Final Fantasy-like Harry Potter video game sequel

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 10:31 pm

I think this could be interesting. Basic ideas, which I have hardly organized:

It's 2050 and the International Statute of Wizarding Secrecy is beginning to break down for two main reasons: Hordes of magic-created monsters, visible to Muggles, begin to swarm the inhabited continents of the world, causing rural and suburban areas to collapse and people to coalesce in large cities, where food is grown vertically (with some magic aiding the process); a Dark Wizard secretly becomes a defense contractor for the U.S. DOD, creating top-secret technology powered by magic, kinda like Magitek from FFVI, to eventually dominate the world--with the people stuck in the cities because of the monsters, such military forces wouldn't have to deal so much with hit-and-run rural-based rebels.

This Dark Wizard has created six Horcruxes, following Lord Voldemort's example, but he considers himself much smarter than Tom Riddle, whom he considers foolish for picking objects of sentimental value to be Horcruxes. This Dark Wizard works secretly for a foreign Minister for Magic who sees the destructive conflict the Dark Wizard is egging on as a way to finally bring witches and wizards out of hiding and to rule over Muggles, as they always should have been, but the Dark Wizard knows better than this Minister for Magic.

The game would start with a Muggle in Japan who is having to deal with an attack of Inferi on his city and who would meet up with a wizard who is a descendant of Harry Potter.

Muggle technology is becoming highly advanced to almost imitate magic; in fact, there is great fear in the Wizarding World that the Muggles, were they ever to discover that World, would have the strength to conquer it. Some brainy wizards, breaking the International Statute of Wizarding Secrecy by working with some brainy Muggles, start to create para-magic (a la FFVIII) via magic and technology to be used by Muggles to encourage cooperation and to find ways to finally incorporate technology in magical spaces (where previously magical interference would prevent the functioning of most electronic devices).

A la FFVI, the vast majority of Muggles have no clue magic exists and like in FFVI, they start to get used to its presence again as it becomes undeniable and some take up learning how to use para-magic.

Thoughts?

Andrejake
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 9:53 pm

I'm not sure if i understood exactly what this is but the proposal sounds interesting. Are you writing this story?

SpaceAgeBushRanger
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jan 2015, 12:33 am

You can make a game of FFVI graphical quality with Rpg Maker. You can see the quality of Rpg Maker games herehere. This freeware thingylooks similar, but I haven't tried it.

The plot looks intriguing. Here are some suggestions you should ignore:
-What gives RPGs that epic feeling is that the characters travel around this world. It would be good to see a Harry Potter World Tour, and your story suggestion already has elements of that. I'd like to see if there are any wizarding communities in China, Australia and Tibet. How do wizarding communities interact among cultures? Do wizards in Asia cast spells in faux medieval Chinese? I'd also like to see Viktor Krum's school and that French girl's school. A good excuse for characters travel the world could be that the Dark Wizard hid Horcruxes in famous museums around the world. Maybe they join a Quidditch team as cover and stay with each of Ron Weasley's international relatives.
-Don't be afraid to do cheap crossovers. Rowling arguably does this with her mythical allusions. In my mind Sabrina the Teenage Witch and Bewitched take place in the same continuity as Harry Potter. American wizarding society is just a bit more matriachal.
-I think you should make the Dark Wizard a woman, possibly a previously-unheard descendant of Bellatrix Lestrange and Voldemort. We've already had a Dark Lord, a Dark Lady would be something of a novelty. Hermione was always the most competent character in the franchise, if she turned bad not even Dumbledore could've stopped her. Although if a female antagonist does hide her stuff in international museums she runs the risk of being Carmen San Diego's evil counterpart.
-It'd be cool if you based the dynamic between the muggle and wizard protagonists on the film Rush Hour. Both characters must rise above their mutual suspicion and prejudice to beat up the bad guys. The wizard should be some snooty Malfoy type. The muggle should be an SJW who wisely applies the Social Model of Disability to how wizards treat squibs and muggles, and talks about Human Privilege in relation to centaurs and goblins. Basically a twenty-something Lisa Simpson.
-You'll need cameos from the characters in the books. It would be cool if after the books, Harry Potter was bribed by the Ministry of Magic to stay home and out of trouble. When the protagonists meet him, Harry has come to regret assimilating into wizard culture and wonders what he could have become had he joined muggle society as an adult. The baddies tempt Harry with visions of himself as a Mary Poppins-style social worker. Neville, on the other hand, is an awesome action hero wizard. He's introduced slowly walking away from a green explosion with a pot-plant in hand. He joins the party early on as an overleveled Guest Star Party Member, and dies as a result of his own carelessness.
-Quidditch, wizard chess, those magic cards from frogs, and potion mixing all have mini game potential.
-You should consider stripping graphics out of the Harry Potter video games, particularly the ones from Gameboy Colour and Gameboy Advance. I don't know how to do this.
-You can have a joke where the heroes stab a Horcrux, and the Queen of England dies. Wrong horcrux!
-You should also check Harry Potter fanfiction for inspiration. Look at Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, it concerns a culture clash between an Enlightenment Harry and Romantic wizards, and like your proposed story involves science encroaching on the magical world.

You should find some collaborators for this project. I'm not volunteering for anything, but the name Harry Potter still commands a tremendous amount of enthusiasm online. I'm sure you can recruit some fans to help with the script, canonical details and test-playing.

If you are seriously planning on making this game, I strongly recommend being modest and sequential in your ambitions. Instead of making one big game, make a series of small games, each with a satisfying sense of closure. Seven would be an apt number. You can give them titles like Firstname Surname and the Adjectival noun. The internet is littered with the remains of potentially great fangames abandoned by their creators. It would be more satisfying to have created an incomplete series of small games than an incomplete large game.