Am I the Only One Who Hates Multiplayer?

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 10:52 am

Maybe I grew up on games that were the definition of a gamer locked away in a dark room, but I honestly am not a fan of online multiplayer. Am I the only one like this? Maybe it is just that video games shifted from a seclusion past time, to a multiplayer frenzy that rivals blockbuster movies. As for me, I will keep my nes, snes, and n64, and you can keep you Wiis and other fangled games . :D

BrokenEnvoke
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Dec 2012, 10:55 am

Not a fan either, because losing hurts my confidence haha...ha..

hyksos55
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 11:08 am

I refuse to play multiplayer games. I play games to escape people not to intermingle with them.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 11:09 am

hyksos55 wrote:
I refuse to play multiplayer games. I play games to escape people not to intermingle with them.
My point in case :D .

hyksos55
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 11:19 am

zacb wrote:
Gary Johnson 2016(look him up)

I know him, voted for him this year. Hoping to vote for him in 2016.

Ramba_Ral
Raven
Raven

12 Dec 2012, 11:44 am

don't like it but when i play on it i mute everyone i possibly can.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 11:53 am

The main problem with multiplayer are the damn multiplayers.

It's only good when you play against friends only.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

12 Dec 2012, 12:35 pm

I only like multi-player when it isn't forced upon me.

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 1:55 pm

I really dislike online multiplayer. Feels like I might as well be playing with bots. Local multiplayer is fun with the right people though.

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 2:56 pm

I'm alright with multiplayer - I tend to play League a lot myself.

Voice chat is what I can't stand - text is much easier for me.

Author/Writer

Tsproggy
Toucan
Toucan

12 Dec 2012, 4:02 pm

Probably because today's multiplayer games are all intensely competitive or try to be. Everyone wants stats against their friends for bragging rights. But for people like us who might not have as many friends this is less appealing because we'll pretty much be alone in a crowd. If we somehow do well we're called things like "basement dweller, hacker, etc". Mingling with the online gamer master race is always a lose/lose in my book.

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 4:35 pm

I don't have the attention span for single-player games anymore, and prefer gaming as a social activity. Though multiplayer is better when playing with people you are familiar with.

Also is it just me, or was Xbox Live better, and more social, back on the original Xbox? Unless their microphone broke, everybody on Xbox Live had a headset, and sometimes the host of a game would go as far as kicking people without one because the norm at the time was that everyone was using voice chat, and actually talking. Two of my favorite games on there, Midtown Madness 3 and Steel Battalion: Line of Contact, I would have not enjoyed nearly as much, nor played for as long as I did, without everyone utilizing voice chat. They also had some pretty decent communities on those games and the voice chat resulted in some of the best teamwork I have ever seen in any online game to date.

On the Xbox 360 at this point, you rarely see people with a mic plugged in, or they are in a party chat with their friends so you can't communicate with them anyways. On Halo 4 for instance, even when playing team-based modes, no one is communicating or actually working as a team.

JPanzer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 5:45 pm

I'll play it, but I prefer playing with friends.
I wonder if the addition of viewing K/D ratios in-game and some games generally rewarding personal effort by challenges et cetera played some role in people being less...involved with multiplayer.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 6:57 pm

i play a lot of multiplayer games when i have the chance.

world of tanks allows a fun and fast depiction of tank v tank tactics, against bots it would be tedious, it is the competition that gives it an edge.

my minecraft world is mostly used by real life friends so i enjoy spending time with them there.

all that said i dont find every multiplayer game to be fun and community is important in that assesment.

there are also things that simply cannot be done properly in multiplayer.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 8:07 pm

I hate playing against JERKS! You know the types... the ones that bend every rule to steal, take more than their share and ruin the game for everyone else. The ones that get off on making people MAD.

Tsproggy
Toucan
Toucan

12 Dec 2012, 8:24 pm

BlueMax wrote:
I hate playing against JERKS! You know the types... the ones that bend every rule to steal, take more than their share and ruin the game for everyone else. The ones that get off on making people MAD.

^ Couldn't have said it better myself.