Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 12:10 pm

Is it pure nostalgia? I liked the games growing up, but find action RPGs and Monster Hunter far better.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 12:13 pm

Dragon Quest Monsters is the better game.

Andras
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 12:39 pm

It's purely nostalgia for me now. I really enjoyed playing Pokemon blue and the trading card game back in the day. Everyone was really in to it. :P

xMistrox
Toucan
Toucan

26 Apr 2013, 12:44 pm

I still enjoy turn based RPGs, like Final Fantasy and Pokemon, though I consider anything past FF10 to not be very good, Pokemon it still basically the same thing with a new package and mechanics. I quit the trading card game in the early 2000's and recently picked it up as an activity for myself and my wife to engage in. As for MMOs though, I enjoy action types like Phantasy Star, DragonNest, etc. more than WoW types these days.

RAADS-R: 189 total
Diagnosed 9/2013

Klowglas
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 1:09 pm

Yea it's pretty much for the sake of old times, it's rock-paper-scissors gameplay mechanics are mind-numbingly boring, water gym? ok I'll just load up on all my electro pokemon and faceroll the place lol.

But collection part of it is fun, the games purpose for me is pretty much to gather up all fav pokemon and then level them up and evolve them. I'll definitely buy the new game pokemon game if I get a 3ds by then.

Speaking of pokemon, one of the only movie files I keep on my cellphone is Pikachu's vacation from the first movie, it always cheers me up. (I remember skipping school just so I can stay home and watch the movie). Fun times.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 1:12 pm

I've been a Nintendo devotee for many years, but Pokemon is one of the Nintendo franchises that I like the least. It always seemed a bit overrated. PokePark 1 and 2 for the Wii are possibly the best games in the series in my opinion.

Klowglas
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 1:25 pm

Yea, i think pokemon's main appeal was the magic of it, E.G, pikachu's relationship with ash. There was never anything more to the games. Them being your best-friend really appealed to us as kids. I mean when you're a kid your dog is pretty much your best friend, and you're completely inseperable. The lyrics to the first pokemon cartoon intro show this. "It's you and me", "oh you're my best friend" etc etc.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48dh5kufu3s[/youtube]

Damnit, remember waking up to that before school? THOSE WERE THE DAYS! :cry:

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 1:55 pm

Generally, Pokemon is so popular because it's deceivingly simple. Take a five year old, give him any Pokemon game on a current generation system, and if he knows how to read he will most likely beat the game within the month. The base foundations are simple enough for anyone to grasp. But when you put in EVs and IVs and the strategic methodology of the competitive scene, it appeals to the competitive players as well.

That said, writing books fills the complexity itch for me, so I'm good :D

Author/Writer

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 2:27 pm

Zodai wrote:
Generally, Pokemon is so popular because it's deceivingly simple. Take a five year old, give him any Pokemon game on a current generation system, and if he knows how to read he will most likely beat the game within the month. The base foundations are simple enough for anyone to grasp. But when you put in EVs and IVs and the strategic methodology of the competitive scene, it appeals to the competitive players as well.

Ah, yes, I have heard of that. Technically though, you can have the same level of depth in a good action RPG.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 8:50 pm

SanityTheorist wrote:
Zodai wrote:

Ah, yes, I have heard of that. Technically though, you can have the same level of depth in a good action RPG.

While that is true, not everyone prefers action RPGs. Some people like turn-based games. Hence why there are different games for different types of players, they don't all have to be the same, in fact they shouldn't be.

AspergerGamer64
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Apr 2013, 6:07 pm

i really enjoy playing Pokemon for the nostalgia feeling every time i finish one i feel full of win :lol:

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2013, 6:40 pm

I was in highschool when we all got into Pokémon (Red and Blue, before Yellow came out and Pokémania exploded), so no nostalgia there, really.

I thought it was kind of a cute game, and a decent way to waste time, never really got into the card game or the merch or anything...never even really got into the rest of the games until much later (and I still can't bring myself to play them for more than a few days before losing interest).

It's fun to get into the whole collectathon and competition and stuff, but it's difficult when I'm lagging behind and all my friends have already beaten the game in a matter of weeks.

PsychoSarah
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2013, 8:15 pm

I think that, after emerald, the Pokémon stopped looking unique from other "collect monsters and fight them" games.

YoshiPikachu
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 11:45 am

Pokemon games aremy favorite!

8bitKnight
Raven
Raven

28 Apr 2013, 1:16 pm

I had an obsession with the game when I was younger.

Hansgrohe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Apr 2013, 1:24 pm

Really just nostalgia. Looking back at it I dislike it.