a huge nostalgic feeling from games you grew up with

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASSti
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Feb 2013, 3:33 pm

i find myself arguing over and over again about how great zelda a link to the past is as it is my favourite game EVER! I didn't know why i loved it so much and . then i found out I had played it when I was very young. (i don't know what age). as a teen I started playing again. I played it and beat ganon easily. i didnt remember the game from my youth but i felt drawn towards it and i completed it 20 times or more. it might be my ADD and aspie qualities that makes me so nostalgic towards old video games and other certain things that i grew up with. does anyone else have a similar experience? or are interested in Retro?

Pyrite
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 4:02 pm

I think it's a human thing not an Aspie thing, Aspies aren't a large enough market to make Nintendo keep it's nostalgia based franchises like Mario and Zelda alive (they still do 2D platformers!).

Personally, I'm more of a Link's Awakening kind of guy. :wink:

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 4:03 pm

I'm more nostalgic for games I never got to play when I was a kid and they were popular. I was born in 1993 so I was a toddler when my dad asked me whether I wanted to rent Oracina of Time or Oracina of Seasons at blockbuster. I was young and I didn't know too much of video games which meant I didn't understand how to decide. I ended up making no decision and I didn't rent either game.

So a couple years ago I bought one of those games on ebay. I also want to get old final fantasy titles from before I played video games as well as the ones I chose not to play because I didn't want my brothers to laugh at me.

There have also been other games from before I was born that I wanted to try but only because they were in a specific genre that I liked and I wanted to explore it more.

Ogrejoe
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Feb 2013, 4:27 pm

Nostalgia is pretty much a total human feeling. It does not happen because the past was necessarily better but because we remember it fondly because "yuuppp, those wer' tha' days."

For me, I will always be fond of Kingdom Hearts. I played it when I was 11 and 12. I adored how it blended Disney and other elements. It was also the game that got me out of that childish phase of "ohhh, it's a cartoon; that's for babied!" It got me looking at animated works as a different medium to tell stories rather than a means to only amuse kiddies.

And because of that kind of nostalgia, I will forever and totally hate Stuntman. I have never seen a more frustrating game in all my life. I am surprised I didn't suffer an aneurism from playing that spawn of Satan that came directly from the depths of Hell. The kicker is that the damned thing was actually fairly fun...

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 5:44 pm

ASSti wrote:
does anyone else have a similar experience?

Well, I do have a huge nostalgia for games I grew up with, but I doubt I could have played a game in my youth and not remember having played it...

NowhereMan1966
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Feb 2013, 6:24 pm

Every once in a while, I like to play the Apple ][ based Ultima series using an emulator. I'm on Ultima III now from 1983.

khaos
Toucan
Toucan

10 Feb 2013, 7:02 pm

One of my interests for a LONG time was video games, playing them, collecting them. Mostly all the older ones. I loved the SNES, Gameboy, Sega Genesis systems and that was what I played because it reminded me of my childhood and it helped me out by escaping. Now I have lost a lot of interest, but still play my faves as they make me nostalgic and comforted.

AS, OCD, ADHD - Diagnosed
PTSD - Undiagnosed
<"May the Gods have mercy on you for I shall show none...">

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 6:03 am

NowhereMan1966 wrote:
I'm on Ultima III now from 1983.

There's a bunch of us playing the Ultimas over at the AtariAge forums...I really need to quit slacking...

Jerricko
Raven
Raven

11 Feb 2013, 8:18 am

I get very nostalgic when playing Warcraft: Orcs and humans, though I find the less efficient controls frustrating.

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2013, 11:12 am

I actually play games and don't stop playing them for a long time like Gran Turismo 3 and gran turismo 1 don't have a ps3 so can't get 5.

NowhereMan1966
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Feb 2013, 2:01 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
NowhereMan1966 wrote:
I'm on Ultima III now from 1983.

There's a bunch of us playing the Ultimas over at the AtariAge forums...I really need to quit slacking...

I'll have to check that out. BTW, I play a lot of PS1 games too.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2013, 3:28 pm

I'm crying right now listening to this right now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EWYYzRSpMM

also 3:04 amazing!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lc073ZYEeU

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 3:43 pm

Heck yeah! My favourite games from the ps1 and ps2 come to mind. I'm still miffed that Tomba 2 was localized to the EU PS Store, but not the NA one. Guess I'll have to mess around with the account activation on my psp, and I will officially own three digital copies of Tomba 1, and two of Tomba 2(I have the JP versions). I'm not happy about having to spend money on those games yet again though. Otherwise, psn downloads are great for retro gaming.:)

BeauZa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Feb 2013, 8:15 am

I do! That's why I'm trying to get all my childhood favourites back! Needless to say I didn't know the right way to care for my discs and the lot of them just carked it.

aleclair
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Feb 2013, 12:08 pm

I grew up on DOS games. I had a shareware CD with a hundred or so of them. I still have the urge to load DOSBOX and play some of them.

There's a great feeling when someone I meet knows the more obscure ones. A couple years ago someone was describing a DOS game and I realized it was Bio Menace. I ended up going back and playing the shareware episode that day. My favorite was a strategy/puzzle game called Squarez. When I had a crappy PC it gave me years of gameplay. It's freeware now. To this date I've never met anyone who played that in the DOS days.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 3:22 pm

I believe BioMenace is freeware now, too ;)