latter is invigorating and makes me perform better at the former.

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2012, 10:35 am

Personally, I'm more of an in-game music kinda guy, which suits the genres of the games I usually play. I'd rather give the composers of the music their due diligence and keep it on at all times.

BeauZa wrote:
I have enjoyed listening to Rush's album, 'Grace Under Pressure', while playing Yu-Gi-Oh!: Forbidden Memories... it beats the tedium of the in-game music by far.

:o :o You know about Forbidden Memories!! I thought it was long forgotten! Personally, the only music I find tedious from that game is this track, since you're forced to play through that mode for most of the game to get all the good cards.

Then I have done my job