3DS, Vita, PS3, S4, Wii, Wii U, XBox 360 or Xbox 720

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

sixstring
Toucan
Toucan

11 May 2013, 11:11 am

It is *very* unlikely for the PS4 to launch at 600 dollars.

PS3 launched as 600 dollars and you can see what happened. PS went from the dominating console to third place, only surpassing the Xbox 360 in sales just a couple of months ago. Although to be fair, 360 was out for a year longer.

Anyway this price had several causes. First of all Sony worked together with IBM to create an entirely new chipset for PS3, called the cell processor. On top of that, they immediately introduced blu-ray, which was still very expensive back then. And finally, the massive success of PS2 made Sony arrogant, thinking they could price their console anything they want and people will still get it.

The PS4 is made from existing (but tweaked) PC hardware. Sony wants to win this generation.
Their bundle will be about 400 dollars, pretty sure of that.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 1:00 pm

I have a Xbox 360. Hence, I'd likely stay with the Xbox platform.

When it came to 360 versus PS3, the main debate was if you did online gaming. PS3 made online gaming free for all owners. Xbox Live only allows online gaming for Gold members (paid). However, for a time at least, it seemed that Xbox 360 got the better titles.

sixstring
Toucan
Toucan

11 May 2013, 1:46 pm

zer0netgain wrote:

When it came to 360 versus PS3, the main debate was if you did online gaming. PS3 made online gaming free for all owners. Xbox Live only allows online gaming for Gold members (paid). However, for a time at least, it seemed that Xbox 360 got the better titles.
Depending on taste it used to maybe.
But the last couple of years it's nothing but Halo, Gears and Forza.

I'd rather have some variation.

WorldsEdge
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 May 2013, 2:43 pm

sixstring wrote:

I stand corrected. Apologies. What's interesting is that if the $400 to $450 PS4 price holds it is another knock on the Nextbox. The rumors here are simply weird...$500 up front or $299 plus an XBLA contract of $15/month for two years? link $660 total?

For somebody like me, who basically just does the "campaigns" on games I'd feel like I was getting screwed either way under those terms. A service I don't particularly want, vs. paying a lot more for the console up-front? Of course, I suppose somebody who'd planned on buying an XBLA subscription anyways might feel like they got a deal, but I sure wouldn't.

Quote:
The PS4 is made from existing (but tweaked) PC hardware. Sony wants to win this generation.

Signs seem to be pointing that way, but we shall see.

"The man who has fed the chicken every day throughout its life at last wrings its neck instead, showing that more refined views as to the uniformity of nature would have been useful to the chicken." ? Bertrand Russell

WorldsEdge
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 May 2013, 2:49 pm

sixstring wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:

Depending on taste it used to maybe.
But the last couple of years it's nothing but Halo, Gears and Forza.

I'd rather have some variation.

I was surprised when Minecraft only came out on the XBox. Happy that I could play it on a console, don't get me wrong, but surprised in that I'd have thought the people at Mojang wouldn't have liked being off of Sony and Nintendo forever.

editROFL...I guess google (or in my case DuckDuckGo) is your friend...

Mojang to consider Minecraft for PlayStation once Microsoft exclusivity ends (link)

Though it is only a rumor, I think I'll just shut up now. :) end edit

"The man who has fed the chicken every day throughout its life at last wrings its neck instead, showing that more refined views as to the uniformity of nature would have been useful to the chicken." ? Bertrand Russell

sixstring
Toucan
Toucan

11 May 2013, 3:04 pm

WorldsEdge wrote:
sixstring wrote:

I stand corrected. Apologies. What's interesting is that if the $400 to $450 PS4 price holds it is another knock on the Nextbox. The rumors here are simply weird...$500 up front or $299 plus an XBLA contract of $15/month for two years? link $660 total?

For somebody like me, who basically just does the "campaigns" on games I'd feel like I was getting screwed either way under those terms. A service I don't particularly want, vs. paying a lot more for the console up-front? Of course, I suppose somebody who'd planned on buying an XBLA subscription anyways might feel like they got a deal, but I sure wouldn't.

Quote:

Signs seem to be pointing that way, but we shall see.
My guess is we'll see two versions, one at 400, 450 max. And a deluxe bundle ranging around 550, but with a second controller, PS+ for 3 months and such.

I also forgot to mention that the 599 PS3 also had a PS2 chipset for backwards compatibility. PS4 will just have PS4 hardware.

Anyway, Playstation 4 is focused on gamers. It seems Nextbox is focusing on being a media hub.

Keniichi
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2013, 6:41 pm

I'm thinking of getting the Wii U on double discount day. I'm not sure about the warranty though.(I won't have enough money for the warranty).