Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2013, 2:25 am

In response to some of the above comments, MS and the Xbox brand =/= the entire industry. I honestly think people have been giving MS too much credit for years. With that said, I wasn't expecting...that from MS. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who doesn't think gaming should be the focus of game consoles has no business producing game consoles.

Anyways, to get on topic, this sort of thing has been discussed before, fairly often. Videogames are not just for kids. In fact, kids are often forgotten by a lot of mainstream devs who produce nothing but M rated games. I've heard varying accounts of what the average age of a gamer is, but every source, or individual I've come across who has something to say on the subject, has come up with an average age of at least 30, and I think the highest I've seen is 42. But, that's the average, so for the math to work, those of us in our 20s or younger, who game, would have to be balanced out by people in their 40s or older, in addition to those who are around the so called "average" age. People who let others judge them for playing games tend to be at a young enough age that they feel what other people think about them is important, or they are falling out of love with their hobby for other reasons. It seems that most of the time, people who judge others for playing games either don't understand them well enough, and therefore don't have any proper insight to offer on the subject of videogames to someone who has to know way more about them(assuming you play, or have played them regularly), or they turn around and play some Facebook or app game, and are therefore, hypocrites.

Diamondisis
Toucan
Toucan

22 Apr 2019, 11:56 pm

A lot of adults are professional gamers. I wouldn't worry

1stSauce
Toucan
Toucan

23 Apr 2019, 12:27 am

I won't say that I've outgrown gaming completely but some of the shenanigans that go on in modern gaming are what turned me off completely. I miss solid b-titles from developers

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2019, 7:57 am

1stSauce wrote:
I won't say that I've outgrown gaming completely but some of the shenanigans that go on in modern gaming are what turned me off completely. I miss solid b-titles from developers

This is why I stopped buying AAA stuffs entirely (with the exception of specific things from Nintendo) and simply switched to indie.

Aint any of that crap going on there. And frankly the games are just better all-around anyway.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2019, 12:05 am

Personally I can’t stand Indie or Nintendo games.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2019, 11:34 pm

sly279 wrote:
Personally I can’t stand Indie or Nintendo games.

A silly view, to be honest.

I can understand not liking Nintendo's stuff... they do, after all, have an extremely distinct style that applies to all of their games. There's no escaping that style, if playing their stuff.

But not liking something "because indie"? So basically, if it doesnt have a hyper-greedy corporate master, it must be bad? Because that's EXACTLY what the meaning is, of what you just said. There's no overarching style or anything like that to indie games. Hell, there's literally no guidelines or rules whatsoever. None.

"indie" simply means "independent". As in, no need for a controlling greedy overlord. It doesnt mean "weird little artsy game", which is what I'm guessing you're thinking of. Call it a hunch.

MOST games out there are, in fact, indie games... they vastly, VASTLY outnumber AAA games. Chances are, you've played a few without realizing it. They exist in all genres (including ones that the Corporate Overlords have entirely abandoned) and in all styles. Hyper-realistic graphics? Check. Retro pixel style? Sure, got that too. Colorful nonsense? Yeah, why not? Freaking virtual reality? Yeah, pretty much ALL VR games are indie stuff, actually... the Big Guys dont like to touch VR too much yet (thankfully).

Hell, if you're one of those people that's excited for the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077, THAT is an indie game (as was Witcher 3), as CD Projekt Red does indeed count as an independent developer. They didnt get in bed with EA or Activision or anyone else. They are a self-contained entity. See what I mean? These seriously exist at all levels.

There was a time when "indie" had a bit of a different meaning, but that was a long time ago. Right now, it effectively means "not owned or in any way controlled by a greedy corporate entity". No microtransaction crap, lootboxes, or corporate design interference. Whenever I speak of indie games, THAT is what I mean. It could be something with a very low budget made by one guy, or it could be a high-budget, high-end thing made by a huge team that'll make your machine burst into flames from the sheer effort of trying to run it. All that really matters is the lack of corporate corruption and control.

Which is a huge part of why Witcher 3 was so well receieved: It didnt include corporate greed. It had none at all. NONE. Not my sort of game, that one, but boy do I have alot of respect for those guys for avoiding the greed factor and just putting out a good product.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2019, 1:01 am

99% of indie games are side platforms like Nintendo games. I don’t like those times of games. I like AAA games that are first person, shooters, survival, or action open world type games. Like battlefield, ark, red dead, gta, far cry, last of us,just cause, borderlands, division 2, ghost recon,Skyrim,fallout, metal gear solid, etc. the type of games only AAA games make. If you enjoy indie games good, but I don’t. My sister loves Nintendo games, I don’t.

It’s not not liking indie games cause their not from big companies, it’s not liking the type of games Indie companies make. With few exceptions being a game on ps vita and Subnautica(kinds boring though)
Speaking of vita, it’s lack of AAA games and being basically a indie game only device is why I deeply regret getting it and never play it anymore.
VR games look stupid, non of them make spending $400+worth it.

I didn’t like Witcher 3, seeing a theme here? So your definition of indie is anyone without a big name publisher? Disagree. Ark is independent but also a AAA game. AAAgames cost $60 indies cost $10-40

Indie games have microtransactions too. You seem to think indie means not greedy lol

Minecraft was indie and had tons of micro transactions.
I had to pay them $2-3 to look like a fox.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2019, 7:08 am

sly279 wrote:
99% of indie games are side platforms like Nintendo games. I don’t like those times of games. I like AAA games that are first person, shooters, survival, or action open world type games. Like battlefield, ark, red dead, gta, far cry, last of us,just cause, borderlands, division 2, ghost recon,Skyrim,fallout, metal gear solid, etc. the type of games only AAA games make. If you enjoy indie games good, but I don’t. My sister loves Nintendo games, I don’t.

It’s not not liking indie games cause their not from big companies, it’s not liking the type of games Indie companies make. With few exceptions being a game on ps vita and Subnautica(kinds boring though)
Speaking of vita, it’s lack of AAA games and being basically a indie game only device is why I deeply regret getting it and never play it anymore.
VR games look stupid, non of them make spending $400+worth it.

I didn’t like Witcher 3, seeing a theme here? So your definition of indie is anyone without a big name publisher? Disagree. Ark is independent but also a AAA game. AAAgames cost $60 indies cost $10-40

Indie games have microtransactions too. You seem to think indie means not greedy lol

Minecraft was indie and had tons of micro transactions.
I had to pay them $2-3 to look like a fox.

See, all of this just reeks of ignorance. REEKS of it.

I mean, really? "99% of indie games are side platforms like Nintendo games." Seriously? You... arent joking? You actually think that?

*facedesk*

I had a bunch of stuff I was considering saying to you here, until I realized the brain-melting ramifications of what you just said. I mean, you ACTUALLY think that? Seriously? What part of "indie devs get to make whatever they want" didnt make sense to you? Hell, i've DONE indie development... and whaddya know, we didnt make a platformer game. Wow, broke that rule of yours instantly, eh?

I could go on here, but that's no fun. It's usually pretty obvious when I'm dealing with someone that isnt going to listen, and wont look past their own damn nose. I mean, seriously... I've been playing indie games for YEARS, and I hardly ever touch "side platform" games, as you call them. If they seriously only made those, or *ahem* only 99% made those, I'd freaking hate them. I dont have the patience to stick to ONE genre. Duh.

I mean, hell, even Nintendo barely makes "side platform" games these days... only the Mario series and an occaisional Kirby game fits that. But you wouldnt know that, would you? You just assumed.

I could keep going, but I've a much more fun way to do this.

What's that? An open world survival game, in full glorious 3D, set in space? Oh, and it can be either first person OR third person, by the way.... I switched to third person here for the purposes of taking this pic (I thought it looked cooler). MOST of the time, this is played in first person. Oh, and this doesnt cost 60, nor will it. I think this cost me about 25? I cannot for the life of me remember the name of this one, but then, I'm not too good with names. If it comes to me I'll edit this post and put it here.

What's that? An absolutely gorgeous space game? Lots of action, fully destructible EVERYTHING, 6DoF (if you dont know what that means, dont worry about it), and way more? Huh. You know what, this ALSO never cost 60, come to think of it. I think I paid about 15 for it. Interestingly, this is also playable in VR, for those that want to... another thing you know oh so much about. But whether in VR mode or just on a normal 2D screen... this one is bloody beautiful. This game is called Everspace.

Huh, a first person action game, clearly inspired by Indiana Jones, and with an "Arabian Nights" sort of theme? Another gorgeous one. With that whip, you can do all the sorts of things you see Indiana Jones do... swing over gaps, knock enemies' weapons out of their hands, pull foes into traps, whatever, it's one hell of a versatile tool... or simply hit them with that sword, shoot them with a crossbow, or even just fling a vase at them. A game absolutely stuffed with deadly traps and monsters, the game focuses on very fast-paced action. The devs of this game are people that used to work on Bioshock... it's interesting, really, how many indie devs have prior experience in the industry like that, though you can never know that for sure unless they directly say so. Even without the big AAA money though, they made a hell of a game here. This is City of Brass. This also was not $60. I think I paid... er... 15? Was that it? Heck if I remember.

That's just three examples, of the thousand or so that I have on my machine here. PC gamer here, you see, though I have consoles as well (but dont like them much). Again, MOST of the games I play are not platformers. Dont get me wrong: I do like platformers. But if I played JUST platformers, I'd go out of my mind. Same with retro-style games... I sure do love those, but I dont ONLY play those. I like all sorts of games in all sorts of genres.

And before you say "OMG but those arent MILITARY FPS SHOOTERS", that's because one of the few genres I wont touch is, in fact, FPS military shooters.

Understand: I could easily give loads of examples of INDIE games that are in that genre, you know, the one you say only AAA devs can make. But I wont use examples that I havent played myself, mainly because I'm too bloody lazy to go gather screenshots or gifs from games I'm not personally familiar with (even if I've seen some of those games many, many times). But believe me, not only are they out there, but they are common. Indie devs like those genres just as much as you do. They also like games like Skyrim just as much as you do, and those are out there too. Indie devs like those sorts too. Did you seriously think they wouldnt? Are you joking? Ever heard that "blanket statements" are stupid? 'Cause they kinda are.

But blanket statements and assumptions are all you had here. The assumptions I've heard 100000 times over in the last 10 years. I've kinda done this conversation many, many times at this point.

LIKE I ALREADY SAID. There are no restrictions on what these developers can make. They make what THEY want to. If they want to make a realistic, gritty, military FPS shooter? They can do that (and boy have they, over and over again...). If they want to make a party game about exploding cartoon chickens, they can do that. What part of "there are no restrictions" didnt make sense here? I could swear I distinctly said that in an earlier post.

I mean, really. "99% of indie games are platformers". Good grief. I'm not even joking when I say that's one of the most ignorant gaming-related lines I've heard in the last 5 years. Even most AAA-focused gamers know that one isnt true.

Oh, and as for the bit about greed: Dude, I never said that indie devs couldnt be greedy. They're human. OF COURSE they can be greedy. That's a given!

But here's the thing: The greed ratio is MUCH lower. AAA devs, they pull this ALL the time, and they get away with it, every time. Even when "controversy" strikes, they will still profit massively. When an indie dev tries to pull that... they often collapse entirely! They dont have the piles of lawyers and a massive bank vault standing behind them. They usually DONT get away with it, which is why you rarely run into actual things like that among those. I've been playing indies for a LONG time now... and MAYBE twice have I run into something nasty after having bought a game. That's twice in many years. Not like, twice in the last week. It's usually stupidly obvious when a developer is a nasty one, and they usually vanish before too long. Look up "Digital Homicide" for a fantastic example of what happens when indies fall to the Dark Side. Most indie devs though are just normal people making a product they're proud of... that's why the greed ratio is low. There's little purpose in being an indie dev if you're JUST out for profit.... if that's the case, go work for the Big Guys instead, since that's what they're all about.

And that's all I'm going to say on the matter... this conversation ends here. Again, I've done this before, many, MANY times at this point. Had this exact same arguement, with the exact same "facts" thrown at me, in the exact same way, by someone with the exact same ASSUMPTIONS (note I keep using that word). And you're doing this towards someone (me) who has not only been into this stuff for YEARS, but also has had the opportunity to jump into development, and even make a few industry connections. Hell, I've been doing internal testing since... er... longer than I want to think about. Probably since around 2003, I think? Ugh. But that's what happens when you have free time, all the time, I suppose. So when I say "into this stuff" I dont just meant it in the "I really like it" sense. It goes a good bit further than that, in my case.

But yeah, that's the end of this silly debate... it's a waste of time to continue past this point. What you do with all of this info is your problem, not mine. I know some people like debates and such, and will continue them for long periods, but I'm not one of those... I'm usually good for like 2 or 3 posts and then my limited interest starts to break. So dont expect any further responses from me on this one (I say this so you dont waste your own time typing a response that may not actually get seen). I'm ready to move towards other topics.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2019, 7:11 am

Oh, and one more thing, sir:

Minecraft, Java edition... you know, the original.

It has no microtransactions. Not even one. Iv'e been playing it since it first appeared. Chances are, I know more about Minecraft than anyone else here.

What you're thinking of is the BEDROCK edition of the game. That's the one that appears on consoles. But the Java edition is the actual main one and the actual original. I mean, paying for skins? No. I can use whatever skin I want, on whatever map I want, hell, I can modify the entire game, and I dont have to pay for any of it. That's how it's always been.

The bedrock edition of the game did not appear until AFTER Microsoft bought Mojang. Interestingly though, the Java edition is STILL the core. You mention greed, and while Microsoft's greed is proven... it's so easy to play all of Minecraft without ever going near that.

Just thought I'd point that out, meant to add that to my previous post.

Anyway, that's enough out of me on all of this. I'm now officially burnt out on this topic.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2019, 7:18 am

I don't play video games nearly as much as I used to, but I still play them once in a while. I actually bought a bunch of Steam games recently.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2019, 7:54 am

I play games frequently, and don't see that changing anytime soon at the age of 33. However I would say that my tastes have changed over time and that those changes have probably been related to me becoming older.

For example, I used to like JRPGs but as I've gotten older I've less time for that sort of grinding gameplay loop, and the stories which usually revolve around teenagers saving the world often feel trite now. That said, it could also be a matter of the quality of those titles - Persona 5 for example stands out for me as brilliant despite being exactly that sort of game.

Also, I feel like I've grown out of playing MMOs because they tend to demand a large amount of time. In fact, any game that has some sort of mechanic that encourages you to log in regularly really irritates me, eventually getting to the point where I resent the game. Unfortunately these mechanics are also in games that I enjoy, such as Warframe and Elite Dangerous.

As I've gotten older I've also gravitated towards games with shorter playtimes. I enjoy games with long playtimes still, but quite often I just don't finish them, and so the ones that are shorter that I therefore finish tend to leave a more lasting impression on me. I'm therefore more likely to make impulse buys of games like Puyo Puyo, Audica, and Touhou, whereas something more long form like Sekiro which I know I would love get put on the backburner because I know I won't have a good amount of time to devote to them.

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2019, 7:37 pm

I know some people in their 30's and 40's still playing. But, others have quit. I think it depends on whether or not your tastes change and what's going on in your real-life.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2019, 1:15 am

I don’t and will never play pc. Indie games on console are side scrolling platform games for the most part.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2019, 2:04 am

My taste in the types of games that draw my attention has certainly changed as I have aged. There is a lot less I am interested in today where when I was younger there was a lot more I was interested in including PVP, PVP doesn't draw my attention like it used to. When I was younger, I was more of a killer gamer type, now I am mostly an explorer/achiever and rarely a killer. My dad plays games and he is in his 70's. It is just another form of entertainment today and It's socially acceptable, though annoyingly it seems that stigma is still hanging around that it's just for kids. I started playing video games on platforms like the Atari 2600, Commodore 64, the Coleco Adam and at arcades. I have no plans to stop gaming anytime soon.

JonWood007
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 May 2019, 3:41 pm

I notice as i get older i go through cycles. Sometimes im REALLY into gaming where im like obsessed and wanna play a game for hours, other times I'm bored with it and focus on other things. Really depends on the kinds of games out and how much they grab me. Sometimes i can't get enough of gaming other times i feel like im forcing myself to play. I'd say my entertainment threshold has become higher as i got closer to 30. While I would be entertained by even a simple deathmatch shooter like 10 years ago now I need something bigger and grander and deeper to really get hooked. I wouldnt say this is the same as growing out of games but I will say there are times I don't feel I get the enjoyment out of it I would've 5-10 years ago.

RDOS: NT- 93, ND- 119

PaperTrails
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jun 2019, 6:58 am

In answer to the original post, you might grow out of it, it can happen.
On the other hand I still play RPGs (but not MMORPGs as I am aware these are mega-addictive and eat time), amongst other things. My interest has never waned since the zx spectrum days I just spend less time on this particular hobby.