Good ideas you would put in a video game

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ConfusedDude
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Feb 2013, 3:11 pm

When I say this, I mean the type of engine technology or the ideas you wish you would like to put in a game (it could be new or old, if you want) to make it great.

Like for example, Nintendo is saying that there will be a Legend Of Zelda Majora's Mask remake for the Nintendo 3DS (to this day, I still don't know if it's real or fake). All I'm trying to say is that when Majora's Mask came for the Nintendo 64 in 2000, every time when you tried to save your game in one of those "owl statues" here was the process: you save the game, > you quit the game, > you choose the game file with the owl face, > and then you start at the first day when you played the "Song of Time" in Clock Town. Sounds complicated, right? Now here's my idea. Every time you hit one of those "owl statues" and you're in some kind of level, you don't go to Clock Town and begin everything again. You stay in the current level, but at the beginning of the level with everything passed or unlocked, in the FIRST DAY! You just go to the destination with ease.

This what I mean by ideas.

Now, what about yours?

PIYOSOFT
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Feb 2013, 3:27 pm

Your idea with the owl statue is good but it would not fit with Majora's Mask system of "travelling back in time". I have to admit I wasn't fond of going back in time, only to repeat the same things over and over, either because of a failure (Kafei and Anju mask quest) or lack of time to finish a part.

As for me... wellI'm not sure what kind of innovative idea I could come up with. It'd require a lot of planning, however. Most ideas have been used and overdone. Yours reminds me of the typical RPG, where you save your progress along the way and don't have to restart a certain part. However, sometimes players tends to forget to save their progress (I did quite often) and ended up starting over a tedious part of the game.

Some games have auto-save features I think but I think it's more commonly used on platformer games, as well as other types but I'm just talking from playing experience. RPG still uses the old-fashioned manual type, oddly enough.

ConfusedDude
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Feb 2013, 3:47 pm

PIYOSOFT wrote:
Your idea with the owl statue is good but it would not fit with Majora's Mask system of "travelling back in time". I have to admit I wasn't fond of going back in time, only to repeat the same things over and over, either because of a failure (Kafei and Anju mask quest) or lack of time to finish a part.

As for me, well I'm not sure what kind of innovative idea I could come up with. It'd require a lot of planning, however. Most ideas have been used and overdone. Yours reminds me of the typical RPG, where you save your progress along the way and don't have to restart a certain part. However, sometimes players tends to forget to save their progress (I did quite often) and ended up starting over a tedious part of the game.

Some games have auto-save features I think but I think it's more commonly used on platformer games, as well as other types but I'm just talking from playing experience. RPG still uses the old-fashioned manual type, oddly enough.
This idea was pretty random of me, but you got one good point there, these kind of things take time.

PIYOSOFT
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Feb 2013, 4:44 pm

Yeah, it does, unfortunately.

Actually, planning a game does not just revolve on a saving system but also combat system, dialogues/instruction display, menus, sprite movement and coordinates, collision, etc. I bet you knew that already but, it's still interesting to point out to those who are curious.

Actually, I'm learning most of this in programming and the first step to build either a game or an application is to draw it out as a form of diagram (Microsoft Visio does the job), otherwise it'll be too overwhelming to remember everything.

Then again, trying to memorize all of the basics in coding is a pain in the ass in itself, especially since I'm more of a visual thinker than logical. Funny isn't it? :oops: :lol:

ConfusedDude
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Feb 2013, 5:24 pm

So Mr. or Ms. PIYOSOFT, what are your ideas in a video game?

PIYOSOFT
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Feb 2013, 6:01 pm

Haha~ I'm a Ms. but it shouldn't matter.

My ideas... well I wouldn't call them "ideas" per say but more like observations throughout the years of being a huge-arse gamer myself.

Games of today are more focused on 3D graphic improvements. I have nothing against graphics but it seems that when in comes to game functionality, this is where it takes the deep plunge. I'm not saying all games have bad functionality but many of them do and it's quite atrocious and inexcusable (I'm looking at you SEGA and your Sonic '06)!

Just what happened over time? I'm not sure but one thing I know is, it makes me just want to load SNES ROMS and play them on my laptop.

During the golden age of gaming (I think around the late 80's and 90's), we had more good games than bad in the 3D department. Although the graphics were not as developed as today, at least the functionality of those games were close to being top-notch. Of course, there were bad 3D games as well (Cybermorph... atrocious game yet game critics praised it... wtf), but not has much as today and from well known media franchise (SEGA, I am disappoint)!

Innovation's good but companies really ought to test their s**t from A to Z before publishing their game.

Anyways, I'll stop here with my wall of text but I invite you to watch 2 favorite channels of mine. They're well known and even though it is just a form of entertainment, you can learn a few things.

http://www.youtube.com/user/JamesNintendoNerd (AVGN reviews mostly old school games but, it's hilarious and straight to the point!)

http://www.youtube.com/user/gamegrumps (JonTron and Egoraptor plays while making jokes and giving their opinions)

ConfusedDude
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Mar 2013, 3:32 pm

PIYOSOFT wrote:
Haha~ I'm a Ms. but it shouldn't matter.

My ideas... well I wouldn't call them "ideas" per say but more like observations throughout the years of being a huge-arse gamer myself.

Games of today are more focused on 3D graphic improvements. I have nothing against graphics but it seems that when in comes to game functionality, this is where it takes the deep plunge. I'm not saying all games have bad functionality but many of them do and it's quite atrocious and inexcusable (I'm looking at you SEGA and your Sonic '06)!

Just what happened over time? I'm not sure but one thing I know is, it makes me just want to load SNES ROMS and play them on my laptop.

During the golden age of gaming (I think around the late 80's and 90's), we had more good games than bad in the 3D department. Although the graphics were not as developed as today, at least the functionality of those games were close to being top-notch. Of course, there were bad 3D games as well (Cybermorph... atrocious game yet game critics praised it... wtf), but not has much as today and from well known media franchise (SEGA, I am disappoint)!

Innovation's good but companies really ought to test their sh** from A to Z before publishing their game.

Anyways, I'll stop here with my wall of text but I invite you to watch 2 favorite channels of mine. They're well known and even though it is just a form of entertainment, you can learn a few things.

http://www.youtube.com/user/JamesNintendoNerd (AVGN reviews mostly old school games but, it's hilarious and straight to the point!)

http://www.youtube.com/user/gamegrumps (JonTron and Egoraptor plays while making jokes and giving their opinions)
Now that you reminded me of Sonic The Hedgehog (2006) that was perhaps one of the worst games of the Sonic franchise. They should've made it just like Sonic Adventure 1 or 2, which that reminds me, think about this for a second. Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 Remastered HD Collection exclusively for the PlayStation Vita. Now that sounds like a pretty good idea. The way Sega should've renovated their games it was when they launched Shadow The Hedgehog or Bayonetta. I'm not saying they're bad, but they should've improved their engines, images, plots, etc., just so everyone can play it. Sega stills got time to make better games just like Nintendo.

PIYOSOFT
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Mar 2013, 12:02 am

I'd play remastered versions of Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 in a jiffy, if they were to be made. I loved those games and my favorite part was the Chao Garden. Raising those cute little blue things was so much fun! I'd spend hours and hours raising their stats and changing their shapes!

i think SEGA should be bold for once and do something that Capcom dared do, and that was going back old school. They really should lay down the 3D and go back to good old genesis 16-bits 2D.

Another thing I'd like to see is a remade version of Chrono Trigger in 3D. It'd kick so much ass!

Arkio
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 2:08 pm

If Touho can have all female characters, I'd like to make a game with all male characters.

Darkone101
Toucan
Toucan

03 Mar 2013, 9:48 pm

Cut the graphics people and get more story writers.

Follow the persona games and add some history to the games.

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 12:16 pm

What I'd do?

Make all Zelda games available for the PC. Ditto for Halo. I want to be able to play these without having to own a bazillion different types of consoles. Right now Wii U looks like it would be the closest to playing nearly all of the Zelda games, but so far, it's easily in the $300-400 range. :(

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 3:57 pm

Darkone101 wrote:
Cut the graphics people and get more story writers.

Follow the persona games and add some history to the games.

Personally, I feel that voice acting has become too important. The actors are often so terrible. Using text would save space and prevent "Resident Evil"-style cognitive dissonance resulting from outrageous voice acting.

Vomelche
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2013, 7:59 am

I'd like to see an ultra realistic FPS. And, an MMO that is more interactive or like an fps. Some already came pretty close to this, but are somehow still lacking.

BooToMostStuff
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Mar 2013, 5:11 pm

Combining:- Image

With:-

I cannot take my own idea seriously, but I've always thought sly raccoon would look good with a more mature and thematic theme.

My Profile: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp5258469.html#52

ConfusedDude
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Mar 2013, 8:07 pm

BooToMostStuff wrote:
Combining:- Image

With:-

I cannot take my own idea seriously, but I've always thought sly raccoon would look good with a more mature and thematic theme.
You know? I like the way you think. It's not a bad idea at all.

BooToMostStuff
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Mar 2013, 8:48 pm

ConfusedDude wrote:
You know? I like the way you think. It's not a bad idea at all.

You know, you're the first one to say that to me. All other people have just either nodded or just sort of trailed off from it. thank you :)

My Profile: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp5258469.html#52